Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EIRE - The next 10 years

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EIRE - The next 10 years
    Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 1:25am
How will it look?

I think we will fall to the absolute depths of International football.  In the bracket of Latvia, Belarus, Cyprus et al..
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 1:44am
The sh*tter we are the better the trips are....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Bukowski View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 3:09am
I don't think we'll fall much lower, I think we'll improve, but it's not linear.
I think improved coaching in Ireland and players moving to Continental cultures will improve young players.
With the extreme coverage of football available on TV and online, players are more aware of how to play, what the possibilities are, and can have aspirations that might not have been available to a kid in the 1970s who was told to "get rid of it".

What kids now have less of is street football as much as in the past.
So I think we'll see fewer George Best types, and more very competent players who respect the collective approach, and are suited to playing very well in a team environment.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 3:46am
Ah I think we will improve. There is a baron age group which will directly coincide with the children who were negatively impacted by the the FAI pissing money into stadium debt and high wages for senior staff. Now nothing has changed too much in terms of money being pumped in from fai but there are a few clubs who are doing their own things and funding it from outside resources and this is what gives me the most hope. The likes of Desmond with shamrock rovers, what sligo are doing, bohs with the kevins link up and solid support  I think we will start producing very good players again. 
This country is football mad. We say GAA is king but is it really? We seen the last international week there all of us here and the media were completely absorbed by the football, I'd say I had my most unproductive week in work for a many a year as I consumed all the media coverage. We love football. We have just missed the structure and fell far behind and are playing catch up. We have a unique situation where we became a wealthy country all of a sudden at a time where digital age was kicking off. We are all too busy for our kids. We came from being a third world country where players learned football on the streets and became footballers despite the system and lack or resources. Corrupt officials lining their own pockets in the way too no doubt (you just can't trust irish people with money and a bit of power). 
But I think we are realising our faults little by little and know if we want to produce good footballers we need to get kids playing more. Organised football well coached is the most realistic option.ideally, someone would be willing to invest in more all weather pitches I'm a cage. That is where street footballers are created.

FYI, I'm gargle. But I love my country and I am optimistic for the future
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:54am
Hopefully we're near the low point at the moment. We look to have at least two really good goalkeepers coming through and at least three really promising centre backs. That's a decent foundation to build an international team on - if you are solid at the back and don't give many goals away you will always be competitive. At the moment we are not, we consistently concede soft goals, but we have the potential to be in terms of the defensive players we have emerging. A lot depends on off the field decisions of course, but player wise there is definitely the potential for 2020 and 2021 to be looked back on as the low point.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:46am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

LOLClap Good man Andy 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 9:51am
We’ve been approaching rock bottom the last 5 years, in terms of the men’s senior team & the association, there’s been papering of the cracks but it was obvious to most. 
I think we’re starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, we’ve a cohesive underage structure for the very first time, we’ve a board that’s fit for purpose, we’ve a CEO who seems professional although how good he actually is at his job remains unknown and most importantly we’re starting to see reasons to be optimistic in the senior side. 
Have patience, be real in understanding what’s taking place and we’ll be get there 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 11:24am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

LOLClap Good man Andy 

😂😂😂
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 11:39am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

LOLClap Good man Andy 

😂😂😂

Jaysus. Maybe I should have stuck the to Guinness 0.0 EmbarrassedLOL
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

How will it look?

I think we will fall to the absolute depths of International football.  In the bracket of Latvia, Belarus, Cyprus et al..

My man - Mr. Positivity Hug
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 12:10am
With the amount of young potentials coming through that haven't been capped. I'd be more positive then negative. What has to happen is the end of the hoof ball and if that is Kenny, Robbie Keane or someone else. Enough is enough.  

It would damage this forums' reputation
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 12:04pm
Hummmmm may still have a little to go but not much , i do think we will start to climb higher sooner than later . Getting rid of JD and the job for the boys was massive , i like this openess we are getting or should i say starting to hear .
Like it has been said if we had Grealish and Rice in the side we would have been so much better .

The future is bright the future is Green Thumbs Up
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

I think we’re starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, we’ve a cohesive underage structure for the very first time, we’ve a board that’s fit for purpose, we’ve a CEO who seems professional although how good he actually is at his job remains unknown and most importantly we’re starting to see reasons to be optimistic in the senior side. 
Have patience, be real in understanding what’s taking place and we’ll be get there 
Jonathan Hill "seems professional" . . . until he gives our beloved Stephen the old heave-ho. Then, of course, he would morph into a blow-in sassanach boll*x. I mean, what CEO in his right mind would dump a manager with a 6.25% win-rate?  

Ah it’s yourself again. 2 top replies to me Clap

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Jonathan Hill "seems professional" . . . until he gives our beloved Stephen the old heave-ho. Then, of course, he would morph into a blow-in sassanach boll*x. I mean, what CEO in his right mind would dump a manager with a 6.25% win-rate?  

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 4:56pm
As I see it, the future is a bit brighter than parhaps many think. If we can qualify for Euro 24, we could be looking at a starting XI along the lines of the following, many of them still the right side of 25. Potential 23 man squad and their respective ages when Euro 24 starts hereunder.

1) Kelleher 25/ Bazunu 22/ Travers 25
2) Doherty 32/ Christie 31
3) Manning 28/ Bagan 22
4) O'Shea 25/ Omabamidele 22
5) Duffy 32/ N. Collins 24
6) Egan (c) 31/ Scales 26
7) Cullen 28/ Molumby 25
8) Hendrick 32/ Knight 23
9) Idah 23/ Parrott 22
10) Robinson 29/ Obafemi 24
11) Connolly 24/ Scully 25

Obviously these lads will have to continue to progress at club level and maybe its the green tinted glasses, but that looks like a potentially competitive squad to me and I'm ignoring lads 18 and under right now like Evan Ferguson or Zefi, who could be anything at 19. Right back is surprisingly a potential problem area, but elsewhere we look reasonably strong, particularly at GK and CB which is a solid base to build on. Plenty of other lads who could potentially make the breakthrough also - Smallbone, Doyle-Hayes, Ronan, Coventry, Kilkenny, Taylor etc. Maybe we pick up a granny ruler out of nowhere (Nathan Redmond) and maybe the likes of a Brady or Mc Carthy will have an Indian summer to their careers. Glass half full for me and happy to hand Kenny the reins if he can pick up a couple of positive results before the end of this campaign.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 7:00pm
The next 2 years will be the nadir years so to speak! Ireland at Cheltenham in the late 80s Rugby in the late 90s we all get those years in sport. 

We had 4 players start at the weekend which isn't bad at all considering where we are to be frank. West Brom getting promoted and there's every chance they will do will give us an Irish contingent next year playing top flight football by default not to mention Bournemouth. 

Coleman will be around for a while yet and Duffy looks back to his best. Clark at Newcastle keeps surviving. Plenty younger players as squad options too.

I would hope it will pick up after that and in 5 years time it will look better. We have young players who have the potential to develop into top flight footballers in practically every position it's all very promising!!

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 7:08am
I think that we'll probably be in a similar position in 12-18 months time before we slowly start to come out of it. Might just sneak qualification for Euro 2024 but think we'll have a really strong WC 2026 qualifying campaign with the majority of our team having gained valuable experience over the previous  campaigns and 1 Euros tournament.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic