Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nations League 2022 Group B1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 54>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nations League 2022 Group B1
    Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 1:16pm
UEFA has indicated that the 2022/23 UEFA Nations League Draw will take place in Montreux, Switzerland on Thursday 16th December

Plenty of Ryanair vouchers for Christmas please. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:05pm
This is a very important competition for us as it is the only route to the Euro 2024 playoffs. Given that we haven't qualified for a finals without going through a set of playoffs since 1993 (before the modern day version of playoffs were returned to the qualification structure) this is likely to be a more realistic route to qualification than the actual qualifying groups themselves.

Unlike with the Nations League groups that were linked to the Euro 2020 playoffs, there now being 16 teams in League A and 16 teams in League B means that we are no longer guaranteed a route to the playoffs - we will need to earn it by winning games and a top 2 finish in our Nations League group is likely to be what is needed to make the playoffs.

Four of the six group games will be played at the end of the current football season, so if we continue our current poor form in those games we may well have already blown our best chance of getting to Euro 2024 before the current season is out.

Edited by You Tell Me - 23 Sep 2021 at 3:27pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:18pm
These are the Pots for League B

Pot 1 : Ukraine, Sweden, Bosnia, Iceland
Pot 2 : Finland, Norway, Scotland, Russia
Pot 3 : Israel, Romania, Serbia, Rep of Ireland
Pot 4 : Slovenia, Montenegro, Albania, Armenia

MAtches to played in June and September

Wouldn't mind a nice trip to Reykjavik and Ljubljana tbh.

Scots guaranteed to draw Israel so we don't need to worry about them, wouldn't mind another crack a Finland think they were fairly lucky against in last NL.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:21pm
Some good potential trips there to places we've either not been to or not been to for a while. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:25pm
Is it true we've never played Ukraine in a competitive match?

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Yes. They've only existed since the 90s and we haven't drawn them since then. There can't be many European teams that we haven't played competitively against at this stage, Slovenia also maybe. We could draw both in this campaign.

Edited by You Tell Me - 23 Sep 2021 at 3:29pm
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Yes. They've only existed since the 90s and we haven't drawn them since then. There can't be many European teams that we haven't played competitively against at this stage, Slovenia also maybe. We could draw both in this campaign.

That would be great...make a change from playing Georgia, Wales and poxy Denmark every year.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Scots guaranteed to draw Israel so we don't need to worry about them, wouldn't mind another crack a Finland think they were fairly lucky against in last NL.

Iceland, Finland and Montenegro would do nicely for me. Helsinki is a great spot and I believe Montenegro is pretty nice also. I'd like to avoid Ukraine, Russia and Armenia for both footballing (first two) and travel reasons.
Idah Dream!
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:56pm

Or Slovenia
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 4:12pm

Ukraine, Slovenia and Kosovo are the only 3 we haven't played in a senior international game at all.

I think as someone said before We have played in Kiev against the USSR but that's as close as we've come. 
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Iceland, Finland and Montenegro would do nicely for me. Helsinki is a great spot and I believe Montenegro is pretty nice also. I'd like to avoid Ukraine, Russia and Armenia for both footballing (first two) and travel reasons.

Was in ukraine with the drogs, a bit dodgy but was a great spot!
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

UEFA has indicated that the 2022/23 UEFA Nations League Draw will take place in Montreux, Switzerland on Thursday 16th December

Thumbs Up will put it in the diary  - ahh bollix was looking to go YBIG London do that night
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Thumbs Up will put it in the diary  - ahh bollix was looking to go YBIG London do that night
Not sure why that would stop you unless you’re going to the draw.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 4:46pm
Excited for this with the possibility of actually going to these cities to see Ireland for the first time in 2 years.

Iceland the best draw in Pot 1 without their alleged criminal. Would like to go to Sweden too as it has been a long time but they are definitely a level above us so please avoid.

Pot 2 and Finland are definitely the best draw, despite the hard work we made of them last time, they are a poor side. For travel would be happy with anything bar Russia to be honest. I worry about us v anybody but Finland (and even v Finland given our recent record).

Pot 4 and Slovenia ideal draw for travel. Don't think there is much between the 4 teams ability wise.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 5:06pm
I think looking at the probabilities there's every chance if we finish 3rd in our group we get a play off of sorts! 20 places up for grabs in normal qualfiying and I would be amazed if 17/18 of those 20 weren't in League A/B. Take Germany out 3rd place puts us in 27th place at worst. In the event all the Group A teams qualify (likely most of them do) the League B teams slot into those play offs! 

That's not to say we shouldnt be hunting for a top 2 finish in it should be exactly what we are looking for. There's no team in League B to be remotely frightened off. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Doh - had it in my head the fixtures were out then 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 5:21pm

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Doh - had it in my head the fixtures were out then 
ah yes, sitting with numerous laptops with a different airline on each screen furiously searching the cheapest routes in the flight hunt panicClap
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 5:32pm

Ukraine, Slovenia and Kosovo are the only 3 we haven't played in a senior international game at all.

I think as someone said before We have played in Kiev against the USSR but that's as close as we've come. 

The mad one for me is that we've never played Greece in a competitive fixture. Those lads aren't exactly a newly established state.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 54>
  Share Topic