You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kenny's nailed on starters?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kenny's nailed on starters?
    Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 3:57pm
Previously you'd be doing well to pick half his team and even now it's a very tough call. But it's looking more like he has a group of 16 that will be playing and subbing on

If Kenny had every single player available who would be definitely starting for him? Only 6 for me

1Bazunu
2Egan
3Duffy 
4Cullen
5Hendrick
6Robinson 

After those 6 it's hard to know 100% if Kenny would put Omobamidele in ahead of O'Shea?
Coleman and Doherty might be picked on the right and the other left out? 
Would McLean or Egan be prefered on the left?
McGrath should definitely start for me, but again that's a hard one to call as he might prefer Hourihane (I hope not). 
Idah was a starter but I'm not sure now 

Parrott/Connolly/Ogbene/Browne/Collins -(Horgan I feel has drifted out to the fringes
It would damage this forums' reputation
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 3:59pm
Would like to see Sammon back in the fold
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:01pm
Egan has to be a nailed on starter for Kenny. Himself and Duffy rotate as captains when Coleman is out.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

After those 6 it's hard to know 100% if Kenny would put Omobamidele in ahead of O'Shea?

Was thinking this yesterday. O'Shea hadn't done anything wrong in the games he's played for us, but that injury has come at a perfect time for Omobamidele. He's been great in the games he's come in for.
I take it O'Shea will still be out for the November games but probably should be back for the March friendlies.
Be unfortunate for Omo if he's not playing for Norwich and dropped for Ireland.
The dark side.. And the light
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:05pm
Coleman
McGrath moving forward (imo)
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:07pm
I think, assuming O'Shea remains out and everybody else reports fit and well, then the starting XI for the Portugal game practically picks itself?
Baz
Seamus
Doherty
Omabam
Duffy
Egan
Cullen
Hendrick
Idah
Robinson
Mc Grath

That starting XI looks pretty nailed on to me for the Portugal game at least, but might be subject to change vs weaker opposition, where you might gamble without the solidity of Mc Grath as one of the front 3 in the 3-4-2-1.

The main issue between now and then is game time for Doherty, Omobamidele, Hendrick and Idah.
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:21pm
                     Bazunu
  Omobamidele Duffy Egan
Coleman/Doherty.             Doherty/??
            Hendrick/??  Cullen
                     ???? 
                ???    Robinson

We have a senior spine now of Robinson Cullen Duffy. They are the first 3 on the teamsheet cast iron. All young too by there own standards. Bazunu first choice but all it takes is one mistake and Kelleher could be in. 

For me Doherty is on the left Coleman on the right but it's not cast iron to an extent. Omobamidele and Egan are first choice until O'Shea comes back certainly. Attacking midfield McGrath just about for me from Knight. You can play either and you could play Knight where Hendrick is. Up front Idah and Robinson for me although Idah isn't cast iron. 

Team for Portugal is Bazunu Coleman Omobamidele Duffy Egan Doherty Hendrick Cullen Mcgrath Idah Robinson. That picks itself. Bar Duffy Cullen Robinson I don't think anyones place is infallible mind. I love Bazunu but even him as stated one mistake and Kelleher could be back in. If Portugal scores that penalty Kelleher is potentially in. It's a lot finer margins then people say.

gally View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:00pm
Robinson will start in the middle of the 3 up top. Idah on the bench, McGrath oozes class and will play, I would try Connolly on the left and McGrath on the right, Doherty and Coleman on the wingback positions, Omobamidele will start in usual place, Collins and O Shea look very strong options at the back also, team for me against Portugal.

Bazunu
       Omobamidele  Duffy    Egan
  Coleman    Cullen      Hendrick    Doherty
            McGrath        Connolly
                        Robinson

SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:20pm
My 11 would be 

Bazunu
Omobamidele Duffy Egan
Coleman Cullen Hendrick Doherty
Knight Robinson
Idah

Would like to see Knight play deeper at some point but even I think Hendrick deserves his spot right now. Think he would do well as the all action role McGrath played but ultimately I think Knight is the better player with a higher ceiling so I'd have him start. I'd say Kenny will be loyal to McGrath though.

