You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup every two years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Would you be For or Against a biennial world cup?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [4.71%]
76 [89.41%]
5 [5.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 2:46pm
These ****s are killing the game. Its all about money and not football.

Would have zero interest in a World Cup held every 2 years.

Its already hard enough to have any interest in 2022 World Cup being held in f**king Qatar in poxy Winter because of all the brown envelopes UEFA took.

Then the f**king hack of 2026 being a 48 team World Cup that only benefits teams in sh*tty confederations like CONCACAF and AFC. aka they want to ensure the likes of USA and China make it every time with their massive populations and revenues they would bring.

Not to mention 2026 being spread out across 3 massive countries where its virtually impossible for fans to travel between cities.

Its a joke and the only way to take control is not to tune into the finals.

Sponsored Links

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 2:47pm
What are the proposals for the Euros if there is a WC every two years? 

If most countries of the World are in favour of this then why should it be stopped? 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

If most countries of the World are in favour of this then why should it be stopped? 

UEFA shoud only send teams every 4 years and make the whole alternative running of it, when the better Euros are on, a farce.

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Ceferin said something along the lines of “good luck having a World Cup without Europe and South America” when asked about this recently. Europe and South America hold the real power. Tell FIFA to fck off and pull out if FIFA go ahead with this ridiculous plan. I think it’s all a ploy to have an enlarged Club World Cup but if it’s not, it can’t work without Europe & South America.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 3:29pm
Exactly, wouldn't be much of a World Cup without

Argentina
Brazil
Uruguay
Chile
Colombia

and

Portugal
Spain
Italy
England
France
Germany
Netherlands

If you off the last World Cup you'd be left with

Mexico
Costa Rica
Tunisia
Egypt
Senegal
Iran
Nigeria
Australia
Japan
Morocco
Panama
South Korea
Saudi Arabia

Good luck trying to sell that to anyone!
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Argentina
Brazil
Uruguay
Chile
Colombia

and

Portugal
Spain
Italy
England
France
Germany
Netherlands

Mexico
Costa Rica
Tunisia
Egypt
Senegal
Iran
Nigeria
Australia
Japan
Morocco
Panama
South Korea
Saudi Arabia

From 2026 it will be 46 teams. Can you imagine?

As You Were
Three in a row
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Argentina
Brazil
Uruguay
Chile
Colombia

and

Portugal
Spain
Italy
England
France
Germany
Netherlands

Mexico
Costa Rica
Tunisia
Egypt
Senegal
Iran
Nigeria
Australia
Japan
Morocco
Panama
South Korea
Saudi Arabia

We could finally see the derby everyone wants to see at the main stage, Congo v DR Congo. 
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 11:57pm
should be a 3 year cycle

World Cup
Euros
then in the 3rd year a 32-team Club World Cup

I think we all agree summers without a major international tournament are rubbish.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 12:41am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

should be a 3 year cycle

World Cup
Euros
then in the 3rd year a 32-team Club World Cup

I think we all agree summers without a major international tournament are rubbish.

Leave it as it is.

Only change I would make is a second 32 team 'B' World Cup

I still think a B competition would have merit, it would be competitive without diluting the main competition 

As for Prestige? I would love it if Ireland won the B World Cup....LOVE IT!!!
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 10:53am
B world cup would definitely be deadly! The only problem would be when to host it? If it was say 2 years after the main world cup it's too far away from teams qualified and it would put players into different cycles whether they are part of A or B (maybe latter is not too a big a problem).

You would probably have to host it at the same time as the main world cup.
For example:
World Cup A hosted in America timezime (2 games per day)
World cup B hosted in APJ time zone (2 games per day). 

Sell as two separate broadcast packages. 
Fans would get 4 games per day (2 from world cup A and 2 from B competition)
But it would also be a football overload and take away from world cup A's prestige. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 21 Sep 2021 at 10:56am
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 10:59am
Another thing I really hate about Wenger's proposal is to have less international windows, e.g. 2 per year! 

1. I already cannot wait for the next window which is next month. Having to wait 6 months between the windows would be so sh*t.

2. What happens when your best player tweaks his hammy right before the condensed 2 week window and is out for a few weeks, he misses half the campaign and you are goosed 
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 10:59am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

B world cup would definitely be deadly! The only problem would be when to host it? If it was say 2 years after the main world cup it's too far away from teams qualified and it would put players into different cycles whether they are part of A or B (maybe latter is not too a big a problem).

For example:

But it would also be a football overload and take away from world cup A's prestige. 

Europa League and Champions League run concurrently. 

Many teams would be more suited to the B.

You could even have a C and D World Cup.

Have qualification and grading based on the Nations League.

At underage level, we always have gradings..sane should apply to senior international. 

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 11:01am

Another thing I really hate about Wenger's proposal is to have less international windows, e.g. 2 per year! 

1. I already cannot wait for the next window which is next month. Having to wait 6 months between the windows would be so sh*t.

2. What happens when your best player tweaks his hammy right before the condensed 2 week window and is out for a few weeks, he misses half the campaign and you are goosed 

100%.
The watering down of International football for the benefit of the massive clubs is all that seems to matter.
They just want the big European teams playing each other weekly to the world and sell that to every country.
All other forms of the sport are to be just feeders to that.

Greed generally always wins.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 11:07am
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

For example:

At underage level, we always have gradings..sane should apply to senior international. 

Yeah true. After I thought about it while writing, it would be very exciting and great for the countries who would be in it. The main countries could still not care so much about the secondary competition (like the CL) but the countries that are in with would fully consume both and embrace. 

Get Wenger on the phone Big smile
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 11:18am
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

For example:

I can see Uefa using the way that the U19s nation's league is gonna be used, and trying it out at senior level. Replace the actual qualifiers with just the nation's league and even throw a secondary tournament in for the teams that didn't qualify.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

100%.
The watering down of International football for the benefit of the massive clubs is all that seems to matter.
They just want the big European teams playing each other weekly to the world and sell that to every country.
All other forms of the sport are to be just feeders to that.

Greed generally always wins.
I'd be happy enough for International Football to be kept to summer months in non-tournament years, let leagues and Europe run from September to April, then we have 4/5 International games in June and another 4 in August, keep the away trips on the warm months.

Realise it has the big downfall of the key player being injured as you mention above, and the people who only do international games have no football to attend from Sept-April. 
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 1:48pm

No I can't, as it will be 48 teams. 2 group games + 4 knockout rounds + final. So 7 games to win it, same amount as now. 16 groups of 3, top 2 qualify for the knockout rounds. Penalties may be used in all games, including the group games.

Everyone knows why they want it every 2 years, they've wanted it for a long time, but it won't devalue the competition, anymore than every 2 years devalues the Copa America or the Afcon. The question is where would you fit it into the existing calendar?

I have to laugh when I hear UEFA lecturing about "too much football". This is an organisation that adds more European club games and competitions seemingly every year, that's before talking about extra playoff qualifiers, expanding existing tournaments, admitting fake countries in like Gibraltar and Kosovo, and bringing Qatar into it's organisation. LOL

Edited by planning - 21 Sep 2021 at 1:51pm
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

No I can't, as it will be 48 games. 2 group games + 4 knockout rounds + final. So 7 games to win it, same amount as now. 16 groups of 3, top 2 qualify for the knockout rounds. Penalties may be used in all games, including the group games.

Everyone knows why they want it every 2 years, they've wanted it for a long time, but it won't devalue the competition, anymore than every 2 years devalues the Copa America or the Afcon. The question is where would you fit it into the existing calendar?

I have to laugh when I hear UEFA lecturing about "too much football". This is an organisation that adds more European club games and competitions seemingly every year, that's before talking about extra playoff qualifiers, expanding existing tournaments, admitting fake countries in like Gibraltar and Kosovo, and bringing Qatar into it's organisation. LOL
A typo FFS.

As You Were
Three in a row
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic