You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Joel Bagan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joel Bagan
    Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 3:10pm
Looks like 19 year-old Cardiff left-back, Joel Bagan, will be declaring for us. Made his first-team debut for Cardiff last season just after he turned 18 and made 7 league appearances for Cardiff.  Mick seems to like him.  He's started as left wing-back in Cardiff's first game of the season.

Started his career at the Southampton Academy before Cardiff stepped in.  Had a few months on loan at Notts County at 17 years old where he got a taste of senior first-team football.

Has three youth (u16) caps for Scotland, but born in England. Qualifies for us through both his grandparents on his mother's side (Cork and Kerry). 

His younger brother, Sam Bagan, a right back at QPR, has just been called up to our U19 training camp. 

Will hopefully be an inclusion in our next U21 squad, or - given injury and selection concerns respectively for Stevens and McClean - could be a bet for senior inclusion if he continues to hold his place in the Cardiff league 11.  

Developing well at Cardiff under Mick, where our young centre-half Mark McGuinness is getting game-time with James Collins up-front.  

Could be a fantastic addition as we don't have too many young left-backs coming through with his level of experience.  

Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 4:01pm
The line that he looks set to declare for us has been going around a while.
Has anything more concrete come out in recent days?

Or we just hopeful he will be in a squad in a few weeks?

Certainly a positive is he is included, as you say.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 4:44pm
No, and you'd imagine that if he's actually declared for us and any switch was formalised then we'd know about it already.

His ma definitely would've had it all over her twitter if he officially switched to us.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

No, and you'd imagine that if he's actually declared for us and any switch was formalised then we'd know about it already.

His ma definitely would've had it all over her twitter if he officially switched to us.

He was formalising it around the time his shoulder injury struck. It is being presumptuous. As for his mother on Twitter I don’t know she didn’t exactly announce that Sam Bagan was after declaring either just retweeted the call up so wouldn’t read too much into that. 

I’d be hopeful he still is especially when the younger brother has done so recently too on top of Joel himself intending on it until injury struck a few months ago. 

As stated Stevens Manning McClean for wing back and possibly Scales aside we are very light at LB so it would be nice to have another young left back on board playing at a decent level  

With Stevens injured you could make a case for him being in the senior squad even by default with the lack of depth. 

Edited by kevin100 - 12 Aug 2021 at 6:00pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 6:38pm
I'm sure Scotland will be devastated if he declares for us.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2021 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

I'm sure Scotland will be devastated if he declares for us.

LOL Yes, it's rough when you're two best players are left backs 

. . . or even right backs, when switched back on us.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 4:56pm
Good news on a day where the paper-thin nature of our squad is exposed once more.
And a great additio to the 21's.  I assume this is why JC meant when he said some surprises.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Good news on a day where the paper-thin nature of our squad is exposed once more.
And a great additio to the 21's.  I assume this is why JC meant when he said some surprises.

Here's the article! Also anyone know the status of Dolan at Blackburn? Wonder is he eligible! https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mick-mccarthy-reveals-delight-cardiff-21408524.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Will be a pretty interesting squad alright! Bagan and Oko Flex were the two I wanted to see if they were with us! Oko Flex is the other guy I want to see as I still wonder is he with us id have question marks! 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

When you look at the u21s, they are clearly more competitive facing other u21s when you go toe to toe. It's been like that for a few years now

Just a waiting game to see more of the benefits into the seniors. 

Oshea, bazunu and knight are good improvements already 

Parrott, idah and molumby are on the peripheries.

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 6:55pm
Joel Bagan included in our U21 squad!  Big smile

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mick-mccarthy-reveals-delight-cardiff-21408524 

Apparently declared a few days ago: 

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/scotland/joel-bagan-switches-international-allegiances-from-scotland-to-republic-of-ireland/

Great to see!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Joel Bagan included in our U21 squad!  Big smile

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mick-mccarthy-reveals-delight-cardiff-21408524 

Apparently declared a few days ago: 

https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/scotland/joel-bagan-switches-international-allegiances-from-scotland-to-republic-of-ireland/

Great to see!

Ah, theres now 2 JB threads.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 7:07pm
My bad I created the 2nd one didn't realise this existed! If anyone wants to delete mine fire away we can use this (I can't delete any thread can I)? 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

My bad I created the 2nd one didn't realise this existed! If anyone wants to delete mine fire away we can use this (I can't delete any thread can I)? 

Think it's an automatic ban Kev.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 9:54pm
Definitely a good addition in a position where we don't have a huge amount of talent coming through compared to other parts of the team. He's first choice for Cardiff at the moment, although getting a bit of stick from the support who think he's been promoted too soon, but it's great experience at a high level given his age all the same.

Looking at our other left back options at under 21 level he should go straight into the first 11. Will Ferry was played out of position back there during the summer games and Crawford didn't seem to have much faith in Shane Flynn.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 7:33pm
Seen him today for Cardiff he played very well! They were woefully devoid of pace but Bagan was the exception to that. 

He's good on the ball too from what I saw today. Hopefully himself Manning etc can start getting more of a look in during the next year or so. My one worry with Kenny is he seems to be quite married to McClean who is blatantly not suited to the way he's trying to play and isn't a LWB to begin with.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:24pm
How does he qualify for us?
I love beer gardens
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

How does he qualify for us?

Is it a parent? Not sure, he played in out last u21 game anyway so they've already sized up his kit and he's played in it.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 8:39pm
Must keep an eye out for him. See how he gets on.

Edited by doherty - 12 Sep 2021 at 8:39pm
I love beer gardens
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic