You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Qatar, Tuesday 12 October 7:45pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Kelleher
     Collins  Omobamidele   Scales
Doherty                                   Stevens
              Cullen         Knight 
                        Parrott 
          Robinson         Connolly 

I see a lot of people recently taking about Qatar like they're minnows, comparing them to Andorra & Oman (*cough* Brian Kerr *cough*), Qatar are a better side than us. This isn't a friendly for them, they aren't just here to give their lads a run out, they're taking this seriously for the WC.

We want to try to win this game & build momentum off the win tonight, that back line you listed will get torn apart, far too inexperienced.

I also don't see Knight as a CM right now, he's far better as an AM, preferably on the right as his crossing is very good.

Ah come off it, no they're not. Yeah, Al Saad striker Akram Afif and Al-Duhail striker Almoez Ali are well used to tearing apart back lines. 
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 9:55pm
We like taking big scalps. Add Qatar to that soon......
I love beer gardens
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 9:58pm
Kelleher, collins, Knight, parrott and connolly all players I like to see start Tuesday night
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

I hope he puts out what he thinks is his best team and goes full on for a win. Kenny's job is still in the balance.  

It is but I don't know that a win, draw or loss in this game will do anything to tip the balance either way, short of dishing out or receiving a hammering. The last two group games are the key ones. One win and two good performances needed in those.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

I hope he puts out what he thinks is his best team and goes full on for a win. Kenny's job is still in the balance.  

It is but I don't know that a win, draw or loss in this game will do anything to tip the balance either way, short of dishing out or receiving a hammering. The last two group games are the key ones. One win and two good performances needed in those.

Momentum. Winning is a habit, as they say. Having 2 wins going into November is much better than 1, much better for Kenny's case to stay on.

A win always looks better than loss on the record, even if it's a friendly.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by Greenie50 Greenie50 wrote:

Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Kelleher
     Collins  Omobamidele   Scales
Doherty                                   Stevens
              Cullen         Knight 
                        Parrott 
          Robinson         Connolly 

I see a lot of people recently taking about Qatar like they're minnows, comparing them to Andorra & Oman (*cough* Brian Kerr *cough*), Qatar are a better side than us. This isn't a friendly for them, they aren't just here to give their lads a run out, they're taking this seriously for the WC.

We want to try to win this game & build momentum off the win tonight, that back line you listed will get torn apart, far too inexperienced.

I also don't see Knight as a CM right now, he's far better as an AM, preferably on the right as his crossing is very good.

No they aren't stop talking sh*te.

Oh yes they are. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 11:27pm
Hopeful that tonight’s performance really makes some of those on the edge of the Xi step up for this one.

Robinson scoring a couple tonight will add a nice bit of pressure to the other forward line to contribute and Ogbene too. 

Idah desperately needs a goal but I hope to see Troy start and Connolly. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 11:52pm
Need to use this came wisely to build on tonights result.

If we're to persist with the 3-4-2-1 formation we need to find alternatives that suit the system.

3 CB's, 2 CM's and 2 WB's pretty much pick themselves but we could do with looking at the LWB alternatives between Stevens, Scales and Manning (I know hes out for this game) and also that 4th back up spot for CB in the event of injury i.e Collins.

Otherwise that part of the time is fine.

Forward options is where the real issue lies. We need to the find the right combinations and balance of player for the 2 in behind the centre forward as well as the CF.

We looked OK with Idah as the target man / holder upper of the ball to bring Horgan and Robinson into play earlier but they were a poor combo together. Worked far better in the second half with McGrath.

Id like to see Parrott or Keane tried instead beside McGrath with Robinson as the leading CF.

Id also like to see Connolly given a chance at CF and not out wide.

Bazunu
         Collins  Duffy Egan
Doherty  Cullen Hendrick  Stevens
           McGrath  Parrott/Keane
                  Robinson

Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 11:59pm
I don't see the point in starting Kelleher in this, Bazunu is our #1 and he should play as many games as possible at his age.

Qatar will be taking this very seriously, as should we. We can't afford to not play our strongest team, momentum is too important to waste.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Pinginí Pinginí wrote:

I don't see the point in starting Kelleher in this, Bazunu is our #1 and he should play as many games as possible at his age.

Qatar will be taking this very seriously, as should we. We can't afford to not play our strongest team, momentum is too important to waste.

Kenny made that mistake not playing one of them and playing Randolph in every game in the build up to the Serbia game. It cost us a result with Travers going in cold and getting stage fright.

Kelleher should absolutely be starting the Qatar game. He most certainly isn't a downgrade on Bazunu.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 12:33am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Kenny made that mistake not playing one of them and playing Randolph in every game in the build up to the Serbia game. It cost us a result with Travers going in cold and getting stage fright.

Kelleher should absolutely be starting the Qatar game. He most certainly isn't a downgrade on Bazunu.

I would've thought he has a big enough one as tall as he is.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 12:42am

Last month Kenny pretty much said Kelleher would start vs Qatar.

BTW Kelleher is not at all a downgrade from Bazunu and absolutely deserves a chance to prove himself.

Edited by Greenie50 - 10 Oct 2021 at 12:43am
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 12:44am
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

If we're to persist with the 3-4-2-1 formation we need to find alternatives that suit the system.

3 CB's, 2 CM's and 2 WB's pretty much pick themselves but we could do with looking at the LWB alternatives between Stevens, Scales and Manning (I know hes out for this game) and also that 4th back up spot for CB in the event of injury i.e Collins.

Forward options is where the real issue lies. We need to the find the right combinations and balance of player for the 2 in behind the centre forward as well as the CF.

We looked OK with Idah as the target man / holder upper of the ball to bring Horgan and Robinson into play earlier but they were a poor combo together. Worked far better in the second half with McGrath.

Id like to see Parrott or Keane tried instead beside McGrath with Robinson as the leading CF.

Bazunu
         Collins  Duffy Egan
           McGrath  Parrott/Keane
                  Robinson

Why do you care? You've already said you won't be attending or watching.. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 12:46am
It's good timing to start Kelleher in this game as he's on course to play against Watford and Atletico Madrid.

Bazunu's had a massive run of games now, we can take a look at someone else.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 1:10am
Its time to kick on now and draw this 1-1
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 1:14am
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

Bazunu
         Collins  Duffy Egan
           McGrath  Parrott/Keane
                  Robinson

Why do you care? You've already said you won't be attending or watching.. 

What has my personal disdain for the corrupt scumbag Qatari regime got to do with anything?

I obviously support my team and want them to do well and to go and build on tonights performance in preparation for future games. Whether I attend or watch it bares no relevance on that.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 8:23am
Definitely start Kelleher for Qatar. For a number of reasons - because he needs games, because he's a real prospect and we can do better than just cast him aside a number 2 keeper and never play him. But mainly because he almost certainly is number 2 which means it only takes a Bazunu knock or a sending off and he'll be thrown straight in there, so any chance to give him game time along side a decent number of our first team players should be taken.

I thought he was excellent against Hungary and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 9:19am

Bazunu
         Collins  Duffy Egan
           McGrath  Parrott/Keane
                  Robinson

Agree with a lot of that, I think LWB, one of the central midfield spots and one or two of the forward positions are the jerseys up for grabs. Stevens is probably our best LWB but it feels he hasn't had a good game for us in a while, I absolutely do not want to see McClean start v Qatar despite having a decent game last night - Stevens or Scales for me.

Not much else we can try in central midfield with Knight, Browne and Molumby all out but you'd imagine all of them will be competing with Hendrick for that position. Maybe Knight will be back for Tuesday, in that case I would start him. Front 3 we have lots of options but aside FROM Robinson nobody was really grabbed it. Idah and McGrath have done well but the likes of Parrott or Connolly could be improvements if they were given more of a chance. 

Kelleher should absolutely start this game, yes Bazunu is deservedly our number one for the moment but both keepers have huge potential, it would be wrong and unfair to Kelleher to label him as backup already, they will both be competing for the starting spot for the next 10+ years. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
  Share Topic