You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Qatar 2022 accommodations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:35pm
it’s probably where do you draw the line ? 

Russia doesn’t exactly have clean hands and continues to perpetrate abuse and destabilise regions who any of us have boycotted it ? I know I wouldn’t of 

China ? If the wc was in China would we boycott ? 

No easy answers though I can safely say had not wish ever there go to Qatar or any of those ‘ playboy’ countries 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sponsored Links

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:43pm
How about starting with football infrastructure? And with the stadiums that will host these games? Forget the overall regime for a second. Thousands are literally dead so that well off people can watch a football match. I can't understand how that wouldn't make everyone sick. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Lansdown Roar View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lansdown Roar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:59pm
As Newry just mentioned where do you draw the line? Russia has a deplorable human rights record and look what they do the LGBT community in Chechnya. Don’t remember people saying here they wouldn’t travel to that tournament.

Next World Cup after this in USA, how many civilians do they kill in the act of war each year. We could go on all day here. To call someone a soulless individual for attending a World Cup is a bit far IMO and that’s what my comment was aimed at. 
They've only gone and done it
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

How about starting with football infrastructure? And with the stadiums that will host these games? Forget the overall regime for a second. Thousands are literally dead so that well off people can watch a football match. I can't understand how that wouldn't make everyone sick. 

Does it really make a difference if they died in the stadium construction or in mining the resources they built the stadiums hotels etc 
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Lansdown Roar Lansdown Roar wrote:

As Newry just mentioned where do you draw the line? Russia has a deplorable human rights record and look what they do the LGBT community in Chechnya. Don’t remember people saying here they wouldn’t travel to that tournament.

Next World Cup after this in USA, how many civilians do they kill in the act of war each year. We could go on all day here. To call someone a soulless individual for attending a World Cup is a bit far IMO and that’s what my comment was aimed at. 

For me the difference is that so many people have died as a direct result of their preparations for the World Cup. Russia's domestic policy with regard to gay rights is there regardless of them hosting a football tournament. The same goes for America's foreign policy. The same cannot be said for Qatar. There are people dead as a direct consequence of them hosting the World Cup.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Know the Eire won’t be there, but anyone else planning on going to the World Cup? If so, has anyone booked accommodations yet?

It has been very difficult to book anything.  Everything is being centralised.

I booked a few nights on vrbo in the summer but when I contacted the place to try and join the gaps they cancelled my booking.  Vrbo are useless aka AirBnB and 100% allow the owners to cancel resell etc.

I have a booking on expedia for some of the nights I want but not a lot of confidence in it.    

They say there will be a bed for every ticket holder.  It is worth signing up here but too early to get anything on it

Time will tell but I don't believe it will be one big ripoff aka South Africa.  It is more of the Russian model of showcasing the country and ensuring as little price gouging as possible.  

Anyone else try using the link? I keep getting an error message saying 'email address not valid'. Confused
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 5:17am
It will be a disaster for accommodation IMO. Well, reasonably priced accommodation anyway.

I can see people flying in and out from surrounding countries; UAE being one.

It'll be a soulless WC, especially compared to previous ones with fan zones or drinking in squares, etc, which are huge parts of the fan experience. 

Even putting aside the obvious human rights issues, I don't see why any one would want to go. 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

For me the difference is that so many people have died as a direct result of their preparations for the World Cup. Russia's domestic policy with regard to gay rights is there regardless of them hosting a football tournament. The same goes for America's foreign policy. The same cannot be said for Qatar. There are people dead as a direct consequence of them hosting the World Cup.

That's it exactly
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 8:52am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

It will be a disaster for accommodation IMO. Well, reasonably priced accommodation anyway.

I can see people flying in and out from surrounding countries; UAE being one.

It'll be a soulless WC, especially compared to previous ones with fan zones or drinking in squares, etc, which are huge parts of the fan experience. 

Even putting aside the obvious human rights issues, I don't see why any one would want to go. 
Yeah I have no interest whatsoever in going to this World Cup. There's nothing appealing about this country.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 9:45am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

That's it exactly

That’s fair comment but given the boom in construction in all those gulf states abuse and exploitation of construction workers didn’t start with Qatar getting the World Cup nor will it end 

Like I said I have no interest in going to any of those states 

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

That's it exactly

That’s fair comment but given the boom in construction in all those gulf states abuse and exploitation of construction workers didn’t start with Qatar getting the World Cup nor will it end 

Now i know it would have never happened NR but did think if you could stay in Iran and travel back and forward for games it would have been something , would have loved to tried that one .
Hummm tried to get through Iran once filled out all the forms for a visa and was told come back in 3 months time , he knew i only had 2 months left on my visa in Pakistan Angry

Edited by Claret Murph - 23 Nov 2021 at 12:07pm
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
craiglen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craiglen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 4:06pm

It's not, it's bang on the mark. 

If you take the whataboutery approach you'll end up justifying everything and no one gets held to account. Where people decide to draw the line is entirely up to themselves. For most, knowing that untold thousands have died as a direct result of awarding the World Cup to Qatar is more than enough to make this tournament repulsive to them. 

I wonder where you draw your line, if that isn't bad enough for you or others.
Fan's game record: 5 Caps, 1 goal, 2 assists, 140 km covered
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

That's it exactly

Now i know it would have never happened NR but did think if you could stay in Iran and travel back and forward for games it would have been something , would have loved to tried that one .
Hummm tried to get through Iran once filled out all the forms for a visa and was told come back in 3 months time , he knew i only had 2 months left on my visa in Pakistan Angry

Iran is a dry state murph afaik so feck that 
Ecumenical Matter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecumenical Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 8:19am
Everything about Qatar WC stinks.  Ireland were right to avoid it.   In any event, why go to a tournament when we haven’t qualified?

Edited by Ecumenical Matter - 24 Nov 2021 at 8:42am
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 9:16am

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

That's it exactly

Iran is a dry state murph afaik so feck that 
Yer drink is not everything NR , now meet a few who had travelled across Iran in the past and raved about the country and thier people .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 11:50am
I’ve just been in Doha for a few days. It’s an awful place. It’s a travesty for the tournament that it’s been held here. 
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

I’ve just been in Doha for a few days. It’s an awful place. It’s a travesty for the tournament that it’s been held here. 

Can you elaborate on what made it so awful? 
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 1:13pm
I’ll try……

There’s no people! Huh? What? Of course there’s people I hear you say LOL

Let me explain. They have this brilliant underground that goes all over the place, but it’s empty. I was walking through these massive stations and I genuinely wasn’t seeing another person. It was really weird. 

They have parks with no one in them. They have seafront walks that no one uses. They have a city centre beach that was empty. 

Now I know the heat is excessive at this time, but even after the sun went down there still wasn’t the hustle and bustle you’d expect in a big city. 

There’s a 12 lane motorway that passes right by the final stadium in Lusail City (we’ll come back to that in a minute), but there’s hardly a car on it. Even the 8 lane roads in the city have very little traffic. 

Lusail city…… The so called city that makes it look like all the games aren’t being played in Doha. It’s not built. It’s just a big building site with construction work and cranes everywhere. There’s big empty spaces that wouldn’t look out of place on the moon. Barren with piles of rock and sand. Even around the stadium there’s construction work, unfinished buildings that won’t be finished in a few weeks, the pavements are all broken and need major repairs. The tram out to the stadium isn’t operational yet (but the underground is).

There’s no pubs or socialising culture. When you do see people, it’s men. It’s really noticeable how few women are out and about and they’re nearly all covered from head to toe. Even the underground has separate carriages for “family’s” (women). The beach at Katara has a men only section and a family section. Single men aren’t allowed mix. 

There’s plenty of shopping malls full of high end shops if you’re into that sort of thing. 

I’m not sure how to post videos or photos on this site, so I got my niece to upload this clip to tictok. This is the biggest station on the underground system, where 3 lines intersect with each other, the Gold, Green and Red lines. It’s empty! Imagine that station in any other city. It’s not a freak moment as the station closes, it was like this for every journey at all times of the day!

To some up, it’s just a fake, soulless city in the middle of a desert. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic