You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Qatar, Tuesday 12 October 7:45pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 1:00am
very enjoyable game. Good performances all over the park. 

Duffy has improved even so much since when he first started doing well for us, he has added much better ball control and passing to his game.

Thought McGrath was great and Hourihane solid while Jeff was showing what he hope he could do more consistently for us. Very important role he brings.

But most happy about Robinson. We have really lacked a goal scorer. I’ve been a fan of his now for a few years and always felt he had that bit of quality even when a lot of people were not rating him so. To now really have someone you can point to and say that he will get you goals given the chances, we’ve missed that since Robbie left.

Big love for Kenny tonight throughout the stadium too. 

It does feel like there is a buzz back about the team
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 1:09am
Great stuff tonight from the lads and manager albeit against mediocre opponents. Looks like momentum and confidence has swung in Kennys favour.  I think Bazunu has to take a huge deal of credit for that. His confidence since he has come in has spread through the squad similar to the way Cantona's confidence rubbed off on other players.

Kelleher did well but Bazunu has a real confidence about him that transmits itself to those around him.

Will know more after the next international window.  We've had false dawns before such as when Stans Eire hammered Sweden and Denmark so not going to get carried away.  The real teat will be Luxembourg and Portugal.

A convincing win and a competitive performance against Portugal where we compete and give them a good game is all I want whther the result goes for us or againat us.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:04am
Very good last night without doubt as i can't recall the last time i saw them playing that well .
Very one on a high .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Great stuff tonight from the lads and manager albeit against mediocre opponents. Looks like momentum and confidence has swung in Kennys favour.  I think Bazunu has to take a huge deal of credit for that. His confidence since he has come in has spread through the squad similar to the way Cantona's confidence rubbed off on other players.

Kelleher did well but Bazunu has a real confidence about him that transmits itself to those around him.

Will know more after the next international window.  We've had false dawns before such as when Stans Eire hammered Sweden and Denmark so not going to get carried away.  The real teat will be Luxembourg and Portugal.

A convincing win and a competitive performance against Portugal where we compete and give them a good game is all I want whther the result goes for us or againat us.

That’s exactly what we got away to Serbia and Portugal and Kenny didn’t get any credit for it as we lost both game.  I thought we were excellent in Belgrade and Faro and if it wasn’t for Travers and the genius goal scoring of Ronaldo that could have been anything from 1 to 4 points achieved there but it was zero.  

We have been building something for a while now, but the scoreboard journalists and fans can’t see that and only are convinced when results go out way and they even mention performances etc.  We played way better than Sat night in previous games and lost. 

Many on here and beyond have said results are all that matter but yet mention performances time and time again.  If you are results only fan (not saying you are, Murph is one though) then performances are irrelevant surely.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

That’s exactly what we got away to Serbia and Portugal and Kenny didn’t get any credit for it as we lost both game.  I thought we were excellent in Belgrade and Faro and if it wasn’t for Travers and the genius goal scoring of Ronaldo that could have been anything from 1 to 4 points achieved there but it was zero.  

We have been building something for a while now, but the scoreboard journalists and fans can’t see that and only are convinced when results go out way and they even mention performances etc.  We played way better than Sat night in previous games and lost. 

Many on here and beyond have said results are all that matter but yet mention performances time and time again.  If you are results only fan (not saying you are, Murph is one though) then performances are irrelevant surely.  
I was expecting a text from yer last night Baldie Heart
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:36am
Last time we won back to back games in a window - March 2019, a pair of 1-0s against Georgia and Gibraltar. 

Last time we scored >5 goals in a window: 6 in Sept 2017 - 4 vs Oman and 2 in an away draw with Serbia

Last time we scored >7 goals in a window: 8 in Oct 2014 - 7  vs Gibraltar and 1 in an away draw with Germany

There was also a 7 goal window in June 2013 where we won both games, 4-0 over Georgia in a friendly and 3-0 against the Faroes.. In this particular window Robbie Keane scored 5 in 2 games, 2 against Georgia (one assisted by Jeff!!) and a hat-trick in the other. 

finally, just to add in - the time before that where we had 7 goals in a window was March 2001, 3-0 against Andorra and 4-0 against Cyprus - both away. 

Edited by shakeyshamrock - 13 Oct 2021 at 9:41am
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 11:18am

Results are all that matters in the cold light of day but good performances generally lead to good results. But at the end of the day results are all that matters. Some of Kenny's team performances have been overhyped.  Serbia away was nothing special.  We conceded 3 goals.  That tells me our defence performed poorly.  Playing some nice passages of play in between conceding three times is not a good performance.

Portugal away we performed well to an extent.  We still conceded twice and conceded a penalty again from what I would say are defensive errors.  Again the defence did not perform to the level that it should. So I think it was overhyped also.  We could have got beaten by a few that night.

A lot of performances have been tippy tappy around the back not going anywhere and were generally ineffective performances. Pretty in spells but nothing but defeats and draws.

That being said delighted with last night's performance and result.  Keep doing that and we are all very happy.

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 11:26am
Not sure about anyone else but I'm excited and the only thing tempering my excitement is reminding myself that we need to beat Luxembourg to compound this.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Not sure about anyone else but I'm excited and the only thing tempering my excitement is reminding myself that we need to beat Luxembourg to compound this.

Yes as long as he doesn't f**k up against Luxembourg he is safe.  A win will convince everyone that the poor start is now behind him. 

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 11:43am

Results are all that matters in the cold light of day but good performances generally lead to good results. But at the end of the day results are all that matters. Some of Kenny's team performances have been overhyped.  Serbia away was nothing special.  We conceded 3 goals.  That tells me our defence performed poorly.  Playing some nice passages of play in between conceding three times is not a good performance.

Portugal away we performed well to an extent.  We still conceded twice and conceded a penalty again from what I would say are defensive errors.  Again the defence did not perform to the level that it should. So I think it was overhyped also.  We could have got beaten by a few that night.

A lot of performances have been tippy tappy around the back not going anywhere and were generally ineffective performances. Pretty in spells but nothing but defeats and draws.

That being said delighted with last night's performance and result.  Keep doing that and we are all very happy.

One thing is for sure we are both on the same page TJ Thumbs Up
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

One thing is for sure we are both on the same page TJ Thumbs Up

The miserable gits page?LOL

TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 11:52am

If you can only see the world as an either or proposition then I guess you are correct. I think what is being said is that ultimately, it is the results that count, points on the board that counts, no points for performance unfortunately. Up until the last two games, the poor results were not even being compensated by good performances. Didi mentioned last night that if SK "wasn't one of our own" he would probably have been out the door by now, based on the results we've had.
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:41pm
Great to see a lot of hard work from the management team and players making a difference. In all my years watching Ireland I had to rub my eyes to make sure it was Ireland I was watching last night. So impressive in all facets of the game.  Some people on here might say Qatar are rubbish but we really struggled against them last time and they won the Asian cup in the last few years. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:47pm
ya but we didn't let Qatar play. rewind a few years and say we played Qatar. we would have probably given the ball away countless times and they would have had loads of possession and looked like world beaters against us. Yes ok they looked poor but we made them look poor also.

Edited by doherty - 13 Oct 2021 at 12:47pm
I love beer gardens
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:57pm
the jersey last night grew on me the more i seen it but it would look better if the Umbro logo was in white as you cant really see it in blue.
I love beer gardens
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 2:56pm
The stat hereunder is worth noting in terms of the development of the team under Kenny and its not as if they were all sideway passes either.

Kenny's Kids Retweeted
From last night: 663 passes are the most by the Irish senior men's side in a single game in the last decade. It's the only time they reached 600 successful passes and the first time in that span they broke 92% accuracy with their passes.
Idah Dream!
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 2:56pm
I think last night was also the first game that we have won where Duffy has scored a goal.
He has been our main goal scorer in the last few years but we've never won when he's scored.
He must have close to double figures now.
Edit .. He's only on 6 goals

Edited by darmack - 13 Oct 2021 at 3:00pm
The dark side.. And the light
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

I think last night was also the first gam that we have won where Duffy has scored a goal.
He has been our main goal scorer in the last few years but we've never won when he's scored.
He must have close to double figures now.

6. Similar record to Dunne.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
  Share Topic