I'm not convinced by Idah yet lack of football is hurting him but he's probably physically our most natural no9 due to his pace, size and technical ability. Though if he continues to not play I do expect Parrott to take that role sooner or later as be is looking much stronger and quicker.

Egan and Duffy are nailed on but between O'Shea, Omobamidele and Collins we have some excellent young CB prospects. We desperately need some wingback prospects Doc and Coleman are great but they aren't getting any younger.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 5:35pm
Norwich have 4 games between now and the next ireland games, if idah doesn't feature in any of them can we really justify having him start based on an OK 20mins vs Portugal? He's been pretty poor all other games in my opinion and id go as far as saying ogbene is the better option.

I'm singling idah out a bit here as he just doesn't have a club career to speak of yet, whereas hourihane might not play between now and Portugal he's played 100s of club games. 

I'm pretty sure idah has started more senior ireland games than he has league games for Norwich. (Not to include Cup completions as they are not always seen as must win games)

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Norwich have 4 games between now and the next ireland games, if idah doesn't feature in any of them can we really justify having him start based on an OK 20mins vs Portugal? He's been pretty poor all other games in my opinion and id go as far as saying ogbene is the better option.

I'm singling idah out a bit here as he just doesn't have a club career to speak of yet, whereas hourihane might not play between now and Portugal he's played 100s of club games. 

I'm pretty sure idah has started more senior ireland games than he has league games for Norwich. (Not to include Cup completions as they are not always seen as must win games)

There's a reason why Idah at 20 is on the fringes of ft football at a PL club and Ogbene at 24 is still in L1. I dont agree with your view at all. Doherty, Hendrick and Omobamidele are all in the same boat as Idah, all are lacking ft minutes. Imo we need an actual 9 vs Portugal (maybe not vs Luxembourg), our best bet is Idah imo. I could maybe understand an argument for James Collins starting there if he plays a lot and scores a few in the interim, but not Ogbene, purely from a tactical view point. Each to their own, but I'd stick with Idah and I think your "based on an OK 20 mins vs Portugal" is unfair in the extreme.

As for Hourihane, I dont know why he's being brought up here, he shouldnt be near the first team in any game where we dont envisage dominating possession and certainly not one where we are likely to spend the majority of the game without the ball. No chance he starts vs Portugal unless we are decimated with injuries.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by gally gally wrote:

Robinson will start in the middle of the 3 up top. Idah on the bench, McGrath oozes class and will play, I would try Connolly on the left and McGrath on the right, Doherty and Coleman on the wingback positions, Omobamidele will start in usual place, Collins and O Shea look very strong options at the back also, team for me against Portugal.

Bazunu
       Omobamidele  Duffy    Egan
  Coleman    Cullen      Hendrick    Doherty
            McGrath        Connolly
                        Robinson

I'm a big fan of Connolly's but its hard to see him coming in from the cold after not getting game time over the last two. Maybe if he is playing and scoring for Brighton it's a possibility and unlike others I think he did ok in the previous game vs Portugal, where he could easily have been the hero and clinched the points/winning peno if he wasn't blatantly shoved in the back by Cancelo for what was imo a nailed on pen. He combined well with Doherty down the lhs in the first half of that game also.

I do think he'll stick with Idah up top though, he played him half fit vs Azerbaijan cos he wanted a physical presence up there and he clearly doesnt trust the likes of Collins, Keane and Parrott to do that just yet. Against Qatar we expected to dominate possession, so we didnt really need the out ball that Idah provides, we will vs Portugal. If we look to Chelsea who many think are now the blueprint for our 3-4-2-1 then Idah appears to be our preferred Lukaku. 
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

My 11 would be 

Bazunu
Omobamidele Duffy Egan
Knight Robinson
Idah

Would like to see Knight play deeper at some point but even I think Hendrick deserves his spot right now. Think he would do well as the all action role McGrath played but ultimately I think Knight is the better player with a higher ceiling so I'd have him start. I'd say Kenny will be loyal to McGrath though.

I'm not convinced by Idah yet lack of football is hurting him but he's probably physically our most natural no9 due to his pace, size and technical ability. Though if he continues to not play I do expect Parrott to take that role sooner or later as be is looking much stronger and quicker.

Egan and Duffy are nailed on but between O'Shea, Omobamidele and Collins we have some excellent young CB prospects. We desperately need some wingback prospects Doc and Coleman are great but they aren't getting any younger.

I'm a fan of Knight also, I just think Mc Grath has done really well. Knight would be my preferred choice to come in if any of Cullen/Hendrick/Mc Grath are out through injury and first off the bench if we need legs in midfield at any point. I'm still unsure at just 20 if he has the tactical discipline yet to play in a midfield two.

Dont agree that Parrott is either quicker or stronger than Idah. Idah wasnt fully fit vs Azerbaijan.
Idah Dream!
SC92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

My 11 would be 

Bazunu
Omobamidele Duffy Egan
Knight Robinson
Idah

I'm a fan of Knight also, I just think Mc Grath has done really well. Knight would be my preferred choice to come in if any of Cullen/Hendrick/Mc Grath are out through injury and first off the bench if we need legs in midfield at any point. I'm still unsure at just 20 if he has the tactical discipline yet to play in a midfield two.

Dont agree that Parrott is either quicker or stronger than Idah. Idah wasnt fully fit vs Azerbaijan.

Knight was really unlucky with that injury I reckon he would of played a lot of minutes. He is a cracking little player so much energy and gets in the right places to be a goal threat. I'd agree he's not quite a fit for a midfield two yet, in a few years maybe 

I meant Parrott looks quicker and stronger than he used to. I wasn't comparing him to Idah in that sense.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 7:24pm

My 11 would be 

Bazunu
Omobamidele Duffy Egan
Knight Robinson
Idah

Knight was really unlucky with that injury I reckon he would of played a lot of minutes. He is a cracking little player so much energy and gets in the right places to be a goal threat. I'd agree he's not quite a fit for a midfield two yet, in a few years maybe 

I meant Parrott looks quicker and stronger than he used to. I wasn't comparing him to Idah in that sense.

Ah ok, I agree with that, Troy definitely seems to have come on a bit since last season, which is great to see, he is progressing nicely but is still a bit behind Adam in terms of his development imo. I wouldnt rule out Troy ultimately surpassing Idah, but that's not a given by any means, it's very hard to judge what level they will both end up at, but I'd be surprised if they don't at least manage decent Championship careers, hopefully better.
Idah Dream!
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 7:33pm

I think, assuming O'Shea remains out and everybody else reports fit and well, then the starting XI for the Portugal game practically picks itself?
Baz
Seamus
Doherty
Omabam
Duffy
Egan
Cullen
Hendrick
Idah
Robinson
Mc Grath

That starting XI looks pretty nailed on to me for the Portugal game at least, but might be subject to change vs weaker opposition, where you might gamble without the solidity of Mc Grath as one of the front 3 in the 3-4-2-1.

The main issue between now and then is game time for Doherty, Omobamidele, Hendrick and Idah.

Agreed, if they are all fit and available then that is the team for Portugal IMO. I would say Idah, Hendrick and McGraths roles are most up for grabs but with no more friendlies until 2022 I think they are in possession of the jersey if available.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 8:04pm
Nailed on starters:

Bazunu
Duffy
Egan
Cullen
Hendrick
Robinson
Idah

I think the other spots are up for grabs. I dont particularly think Idah should be a Nailed on starter but Kenny likes him and is his 1st choice in almost every game. After these 7 which is the spine of the team going forward I see it like this for the other positions:

Coleman/Doherty
O'Shea/Andrew Omo
Stevens/McClean
McGrath/Knight

For me our best eleven in a 3-4-2-1 formation is:

Bazunu

O'Shea
Duffy
Egan

Doherty
Cullen
Hendrick
Stevens

Robinson
Knight

Idah

If Robinson can push on to be our main man, offering a real goal threat we can become a different proposition. I would love Idah to push on but he needs a loan move in January. His development will only be stunted sitting on the Norwich bench. Every footballer will tell you there is no substitute for games.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 8:15pm

Baz
Seamus
Doherty
Omabam
Duffy
Egan
Cullen
Hendrick
Idah
Robinson
Mc Grath

That's who I'd like to see start. Injuries aside I bet there will be 2-3 changes from it though 
It would damage this forums' reputation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic