You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Laser Eye Surgery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser Eye Surgery
    Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 12:37am
Any of you cats ever get this done?  I'm blind as a bat in my right eye.  Anything not up close is blurry.
Tried to get contacts but kept flinching when I tried to put them in.  Getting sick of not being able to see distant stuff.

Is it risky or safe and how long are you out of action etc?

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 12:47am
I'm thinking about similar. Don't like wearing glasses in public and contacts are a pain in the hole at times and also 22 euro a month. 
Anyone I know who got it have been happy. Seems to be cheaper than ever too 

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 6:58am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Any of you cats ever get this done?  I'm blind as a bat in my right eye.  Anything not up close is blurry.
Tried to get contacts but kept flinching when I tried to put them in.  Getting sick of not being able to see distant stuff.

Is it risky or safe and how long are you out of action etc?

Will be looking at getting laser eye in the next couple of years. I think it's come on a huge amount in terms of the downtime after the surgery, recovery is meant to be very quick.

Keep going with the contacts. I had the same hassle initially, but you get used to it. I went from hating anything near my eyes to be able to put them in and out fairly easily in a short amount of time.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:11am
Got it done 12 or 13 years ago and money well spent.   Went with Optilase on Ely place. You can get tax back but it's only at the lower rate regardless of what rate you are on.  
AKA pedantic kunt
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:48am
Has yours regressed much over the years Baldie or do you still have close to 20/20?
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 11:22am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Has yours regressed much over the years Baldie or do you still have close to 20/20?

I havent noticed any issues or regression.   However I.never buy a round and I am a pedantic ****..  Not sure if they are connected to the surgery.  

I would highly recommended it and not risky at all.  It's a standard quick surgery esp if you have a thick cornea which luckily I did.   Best thing is to get the free assessment and see can you get the surgery in the first place. Not everyone can.  Day of surgery you come home and have a sleep.and right as rain the next day.   Swimming and impact sports are off for a few weeks but that's about it..  

Edited by Baldrick - 17 Aug 2021 at 11:25am
AKA pedantic kunt
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 11:34am
Mate of mine got it with Optical express a couple of years ago and his has been a nightmare so of course it has it’s risks.

He says he wakes up a lot of morning’s in agony.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 17 Aug 2021 at 11:42am
Jock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 3:02pm
Went for the free assessment a few years ago, they told me my eyes werent weak enough to get it done. My old fella went for the same assessment and his were deemed too weak. Considering going back for another, as I feel my eyes have got a fair bit worse in the meantime. 

A colleague got it done, he said his eyes regressed after about 15 years of getting it done and he now is back to wearing glasses a fair bit, which has put some doubt in my mind. However the procedure may have improved since then. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Went for the free assessment a few years ago, they told me my eyes werent weak enough to get it done. My old fella went for the same assessment and his were deemed too weak. Considering going back for another, as I feel my eyes have got a fair bit worse in the meantime. 

A colleague got it done, he said his eyes regressed after about 15 years of getting it done and he now is back to wearing glasses a fair bit, which has put some doubt in my mind. However the procedure may have improved since then. 

If I start regressing in a few years I will look into getting it done again.  That should do me then until I need glasses for reading. 
AKA pedantic kunt
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 4:10pm
Had it done 10-12 years ago. Best thing I ever did
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 4:49pm
I nearly got it done in London a few years back. Had the consultation but put it off in the end because I thought my private health insurance covered some of it and it didn’t. I met a doctor that does it as a profession after that and he said he’d always recommend waiting until you’re over 40 to get it done. 39 now so might look at it again in the next few years. I don’t like contacts. 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Had it done 10-12 years ago. Best thing I ever did

Likewise, 10 years this year. Was worth ever penny.
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
YBIG's resident Nordy/London Hipster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 7:31pm
!0 years plus now- agree with whats been said already - the best money I ever spent
@AntrimMan85
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 9:08pm
How much is it these days?  They seem coy about giving you a price until you go for a consultation

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:14pm

How much is it these days?  They seem coy about giving you a price until you go for a consultation

There's lots of variables. Depends on your prescription, cornea - all sorts. Back when I did it, there were options on type of incision, mechanical or laser that impacted it ( mechanical was cheaper, but they didn't recommend contact sports so not a runner for me)  back then to shape of your eyeball. My bother had it done somewhat against advice with astigmatism. His was a long slow recovery with results which reverted in the last 10 years but still ok. He had to get Lasek - which is the worst sort- a week in a dark room after with significant pain

In the UK , Lasik, the one that I had, 3 Grand these days? 5 or 6K EUR in ROI probably - others better placed to comment

Basically, painless surgery ( you smell the burning a touch )  go home that day, sleep, perfect vision the next day and off you go. 

@AntrimMan85
AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:17pm
The big thing for me was the type of vison.  I wore contacts, sometimes glasses. The difference I had between contacts and post laser vision was like the difference between old analogue telly and Sky HD. It was unreal. Being able to count sheep on a mountain a couple of mile away whereas it'd all be a blur after. Life changing stuff really. 
@AntrimMan85
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

There's lots of variables. Depends on your prescription, cornea - all sorts. Back when I did it, there were options on type of incision, mechanical or laser that impacted it ( mechanical was cheaper, but they didn't recommend contact sports so not a runner for me)  back then to shape of your eyeball. My bother had it done somewhat against advice with astigmatism. His was a long slow recovery with results which reverted in the last 10 years but still ok. He had to get Lasek - which is the worst sort- a week in a dark room after with significant pain

In the UK , Lasik, the one that I had, 3 Grand these days? 5 or 6K EUR in ROI probably - others better placed to comment

Basically, painless surgery ( you smell the burning a touch )  go home that day, sleep, perfect vision the next day and off you go. 

Is Lasek and Lasik different or is that a typo?

My concerns would be pain, blinding me permanently by cocking it up, or having some halos appearing etc...

BTW can they use laser surgery to get rid of floaters?  Them black things that you see when you say look at a white ceiling.  They do my head in as well.

AntrimMan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntrimMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 10:42pm

Originally posted by AntrimMan AntrimMan wrote:

Is Lasek and Lasik different or is that a typo?

My concerns would be pain, blinding me permanently by cocking it up, or having some halos appearing etc...

BTW can they use laser surgery to get rid of floaters?  Them black things that you see when you say look at a white ceiling.  They do my head in as well.

No, its two differnent methods depending on what your eye is like. Lasek, is horrible. Only option for certain eye types. Basically a laser burns away parts of your eye and its a bit of an ordeal. Its mostly a thing a the past for for certain eye types.

lasik, which most people are grand for, a flap in the ye is cut, they blast the back of your eye for a in or two, its all grand and youre done in half an hour.

Its pretty much 1 in  a billion of f**k ups as far as i know. Better chance of being hit by lightening. Go in and ask about a free quote and ask all the questions. Floaters, nah, still happen im afraid. Halo's - depends on type you get I think but never an issue for me
@AntrimMan85
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic