Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Luxembourg Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:13pm
Also its vital we keep hold of Anthony Barry.  No coincidence results have picked up since he came onboard.  Kenny was stuck on 4-3-3 until Barry had some input.  Everything is settled now.  Very important thats theres no morr chamges to the staff.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

dwilliams100100 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwilliams100100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:14pm
Couldn't give a bollox about anyone else's opinion anyways. First time in a while we've actually been able to watch an Ireland team play football and actually have some optimism in terms of a proper crop of young players.

Onwards and upwards. ybig
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Will the lads who picked up another booking be suspended for the first nations league game or us that booking going all the way to the 2026 qualifying? 

NL

Thumbs Up
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:21pm
First off job done. I wanted us to go and win this as they are the sort of plucky 4th seed you need to go and beat if you want to qualify for these tournaments. 

We done it and could have scored more despite the formation being a mess and a bit of a meltdown early in the 2nd half. 

Kenny needs to stop playing 5-2-3. It doesn't work Azer we messed up at home tonight we nearly got caught. 

Ogbene was class. Knight when he came on added a bit of composure and quality we badly lacked and do lack.. Even Brady called him class and he very negative. 

Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:34pm
I thought we were average enough for 60 mins but the last 30 was excellent and we put them to the sword. Before the game I was undecided on Kenny for the Euros but now I must say he has earned a crack at it going on the second half of the campaign which has been very decent Bar the Azerbaijan home game. Knight and Ogbene surely have played themselves into the team tonight especially and I like the look of the team going forward if we stick to the 3-4-2-1. Fair play to Kenny.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:35pm
What I find hilarious is for the Kenny haters it’s job done, we took the 3 points….
But for those who look at the bigger picture we were so open first half it could’ve been any score. This team though, they make mistakes, management included but they work for each other, they work for SK and they’ve started to produce. 
If we can tighten up at the back, who knows what will happen, one thing is for certain though they’ll have a huge backing. 
Exciting times 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Will the lads who picked up another booking be suspended for the first nations league game or us that booking going all the way to the 2026 qualifying? 

NL

Do they carry into different tournaments? I'd have thought not, unless they have changed the rules
It would damage this forums' reputation
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:43pm
Totally agree with most, we've played better than tonight and not won, the shape of the team was not great until knight came on.

The ogbene goal and Robinson goal were lovely to watch, we worked it up the pitch beautifully and tapped it into the net.

Definitely a game with plenty of positives and negatives.

Goals being scored that are not just setpieces which is brilliant. 

6 goals and three clean sheets in our last three games... yes please.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

What I find hilarious is for the Kenny haters it’s job done, we took the 3 points….
But for those who look at the bigger picture we were so open first half it could’ve been any score. This team though, they make mistakes, management included but they work for each other, they work for SK and they’ve started to produce. 
If we can tighten up at the back, who knows what will happen, one thing is for certain though they’ll have a huge backing. 
Exciting times 

Think most people who have expressed reservations about Kenny on threads before have specifically mentioned the poor setup in the first half and first 15 mins of the second - so no you aren't special for seeing what everybody else was already aware of, or some 'big picture'.

I was annoyed that he returned to the formation that we saw did not work at home v Azerbaijan for literally the exact same reasons as tonight. However, he saw the issue and rectified it - we dominated the remainder of the game and won 3-0.

Results are the most important thing in football and we got an impressive one tonight. Because of this I think most are willing to appreciate the fact he recognised his mistake and made the change - rather than berate him for making the mistake in the first place.

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Did remind me of the Andorra game very poor for 60 mins then ripped them apart 

I think both were down to nerves. When the pressure is on us in games where "we should be beating them anyway", the team gets into their own heads & starts to psych themselves out, they get a bit frazzled & sloppy. But once we get that first goal, it's like "OK, we can do this".

There's still a psychological thing there that needs work, we've always been better as underdogs, but it's definitely something that's changing. In the past if we 1 up we'd pretty much sit on it, now we look for more goals.

Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

Idah looked very pissed off walking past Knight without any acknowledgement.

Not true, they high fived.
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:18pm
I have to say I was one of Kenny’s critics and I suppose I still am but I have to say he’s edging closer to getting me onside. I thought it was a good, professional performance tonight and I thought the team played some lovely football at times. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen Irish players demand the ball and that’s something that’s become very evident since he’s taken over. Are the players world beaters? Absolutely not but neither are the likes of Wales - Ramsey and Bale aside obviously - and they’re qualifying for tournaments and getting good results.

I’d give Kenny another go at it. Who else is there to come in?
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

I have to say I was one of Kenny’s critics and I suppose I still am but I have to say he’s edging closer to getting me onside. I thought it was a good, professional performance tonight and I thought the team played some lovely football at times. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen Irish players demand the ball and that’s something that’s become very evident since he’s taken over. Are the players world beaters? Absolutely not but neither are the likes of Wales - Ramsey and Bale aside obviously - and they’re qualifying for tournaments and getting good results.

I’d give Kenny another go at it. Who else is there to come in?

Welcome aboard Bundy Big smile welcome aboard.
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

This was before the last 2 goals!

That is some stat. And people wanted to return to the dark ages 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:43pm
I see their sad rattled little bastard of a manager still making racist comments about us being British.

What is it about us that brings out this animosity in people? LOL

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 14 Nov 2021 at 11:44pm
Landsdowne90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landsdowne90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:59pm
f**k him and his silly coat
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Progress, me bollix.. 

Hope you’re ok pet x 
I'm fine, me auld segosha.  Come back to me after 4 games in the euro 2024 qualifiers 

Hold on there a sec and some of us will help you move those goalposts...
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I see their sad rattled little bastard of a manager still making racist comments about us being British.

Some knob.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 12:25am
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Some knob.

That’s the French for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324>
  Share Topic