You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nations League 2022 Group B1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 54>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Is it true we've never played Ukraine in a competitive match?

Yes. They've only existed since the 90s and we haven't drawn them since then. There can't be many European teams that we haven't played competitively against at this stage, Slovenia also maybe. We could draw both in this campaign.

Ukraine, Slovenia and Kosovo are the only 3 we haven't played in a senior international game at all.

I think as someone said before We have played in Kiev against the USSR but that's as close as we've come. 

The mad one for me is that we've never played Greece in a competitive fixture. Those lads aren't exactly a newly established state.

We're normally in the same seeding as them likewise Ukraine

On form, we wouldn't finish top2 in any setting

Goes to show that the nl is actually very important........results do matter
Sponsored Links

Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Yes. They've only existed since the 90s and we haven't drawn them since then. There can't be many European teams that we haven't played competitively against at this stage, Slovenia also maybe. We could draw both in this campaign.

Ukraine, Slovenia and Kosovo are the only 3 we haven't played in a senior international game at all.

I think as someone said before We have played in Kiev against the USSR but that's as close as we've come. 

The mad one for me is that we've never played Greece in a competitive fixture. Those lads aren't exactly a newly established state.

I get it with Ukraine as they've only existed as an independent state for 30 years. As for Greece, there are plenty of other countries of a similar standard that we have played at least once in a competitive fixture. I just find it odd that in all the years (well beyond Ukraine's 30) we've never played Greece in a competitive match.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 10:00pm

Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

I get it with Ukraine as they've only existed as an independent state for 30 years. As for Greece, there are plenty of other countries of a similar standard that we have played at least once in a competitive fixture. I just find it odd that in all the years (well beyond Ukraine's 30) we've never played Greece in a competitive match.

Yeah the Greece one is very odd considering we'd never even played them in a friendly before 2000 and since have still only played them twice more in friendlies.

Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 10:27pm
Final pots

Ireland are Pot 3 in League B and will draw one from each of these. Ukraine Sweden Bosnia and Herzegovina Iceland Finland Norway Scotland Russia Slovenia Montenegro Albania Armenia
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 11:06pm
Some new opponents there at least. Happy to not see Denmark or Wales there, seen enough of them now.

The schedule is a bit mad, likely because of the World Cup in December. We'll be playing four matches between 2-14 June 2022 and then the remaining two games in the September window. Something to look forward to at the end of the season!
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Final pots

Ireland are Pot 3 in League B and will draw one from each of these. Ukraine Sweden Bosnia and Herzegovina Iceland Finland Norway Scotland Russia Slovenia Montenegro Albania Armenia
Iceland are in serious decline. Be good to get them.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 11:30pm

Final pots

These were final months ago though based on finishing positions in the NL - apart from the winners which only impacts group A?
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 12:14am
[QUOTE=Roberto_Carlow]Final pots

[/QUOTE

A nice situation in that we can get another 6 games to bed down what we are doing further blood new young players standing out. we will be playing decent teams even if we don't top the Group as such it will bring us on with a view to March 2023 which has to be the big target. 
Those teams are decent but are teams we can be competitive against and will be 2nd 3rd and 4th seeds in any potential qualifying Goup so if we can be competitive against them it will bode well for that. 

Even if we finish 3rd it should also give us a play off at least if we don't qualify through the groups. 

Edited by kevin100 - 11 Oct 2021 at 12:15am
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 8:19am
These were final months ago though based on finishing positions in the NL - apart from the winners which only impacts group A?
[/QUOTE]

Had read it wrong on twitter that Scotland and Israel had switched places.

greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 10:32am
so to qualify for the next Euros, where do we have to finish in our Nations League group?
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 11:17am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

so to qualify for the next Euros, where do we have to finish in our Nations League group?

Took this from Dale Johnson on twitter

Format for Euro 2024 qualifying is not yet confirmed, including any details of how teams might earn playoff spots via the Nations League. It's likely UEFA will want playoff paths via this route, though the same method as 2020 cannot be used as Germany take an auto slot as hosts
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 11:31am
Iceland
Finland
Slovenia 

Would be a couple of nice trips. Would also scratch Slovenia off the list of European team's we've never played
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 11:37am
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

[/QUOTE

A nice situation in that we can get another 6 games to bed down what we are doing further blood new young players standing out. we will be playing decent teams even if we don't top the Group as such it will bring us on with a view to March 2023 which has to be the big target. 
Those teams are decent but are teams we can be competitive against and will be 2nd 3rd and 4th seeds in any potential qualifying Goup so if we can be competitive against them it will bode well for that. 

Even if we finish 3rd it should also give us a play off at least if we don't qualify through the groups. 

From a purely footballing perspective - I'd like

A - Bosnia or Iceland
B - Finland or Norway
D- Any except Albania

Would like to avoid Sweden/Ukraine and Russia/Scotland - None of them are worldbeaters but they are probably a step ahead of where we are at currently. Ideal group for me would be Iceland, FInland, Montenegro
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

[/QUOTE

A - Bosnia or Iceland
B - Finland or Norway
D- Any except Albania

Would like to avoid Sweden/Ukraine and Russia/Scotland - None of them are worldbeaters but they are probably a step ahead of where we are at currently. Ideal group for me would be Iceland, FInland, Montenegro

Of course but then again playing a Sweden/Ukraine or our Celtic neighbours will be positive in its own way. Opposition a step ahead of us so to speak allows us to test ourselves. If we can be competitive against that sort of opposition 2nd/3rd seeds it will bode well for us with a view to bring competitive in the qualifying group. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 12:31pm

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

[/QUOTE

A - Bosnia or Iceland
B - Finland or Norway
D- Any except Albania

Of course but then again playing a Sweden/Ukraine or our Celtic neighbours will be positive in its own way. Opposition a step ahead of us so to speak allows us to test ourselves. If we can be competitive against that sort of opposition 2nd/3rd seeds it will bode well for us with a view to bring competitive in the qualifying group. 

Pluses and minuses to both I guess, I just feel with a young team, it would be nice to get a few results and not finish bottom of the group. A group with for example Sweden, Scotland and Albania would be difficult and as we have seen. a lot of Kenny's critics don't seems to care about performances or the quality of opposition.
Idah Dream!
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 1:00pm
The draw for this takes place Dec 16th
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Final pots

Worst
Sweden
Norway
Albania

Best
Iceland
Finland
Armenia

There's no scary there
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 4:35pm
Not too many Qatar qualifiers in that list - Sweden, Norway, Russia and Scotland still have a chance but cant see more than 2 qualifying.
Whoever we get they should be good competitive fixtures.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 54>
  Share Topic