You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Evan Ferguson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 159>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:13pm
Starts tomorrow according to Kenny. I think the right call. Give him 45-60 mins ahead of Monday 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 3:37pm
Definitely the right call. Give him a good run out before the France game and hopefully he scores his first goal.

Interesting to see who'll start with him. Obafemi is probably the only player I wouldn't be risking in this game given his injury record with us.
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:21pm
@premleaguepanel is a decent judge on twitter, seems to be believing the hype too but not on a haaland scale. sees him as a quicker version of giroud. united fans rubbing their lips at his  comments on being a mufc fan growing up. bohs sell on fee will be worth a fortune.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

@premleaguepanel is a decent judge on twitter, seems to be believing the hype too but not on a haaland scale. sees him as a quicker version of giroud. united fans rubbing their lips at his  comments on being a mufc fan growing up. bohs sell on fee will be worth a fortune.

I dont think it will make any difference to his choices going forward, but according to my 12 yo, he was very definitely a Liverpool fan as a kid.

My view is that he should stay with Brighton for at least another season, given it is likely they will have European football next season. He has plenty of time on his side and he looks like he is at the right club in terms of coaching/available minutes etc.

Edited by John Nice - 21 Mar 2023 at 4:48pm
Idah Dream!
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by 84ccfc84 84ccfc84 wrote:

I dont think it will make any difference to his choices going forward, but according to my 12 yo, he was very definitely a Liverpool fan as a kid.

My view is that he should stay with Brighton for a least another season, given it is likely they will have European football next season. He has plenty of time on his side and he looks like he is at the right club in terms of coaching/available minutes etc.
As long as Brighton are playing this kind of football it is insane to want him anywhere else like. Man Utd where he is a backup? People are nuts. 2 seasons at B righton and he will have plenty of prem experience.he is literally  Breaking through now because he rejected the big club... 

Edited by Nialler - 21 Mar 2023 at 4:46pm
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 5:05pm

I dont think it will make any difference to his choices going forward, but according to my 12 yo, he was very definitely a Liverpool fan as a kid

Depends on how much he values your wee mans opinion, John.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 6:40pm
Best part about all the stuff about Ferguson is that it is widespread and independent i.e. not just Irish media and supporters. And it is underpinned by a lot of analysis from seemingly informed journalists and analysts. Everyone seems to cite a very well rounded game which includes link up, pace, power and finishing. Little gaps in the skillset. And he is a centre forward. Of which there are very, very few as the recent World Cup demonstrated. Plus, he's 18. 

His second goal against Grimsby was easier than the first but there's an angle behind him showing the keeper doing well to get across. But Ferguson strikes the ball so true and so naturally in a manner you don't often see. It has been compared to Haaland's ball striking ability but I thought it was like how Robin Van Persie could catch a ball in his pomp of his left. Nobody is saying it wasn't Grimsby and nobody is saying he gets that space against a better side but he has a few more quality finishes in recent times. The Leicester header was brilliant. 
eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 7:48pm
We don’t have McAllister, Mitoma or even a Solly March behind Ferguson to support him so comparison’s with his Brighton performances may be premature until we’ve seen him up front for us with limited support lines. He did ok in the two play off games for the U21s last year scored the equaliser but missed a peno
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:19pm
Looked bored in the training vid......pining for the homeland?
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 8:39pm
Heard his granny lives on the Shankill Wink
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 9:23pm
will be the seventh youngest player to start a game for Ireland
https://twitter.com/irish_abroad/status/1638288349868818432

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Looked bored in the training vid......pining for the homeland?

thought the same. has gazzas waistcoat turned his head i wonder 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Best part about all the stuff about Ferguson is that it is widespread and independent i.e. not just Irish media and supporters. And it is underpinned by a lot of analysis from seemingly informed journalists and analysts. Everyone seems to cite a very well rounded game which includes link up, pace, power and finishing. Little gaps in the skillset. And he is a centre forward. Of which there are very, very few as the recent World Cup demonstrated. Plus, he's 18. 

His second goal against Grimsby was easier than the first but there's an angle behind him showing the keeper doing well to get across. But Ferguson strikes the ball so true and so naturally in a manner you don't often see. It has been compared to Haaland's ball striking ability but I thought it was like how Robin Van Persie could catch a ball in his pomp of his left. Nobody is saying it wasn't Grimsby and nobody is saying he gets that space against a better side but he has a few more quality finishes in recent times. The Leicester header was brilliant. 

He reminds me of Robbie Keane.  Scoring goals for fun at 18 at senior level and taking to it like a duck to water.   None of this bollox of the non goal scoring strikers we have  ''oh he will be good because he scored goals in the Kiddies Premier League.''

He looks the real deal. He just needs to keep doing what he's been doing and keep the feet on the ground and not get carried away.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2023 at 11:14pm
He will score goals for fun if we feed him alright. Just looks so natural. 

Looking forward to see what he can do from the start tomorrow evening. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 5:41am
What has impressed me is how many of his goals are from close range, areas which you want your striker to be in. We've enough players who can do the work outside the box (think about Idah's performances, even the better ones, and how little he was in the box getting on the end of things). Even when he has dropped deep, it's still more centrally so he's able to get back into dangerous positions close to the goal.

Unfortunately, we don't have anywhere near the caliber of player supporting him that Brighton does. With all the understandable hype around him, I think it'll go the opposite way if he doesn't score unless he puts in a performance like Robbie Keane against Argentina.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 7:25am

My view is that he should stay with Brighton for at least another season, given it is likely they will have European football next season. He has plenty of time on his side and he looks like he is at the right club in terms of coaching/available minutes etc.

https://twitter.com/ESPNUK/status/1638159780354183171

Mentions here he grew up a United fan when talking about playing with Danny Welbeck.

Edited by J89 - 22 Mar 2023 at 7:26am
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 7:41am
Ferguson is definitely a natural goal scorer, but for me it's his all round play that's most impressive.

I think the Haaland and Robbie Keane comparisons are off because Ferguson is technically a more rounded player than both. 

He has a great first touch, can link the play up with little dinks around the corner and is well able to take defenders on - Robbie could never really run at people.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 8:53am
Nah for me he is a mixture of Pele and the original Ronaldo 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 159>
  Share Topic