You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kenny's nailed on starters?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:47pm
Idah, like a lot of other players, has huge potential. 

He struggled badly against Azer, but was excellent in Faro. He was sick in the lead up to Azer game so maybe we can take that into account. his touch and physicality (for a big lad) was terrible. 

In Faro there was lots of space in the channels and he used his pace really well and relieved a lot of pressure on us. That type of game may suit him until he sorts his touch out.....ie. plenty of space in behind.

Far from a lost cause though. I remember Quinn when he started, he had a first touch like Father Jack at PE!

Games will definitely improve how he uses his body in contact and also improve his touch. Dropping down a level would certainly be a benefit.
It's not me it's you:-)
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Idah, like a lot of other players, has huge potential. 

He struggled badly against Azer, but was excellent in Faro. He was sick in the lead up to Azer game so maybe we can take that into account. his touch and physicality (for a big lad) was terrible. 

In Faro there was lots of space in the channels and he used his pace really well and relieved a lot of pressure on us. That type of game may suit him until he sorts his touch out.....ie. plenty of space in behind.

Far from a lost cause though. I remember Quinn when he started, he had a first touch like Father Jack at PE!

Games will definitely improve how he uses his body in contact and also improve his touch. Dropping down a level would certainly be a benefit.

I 100% agree, he's far from the finished article, what 20yo target man is? The question is - is he the best target man currently available to the coaching staff and I think the answer to that is a resounding yes. James Collins could maybe do a job there, but he lacks Idah's pace, which as you say is an important facet to Idah's game (the ability to run the channels as well as hold the ball up and compete in the air) and pace is rare enough in players with his physicality. He's learning on the job so to speak, but I don't see a better option to play that role in or around the current set up. Parrott may well emerge as a genuine contender for that spot, but I think he has a way to go yet, while Keane, who might possibly have been called up to allow management have a look at him in that role missed out on that chance this time around and I cant see him being handed a debut in either of the remaining competitive internationals.

I also don't think he is as far away from first team football in the PL as some suggest, given he is being used regularly from the bench. 
Idah Dream!
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 2:50pm
Nailed on:
Duffy, Egan, Coleman, Doherty, Cullen, Robinson.

Borderline:
Stevens, Hendrick, McGrath, Browne, Ogbene.

GKs:
If Randolph had been fit & playing at a good level he would probably still be our no.1, & this time last year we were wondering what we would do without him. But now we have 4 good options.
Bazunu has been great since he came in, but if Kelleher gets a few games for Liverpool between now & the Portugal/Lux games then I think it'd be pretty difficult to argue Bazunu should keep the jersey.

RCB:
O'Shea, Omobamidele & N.Collins battling it out for the spot next to Duffy & Egan.
With O'Shea out injured, Andy or Nathan play next month & it's probably down to which of them plays more at club level.
Norwich have 4 PL games between now & the international break, but Burnely have 4 PL games + an EFL Cup game & it looks like Collins is getting the Man City game tomorrow, so that's at least 2 for Collins... We'll have to wait & see if Omobamidele gets a game.

WB:
Coleman & Doherty nailed on I think, but Coleman is very injury prone at this point, & likely won't be available for every game in a window. Stevens starts if Coleman isn't available. Manning & McClean back ups at LWB, Ogbene & Christie other options at RWB.

CM(2):
Cullen nailed on. His partner for now seems like it'll Hendrick, but that could change quickly if he isn't playing & say Molumby gets a run for WBA he could push in.
Back up is a problem, McCarthy & Arter are injury prone & have had to drop down levels to get games, Hourihane isn't the most mobile or comfortable on the ball, all pushing 31/32 now.
I'd like to see Manning tried alongside Cullen in a friendly, he played the bulk of 3 seasons at CM for QPR, he's quick & technically very good.

10s:
McGrath looks very close to being the main guy here, but a fully fit Browne is also a contender along with Ogbene, Knight, Connolly & Horgan. Robinson also would start here if someone else is playing the 9. I think Byrne & Brady will also return & compete for a spot, so we actually look pretty good here.

9s:
Robinson is the main man here, even if it's a false 9. I think Ogbene has pushed Idah down the pecking order, Ogbene does the hold up play, runs the channels gets crosses in, but then also gets himself into goal scoring positions & actually scored (which Idah hasn't done).
I don't think Collins has the mobility or hold up play to be much use outside the minnows where we can park him in/around the opposition box, pushing 31, & with Parrott & Idah coming through I don't think he'll be around much longer.

All in all I think we're looking a good bit stronger than we were at the start of the year. CM is still very light on good options though, if Cullen is out injured we'll notice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic