You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Qatar, Tuesday 12 October 7:45pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 10:19pm
We really need something against Portugal to finish 3rd.

Lux play Azerbaijan in the next game and will open up a 4 point lead if we get beat. 
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 10:19pm
Those 2 wins will they do much for our ranking? Some of the statisticians might crunch the numbers?
I love beer gardens
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

I have been a vocal critic of Kenny but the last two games have been very good. We look better organised, our pressing has improved no end, we might have a guy up front who can put the ball in the net on a regular basis. Some real positives including Jamie McGrath who I think deserves real credit. He has come in and done very well.

Dare I say it, we're playing a lot better football than MON and Mick's teams (certainly better than the post 2016 MON anyway). No wonder the fans are excited....this is a nice team to watch.

I think Hamman hit the nail on the head when he said we were in the past trying to play football without aggression. You could see tonight and on Saturday that we were pressing high and forcing the opposition into mistakes. When we got the ball we were productive with it. Robinson revels in the free role although I would be concerned teams may try to nullify him and this nullify us. But that is for another day. Before this window I wanted 3 points and a win over Qatar so Job well done. I still feel a win in Luxembourg is a must for Kenny to continue on. We have momentum now so let's hopefully see it continue.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 10:49pm
Its not a must. A draw wouldn't be a disaster. If we play like we have in the last 2 games we will make chances against most teams. Hopefully we can continue to take them. We cant go back now. Onwards and upwards.
I love beer gardens
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 10:53pm
No, I think we do still need to win in Luxembourg given what happened in the Dublin game. If we win that a fair amount of the damage done in this campaign will have been undone by the end of it. If we don't beat Lux we'll finish with only one win and there will still be major question marks. But based on current form we should be beating them, despite what some on here would have you believe Portugal showed tonight that, like Qatar and Azerbaijan, they are largely useless and we made them look unreasonably good earlier in the year.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 11:03pm
I said this months ago and i think it’s been borne out in the last 3 windows. This team needed to play in front of and feed a crowd. I don’t think we’d have lost at home to Luxembourg if there were 25k there. If my Aunty had giant hairy ones etc….

Bar all the obvious positives, I noticed two things
1) Nathan Collins is a f**king unit!!!
2) Cyrus Christie has physically turned into Luke Shaw from 2 years ago. He’s a barrel. Don’t remember him being that big before 

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 11:15pm
Cyrus does look like he let himself go a bit during Covid, like us all. 

Still well able to get around the pitch. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 11:41pm
For me there was almost a bit of a swagger to us tonight. Passing backheels Hendrick trying them at one stage. 

Kelleher - Is well ahead of Bazunu in distribution. Also came for a corner comfortably Bazunu is still learning to command his box a bit. Distribution is elite. A couple of times he split 2 or 3 Qatar players with passes. just opens the pitch up.  Bazunu first choice but what a goalkeeping situation.

Defenders not a foot wrong Egan Omobamidele so solid and Collins played a gorgeous pass to set Hendrick away switch of play at one stage. A man mountain dwarfed Egan even. Christie I enjoyed limited player fine as 3rd choice not to knock him he showed plenty confidence. Stevens played better too tonight been poor under Kenny he needed to perform.

Duffy's distribution is genuinely decent for a standard CB now. This was the fella kicking the ball out of play like a fly half against Bulgaria. He's worked on it and it's why he's in the Brighton team regularly on top of his defensive abilities.

Hendrick had a great night. Lost the ball a few times cheaply but showed confidence on it good pass for the 3rd goal and is a starter with Cullen. Hourihane a lovely night suits him when he has time on it. McGrath likewise is one of the most intelligent Irish players I have seen play in recent years. Movement ball playing ability and can bridge that gap between the forwards and midfielders that stops them from being isolated. 

Robinson say no more still only 26 a solid goalscorer at Championship level has PL standard ability and you hope we have him for 6/7 years yet as Parrott Idah Connolly all the younger prospects develop further. Ogbene good too a real impact player off the bench for me. Could be of use against Portugal on the break. 

Overall a great night confidence boosting win. Portugal is a huge test as they will come here up for it. They need to win. We have momentum the crowd behind us and a bit of expectation now. Big test for us but we can hold our own I think. Theres something coming together but important we get that win against Luxembourg and give Portugal a bit of stick at least. 

Edited by kevin100 - 12 Oct 2021 at 11:43pm
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

No, I think we do still need to win in Luxembourg given what happened in the Dublin game. If we win that a fair amount of the damage done in this campaign will have been undone by the end of it. If we don't beat Lux we'll finish with only one win and there will still be major question marks. But based on current form we should be beating them, despite what some on here would have you believe Portugal showed tonight that, like Qatar and Azerbaijan, they are largely useless and we made them look unreasonably good earlier in the year.
You’ve a strange, very black and white way of looking at football. 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:01am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Two wins, seven goals, none conceded and a feel good factor around the place. Lad wants Kenny sacked if we don’t beat Luxembourg.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:02am
Very pleased with that.

Won't get too carried away because of how poor Qatar were, but at the same time we've played much worse teams & struggled. Here we dominated start to finish.
Perhaps they were tired after playing Portugal? Back in March they were a lot better, though at the same time we were a lot weaker.

The team over the last few windows, since the June camp/friendlies, seems to be really taking root. Really seems like something is building here. It's unfortunate that these Qualifies came probably 12 months too early for them (particularly the oldest players who are probably on their last campaign).

The obvious emergence's from the June camp, McGrath & Ogbene look like really solid additions to the squad. Neither will be with their current clubs for much longer.

Great to see Nathan Collins & Kelleher get on, even with not much to do.

Hendrick is on a big upswing, hopefully he can take that into his club career, maybe get a move...

Hourihane was actually good tonight, but he was afforded an awful lot of time on the ball, he won't get that against better teams.

Back to Ogbene, his emergence could take a lot of pressure off of Idah (& Connolly & Parrott). Did a lot of work off the ball, was up and down the right wing, but also popped up in the no9 spot (the latter is what Idah has been lacking). At 24, Ogbene has a lot more games under his belt then those younger lads & is better prepared to take on that responsibility that we were kind of heaping on Idah, Connolly & Parrott.

In general, finding players in their mid-20's (Cullen, Ogbene, McGrath to add to Robinson, Browne, Manning) is a really, really good & important thing to take the pressure off the younger players who aren't quite ready yet.

Christie is another one who is a lot more suited to wing-back rather than full-back (like Doherty & Stevens). 3 at the back with Wing-Backs is definitely a formation that suits us.

Duffy pushing up into attacking midfield giving the ball to Hendrick, not turning back but instead pushing up into the CF position to allow Robinson to peel off for the run to score his 3rd was excellent.

Robinson... man that free roaming role really suits him. Is he a 9 is he a 10? Who cares, he's scoring goals! Frankly if he can keep up half this form he'll pass out Niall Quinn's goals record.

Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:03am

they are pretty useless compared to the might of Portugal yes.

Lets not forget Portugal could probably have had 5 goals against us.

I'm not being lectured on the relative abilities of European football teams by blokes who have glanced at the scores in the newspaper and just watch Premier League footy
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:07am
2 good wins albeit against terrible opponents. The result and performance against Portugal next month is the barometer to guage things, not the last two games. Assess things at the end of the campaign and see where we are then. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

2 good wins albeit against terrible opponents. The result and performance against Portugal next month is the barometer to guage things, not the last two games. Assess things at the end of the campaign and see where we are then. 

Surely it's the games vs the teams below us and of a relatively similar level that are the barometer? We've already put in a series of decent performances vs better teams anyway. The issue has been results and performances vs teams we should be beating or have a decent chance of beating.

An Irish manager is not going to be judged a success or failure based on results vs one of the best teams in the world on paper.

I agree about waiting until the end of the campaign to assess things. His job is most likely safe now anyway as long as he doesn't lose to Luxembourg. Even a loss to Luxembourg he has a good chance of surviving.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:17am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Portugal need to win make no mistake they hand the initiative over to Serbia if they don't. They will come out all guns blazing like they did tonight. It will be a big test for us but a home crowd will help us hugely. 

I'm looking forward to it now and hope we can hold our own. It will be important to survive an early onslaught in that game. 

Luxembourg have tailed off in recent games they were in a bit of form earlier this year they haven't been in good form the last two windows. I'd be hoping we will beat them mind Serbia still found life difficult against them. Not getting carried away but nice to see us dominate two teams we should be and getting 3 and 4 goals respectively. When's the last time we got close to 7 goals in 2 games?

Edited by kevin100 - 13 Oct 2021 at 12:19am
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:43am
Momentum was badly needed and we got one hell of a thrill there. It's a joy to finally watch an Ireland team string some passes together with a good end product. 

Portugal should be beating us but it will be a great test and reveal where we are under Kenny after it.

It would damage this forums' reputation
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:47am

What else can you judge on other than performances and results? If the Luxembourg and Portugal games no longer matter then your argument is basically that we've been utter sh*te for a year but we've had one good week beating two sh*t teams, so he should definitely get a new contract. What we need to see is consistency now, that we have indeed turned a corner and this wasn't a flash in the pan. I think and hope that is the case, but we won't know for sure until we see how next month pans out. 

So yes, obviously the Luxembourg game matters and we need to go and win it.

In fairness, even that is setting the bar low - winning three games out of six against Azerbaijan, Luxembourg and Qatar. Previous managers have been more successful and still been let go.

Edited by You Tell Me - 13 Oct 2021 at 12:49am
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:53am

What else can you judge on other than performances and results? If the Luxembourg and Portugal games no longer matter then your argument is basically that we've been utter sh*te for a year but we've had one good week beating two sh*t teams, so he should definitely get a new contract. What we need to see is consistency now, that we have indeed turned a corner and this wasn't a flash in the pan. I think and hope that is the case, but we won't know for sure until we see how next month pans out. 

So yes, obviously the Luxembourg game matters and we need to go and win it.

In fairness, even that is setting the bar low - winning three games out of six against Azerbaijan, Luxembourg and Qatar. Previous managers have been more successful and still been let go.
But you’re not judging on performances, literally judging on results. Win= good, loss = bad, early losses must be replaced by later wins.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516>
  Share Topic