You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Abroad 2021/22

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2021 at 2:32pm
Festy Ebosele's first goal in senior football, Josh Cullen's 200th career appearance, Shaun Williams' 450th appearance in English football, and more in the weekend round up: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog?id=5914726949422348002

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Sponsored Links

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2021 at 10:32am
Ahead of the final two qualifiers, I'm joined by Mark Kennedy of hawkeyesidekick to discuss the squad picked by Stephen Kenny to face Portugal and Luxembourg, the U21 squad, Ruud Dokter's decision to leave, and the new away jersey
https://shows.acast.com/irish-football-fans/episodes/episode-35-the-proverbial-cup-final

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 12:40pm
Dark Matters: a deep dive into claims made on Second Captains about Giovanni Trapattoni's time in charge: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog?id=913796039860266728

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 12:55pm
Early is someone who is very entertaining to listen to and quite articulate in what he says, but that kind of hides the fact that a huge amount of what he says is absolute nonsense. Being honest, he possibly talks even more nonsense than Dunphy used to.

I don't think you necessarily need to have played the game at a high level to write about it or talk about it on the radio or on a podcast but, as someone who has played a good bit at amateur level, every time I listen to Early it's just so obvious that he has likely never played a minute of competitive football in his life. He is also prone to massive exaggeration to try to prove a point, as demonstrated here.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Dark Matters: a deep dive into claims made on Second Captains about Giovanni Trapattoni's time in charge: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog?id=913796039860266728

I wonder how that would look for competitive games only (I don't want you to go to the effort of working this out by the way!)

I think the argument is to some extent valid, for both Trap and in particular O'Neill's reigns. But it seems likely as much to do with a dearth of young talent coming through during their respective times in charge. 

Similarly now, with quite a few good young players coming through, it helps Kenny to make the shift towards using younger players. HAving said that, its easy to imagine all of our previous managers (other than maybe McCarthy in his first spell) playing the likes of Clark over Omobamidele and Hogan over Idah.

As the above poster says - its best to treat Early similarly to Dunphy - its entertainment more so than analysis. Often the first half of a podcast touches on all of the stuff around the game rather than the games themselves - that's where the entertainment value often lies.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 3:17pm
In the penultimate podcast episode of 2021, I'm joined by Mark Kennedy of Hawkeye Sidekick to discuss Ireland's UEFA Nation's League group draw and the fixtures for 2022, as well as Stephen Kenny's contract
acast: https://shows.acast.com/irish-football-fans/episodes/episode-36-group-b1

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 7:34pm
Looking forward to listening to this over Christmas.

Thanks lads for all the work throughout the year in producing these. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 4:02pm
Will Keane's tenth goal of the season, Anthony Forde's first assist of the season, Jeff Hendrick's first appearance since Saturday, 2nd October, and more in the weekend round up: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog?id=7800548442408939204

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2021 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Looking forward to listening to this over Christmas.

Thanks lads for all the work throughout the year in producing these. 
Thanks man, one more episode to come before the end of the year
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 7:14pm
In the final podcast of the year I'm joined by Mark Kennedy of Hawkeye Sidekick and Philip Flanagan of The Bottomless Pit of Football to review the lows and highs of Irish international football in 2021, including the worst home result of our lifetimes, the worst moment of Stephen Kenny's reign, and how, in the final seven games of the year, the manager has gotten the team to play the football he wants them to play, and we want to see.
acast.com: https://shows.acast.com/irish-football-fans/episodes/episode-37-2021-a-year-in-football
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/30VHicBCVtEKWBoXk7bXn0?si=WNvGFmjRQWOZpq1tN0eHSQ

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:01am
After 11 years of live updates on twitter, facebook, and the live blog, it looks like it's all going to end this week. The free service I had been using to power them is shutting down on Thursday, and, unless a replacement can be found, all three will grind to a halt. There's a few other paid services online that offer the same updates, but since the Irish Abroad site itself has no ads, and generates no income, I can't afford to pay for any of these.
I'm open to suggestions on how to keep things going, but otherwise it's all going to go really quiet from Friday.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 11:36am

After 11 years of live updates on twitter, facebook, and the live blog, it looks like it's all going to end this week. The free service I had been using to power them is shutting down on Thursday, and, unless a replacement can be found, all three will grind to a halt. There's a few other paid services online that offer the same updates, but since the Irish Abroad site itself has no ads, and generates no income, I can't afford to pay for any of these.
I'm open to suggestions on how to keep things going, but otherwise it's all going to go really quiet from Friday.

Are Twitter and Facebook looking to charge you now?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 11:45am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Are Twitter and Facebook looking to charge you now?
no, they're still free, and hopefully always will be
it's the live feed of games, with lineups, goals, bookings, etc, that's being shut down, and while there are replacements available (e.g. api-football, footystats, statsbomb) they all charge a fee, or their free account is highly restricted

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 1:40pm
Setup a Patreon to cover the costs maybe?
Probably be pennies split between a few people?
Just a thought.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 2:12pm
Yeah, a patreon is the most likely solution, at least in the short term.
api-football have some good 6 and 12 month subscriptions available for better price than the other two
Opta would be the ideal solution but they're really pricey
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 10:16am
Update on this, the supplier is going to keep going for one more week, but I don't know for how long more after that - they're pretty unrepsonsive at the best of times - so I've been investigating  some alternative
On the suggestions of patreon or gofundme to cover the cost of subscriptions to the alternative sites, I've never used either fundraising service before, so (among other things) I have to find out if it counts as income - has anyone here used them before for fund raising?

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 19 Jan 2022 at 10:20am
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 11:49am
Update on the live blog and player updates.
Finally managed to get a response from our data supplier and things will continue as normal until the end of the 2021/22 season. After that, I honestly have no idea what will happen.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 3:05pm
In the first podcast episode of 2022, I'm joined by Mark Kennedy of Hawkeye Sidekick and Philip Flanagan of The Bottomless Pit Of Football to discuss Irish player transfers and loans in the January 2022 Transfer Window, and the two friendlies announced for the end of March
https://shows.acast.com/irish-football-fans/episodes/episode-37-the-january-2022-transfer-window
https://open.spotify.com/episode/6gb3FlS2Zdw2h6lbCemno1?si=506c5f3481c64097

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic