You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nations League 2022 Group B1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 54>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

I think we will end up with 4 points from the next two games and that leaves us in 3rd most likely.
And shows how crucial the loss in Armenia was.

Will put us under pressure to get a playoff spot from the nation’s league.

Which is very disappointing and can only be seen as a poor nations league campaign if this comes to pass.

While the Armenia result was hugely disappointing and detrimental to our hopes of getting anything tangible from the group, the other performances have been pretty good. Our squad looks in much better shape than it did before the campaign started with nearly all of our players now plying their trade regularly at Championship level or higher. 

If we can round off the campaign with 2 good performances and actually beat Armenia convincingly at home, then while the outcome of the campaign may indeed be classified as poor, the actual progression of the team and the improvement in the depth of the squad can at least be viewed as real positives heading in to the next campaign. I hope we can look forward with a degree of hope and optimism that has been lacking for quite some time, both from a player and fan perspective, come next Wednesday.

Armenia was a perfect example of a terrible result despite a decent performance. The first Ukraine game was the only performance of the 4 I've been really disappointed with, we offered nothing after the first 15 minutes in that game.
All of what John Nice says is true but it also comes with the same * as it did when we improved in the last qualifying campaign.
The pressure was off we were goosed in terms of getting something out of the group.

With regards aremina you should always be capable of putting some sort of performance against weaker nations.
When you don’t score against this level of opposition it’s a bad day out.

Two big games coming for the team.
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 1:08pm

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I think we will end up with 4 points from the next two games and that leaves us in 3rd most likely.

Which is very disappointing and can only be seen as a poor nations league campaign if this comes to pass.

While the Armenia result was hugely disappointing and detrimental to our hopes of getting anything tangible from the group, the other performances have been pretty good. Our squad looks in much better shape than it did before the campaign started with nearly all of our players now plying their trade regularly at Championship level or higher. 

If we can round off the campaign with 2 good performances and actually beat Armenia convincingly at home, then while the outcome of the campaign may indeed be classified as poor, the actual progression of the team and the improvement in the depth of the squad can at least be viewed as real positives heading in to the next campaign. I hope we can look forward with a degree of hope and optimism that has been lacking for quite some time, both from a player and fan perspective, come next Wednesday.

Armenia was a perfect example of a terrible result despite a decent performance. The first Ukraine game was the only performance of the 4 I've been really disappointed with, we offered nothing after the first 15 minutes in that game.
All of what John Nice says is true but it also comes with the same * as it did when we improved in the last qualifying campaign.
The pressure was off we were goosed in terms of getting something out of the group.

With regards aremina you should always be capable of putting some sort of performance against weaker nations.
When you don’t score against this level of opposition it’s a bad day out.

Two big games coming for the team.

I agree fully re the asterisk, we still have it all to prove in the next campaign, but I'm a lot more positive about our chances for Euro 2024 now than I was at the start of this campaign.

Also, just one point re this "weaker" teams concept, because we hear this all the time, as if teams ranked below us traditionally cannot improve considerably. The whole point of the Nations League is to pair teams of roughly similar ability, based on results over the previous couple of campaigns, in groups of 4 in order to provide a competitive schedule. That being the case I find it a little annoying at times (not necessarily directed at yourself) to see teams like Armenia being talked about as if they are an Andorra or San Marino. They made it up to Division B on merit, so they arent desperate and will probably be just one seeding below us for the Euro Qualifiers. That's not to say the Irish team we all want to see shouldnt be beating them, but I think there is a somewhat skewed perspective around "weaker" teams on here at times. By definition a team in Group B is going to be competitive with ourselves, given that I think most agree we are nowhere near being a Division A team just yet.
Idah Dream!
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 1:15pm

This is our best ever showing in the Nations League with 2 games still left to play…
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

This is our best ever showing in the Nations League with 2 games still left to play…

It can still disappointing even if it’s our best in terms of result’s.

And if you want to be technical we got a playoff spot out of one of our previous nations league campaigns and don’t look like getting one now
( of course this could change if we win or next two games)

Ultimately a country like us needs to get something out of the nations league especially if we are now in  pot 3 for the qualifiers
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by shakeyshamrock shakeyshamrock wrote:

Tbf, while that is true, I think it is equally disingenuous to portray this as an achievement Smile, just as I think it is wrong to write this campaign off as very disappointing if we end up in 3rd spot.

To date I think this campaign has been decent, we have been competitive vs teams of similar rank/ability and we appear to have improved as the campaign has progressed, which was to be expected given the average age of the squad. The Scotland game was probably the high point of the last 5 years, if not decade. The two upcoming games will demonstrate whether or not that improvement is real and substantial. As ever, I'll be looking not just at the results, but the performances. There is no doubt in mind that the squad is, on paper at least, in much better shape than it was a year ago, now we have to go out as a team and prove that.
Idah Dream!
williemc83 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williemc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 2:10pm
Whenever Scotland have a stride in their step and something to play for; they f*** it up monumentally.

I don't think they'll repeat that performance and I expect we'll win. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 2:57pm
Seems to be confirmed now that results against fourth placed teams will be discounted when ranking the third placed finishers across the four B groups (because of Russia being kicked out).

Probably the first bit of good news we've had all week in that, if we come third in the group, at least the loss in Armenia will be discounted when ranking the third placed teams. Obviously any win against them at home would be discounted also though. So the Scotland game becomes even more important in that context, it's the only game we have left where we can add to our four points group total when ranking the third placed teams.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:34pm
Scotland's win last night has sunk our chances of second imo as I don't see us taking 6 points of them.

Assuming we finish in 3rd spot are we going to be the 3rd seeds in the qualifying draw or could we be second seeds? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Scotland's win last night has sunk our chances of second imo as I don't see us taking 6 points of them.

Assuming we finish in 3rd spot are we going to be the 3rd seeds in the qualifying draw or could we be second seeds? 

2 wins and we can top the group!
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

2 wins and we can top the group!

Thats the spirit! Smile
Idah Dream!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:51pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 4:56pm

Need to top the group or be the best runner up to be in pot two.
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Need to top the group or be the best runner up to be in pot two.
top seeded 2nd place team go into pot 2 as Germany not in the draw.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 9:33pm
We aren't going to top the group, but what are our odds of getting a playoff if we finish 3rd?
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 9:40pm
If we win saturday I think we'll top the group. Ukraine could easily draw against Armenia.
Here we go again
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

If we win saturday I think we'll top the group. Ukraine could easily draw against Armenia.

I admire your optimism LOL

I'd take 2nd spot now. 

Edited by irishmufc - 22 Sep 2022 at 9:44pm
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2022 at 9:44pm

Their game is before ours so we’ll know ahead of the game 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2022 at 11:02am

Highly unlikely. While I think there's a decent chance that Ukraine drop points to Armenia and a fair chance that we can beat both Scotland and Armenia, we would still be reliant on Ukraine vs Scotland ending in a draw in a game where both teams know victory will seal top spot.

We can win both our games, get to 10 points and still end up 3rd, if Ukraine beat Armenia and the Scots then beat Ukraine, so It would certainly be good to see Ukraine drop points in Yerevan.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 54>
  Share Topic