Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Michael O'Neill - An Uncle Tom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Michael O'Neill - An Uncle Tom
    Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 11:52am
Having another go at the FAI for only targeting Nationalist players from up north.  As if a Unionist will want to play for the EIREConfused
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 12:09pm
Loves taking the soup 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 12:24pm
Not a massive fan of Michael O'Neill but the program itself looks potentially interesting, albeit there will undoubtedly be a northern slant. The interviews with the likes of Sykes and McGinn will probably be worth a watch.

As for the quote, it's just poor journalism to get a lazy headline for the paper really. I mean, of course the FAI will primarily speak to nationalist players, Ethan f**king Galbraith is hardly going to declare for us, is he?

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 1:23pm
What a plonker LOL

...I mean, we could try take all their decent players if he wants us to?

Edited by Bandwagon - 05 Dec 2021 at 2:06pm
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 1:47pm
Unfortunately we missed out on Conor Bradley of Liverpool but no guarantee he'll ever deliver on his early potential. The equally hyped when young Ryan McLaughlin and Shane McLoughlin didn't, they both played for Morecambe yesterday in the FA Cup. Apart from Bradley not much coming through, the senior NI team has been down to one or two token nationalists for some time now.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 2:20pm
Same lad probably belting out A Nation Once Again at his Local
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Unfortunately we missed out on Conor Bradley of Liverpool but no guarantee he'll ever deliver on his early potential. The equally hyped when young Ryan McLaughlin and Shane McLoughlin didn't, they both played for Morecambe yesterday in the FA Cup. Apart from Bradley not much coming through, the senior NI team has been down to one or two token nationalists for some time now.

Shane McLoughlin's from Kerry.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 3:19pm
Frustrating like in there from our old gaffer, Martin:

“You certainly feel the North is handicapped in many ways by the rules as they stand. Maybe they should be looked at again, I don’t know.”

I mean, the "I don't know" at the end is an utter cop out. And how should the rules be altered? I hazard a guess that he carries an Irish passport (he may have both he is entitled to). So what change is made to the rules? I would argue that there are many in the North (note how he says "the North") that feel "handicapped" to by a few things, notably the foundation of a state around then in 1921.

I'm sure he was speaking to his audience but he knew his audience when he was taking 7 figures from it too. 

I like him as a man, by the way, and hold no strong view with or against him as a manager. 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Not a massive fan of Michael O'Neill but the program itself looks potentially interesting, albeit there will undoubtedly be a northern slant. The interviews with the likes of Sykes and McGinn will probably be worth a watch.

As for the quote, it's just poor journalism to get a lazy headline for the paper really. I mean, of course the FAI will primarily speak to nationalist players, Ethan f**king Galbraith is hardly going to declare for us, is he?

Funny you say Ethan Galbraith. I have no idea his background but it's funny seeing Sammy Clingan tweeting mad about Celtic and knowing Chris Baird is from a similar background. I would completely have pegged them the other way. And then there's the we approached Paddy McNair who, by accounts, wasn't minded to entertain. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 3:30pm
Nevermind

Edited by Bandwagon - 05 Dec 2021 at 3:31pm
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 3:54pm
Always felt Martin and Michael were more comfortable identifying as Ulstermen than Irishmen.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 4:01pm
Part Ulstermen
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 4:09pm
Martin was an outstanding Gaelic footballer in his youth but did apply for the England manager's job once. He might have done more to nail down some of the dual nationality players when he managed Ireland. Sammy Clingan is from the Falls Road in Belfast, Chris Baird is I think a "50/50" ( parents from both sides ), Paddy McNair possibly also.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Funny you say Ethan Galbraith. I have no idea his background but it's funny seeing Sammy Clingan tweeting mad about Celtic and knowing Chris Baird is from a similar background. I would completely have pegged them the other way. And then there's the we approached Paddy McNair who, by accounts, wasn't minded to entertain. 

Galbraith went to Glengormley High School. I worked with a girl who went there in the 1990s and she used to tell me stories about wannabe UVF lads running around the school grounds in balaclavas with guns. It sounded absolutely mental.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Martin was an outstanding Gaelic footballer in his youth but did apply for the England manager's job once. He might have done more to nail down some of the dual nationality players when he managed Ireland. Sammy Clingan is from the Falls Road in Belfast, Chris Baird is I think a "50/50" ( parents from both sides ), Paddy McNair possibly also.

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 9:19pm
My god where to start ?

Actually I couldn't be bothered with the

players we  lost  - no we didn't  - the telephones weren't down from Belfast to Dublin so pick up a fukin phone

the rules should be changed  - no they shouldnt you dumb fuk and you managed us ? - god help us  (but he managed celtic so he gets a bye - does he fuk  )

Its a great wee place now  - now its not and nor will it ever be - so stick your Norn Iron identity whefe the sun don't shine (and spare us the latest NI life an times survey )  

Uncle Tom  - click bait
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 11:40pm
I don't understand what I am supposed to be outraged at.
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 9:42am
Martin O'Neill and Michael O'Neill arguing that Irish players should not be allowed play for Ireland. I always felt that Martin O'Neill considered it a major chore to have to manage Ireland. If he had gotten the England job, he would have waxed lyrical on what a honour and privilege it was. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic