Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liam Scales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 11:06pm
Probably because he is good enough and the others aren't.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 11:28pm
people actually thought celtic were going to sign him and put him in their leinster senior league team, and he'd move to them on that basis.  He has well over 100 senior appearances including european games.  Afolabi and O'Connor had been released by their clubs prior to joining celtic.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I think it has more to do with their left back struggles than anything else. 

Incidentally, he is a few years overage for their "Leinster Senior League team" so was never going to be playing for them. He'll be playing for their senior team or not playing at all.

Hopefully he does well but the opposition tonight, Raith Rovers, would be the equivalent of a League of Ireland Premier Division team, so he has still to make the step up to SPL football. Maybe he'll get his chance this weekend.
HANSSUP View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HANSSUP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 12:25am
Raith Rovers similar to a LOI Premier side, LOL!!!  Most of the teams in the LOI Premier would be well able for the Scottish premiership, as a comparison of the past few years results in Europe show.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 3:41am
Maybe the other Irish lads aren't good enough, they're young so time will tell, but Okoflex is a strange one. He did get a couple of cameo appearances as a sub in the first team when half the players were out with Covid, didn't do much but then got a transfer to West Ham in the PL where he is already looking like a first team prospect.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 7:56am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Incidentally, he is a few years overage for their "Leinster Senior League team" so was never going to be playing for them. He'll be playing for their senior team or not playing at all.

Hopefully he does well but the opposition tonight, Raith Rovers, would be the equivalent of a League of Ireland Premier Division team, so he has still to make the step up to SPL football. Maybe he'll get his chance this weekend.

Bolingoli who played the other day was on the bench tonight. Scales was played ahead of him, more importantly, Scales looked very composed and comfortable and I can see him playing a lot more. 

Afolabi and O'Connor are not good enough, you previously acknowledged this about O'Connor.

Okoflex looked way off the pace when he played for Celtic so surprised to see him doing well at West Ham.

Connell - 2 Celtic managers don't seem to rate him, it doesn't help that there were always a good few lads ahead of him. Hopefully his loan spell is successful and he can kick on. He's only gone 20 so is still very young.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 10:19am

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Bolingoli who played the other day was on the bench tonight. Scales was played ahead of him, more importantly, Scales looked very composed and comfortable and I can see him playing a lot more. 

Afolabi and O'Connor are not good enough, you previously acknowledged this about O'Connor.

Okoflex looked way off the pace when he played for Celtic so surprised to see him doing well at West Ham.

Connell - 2 Celtic managers don't seem to rate him, it doesn't help that there were always a good few lads ahead of him. Hopefully his loan spell is successful and he can kick on. He's only gone 20 so is still very young.

I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily. I agree about O'Connor and Afolabi. I can't see Afolabi making the grade at all and if O'Connor gets there he'll have to go the long way around similar to John Egan and many others before him.

I like Liam, always have, I think he's a really nice footballer and I hope he makes the grade at Celtic. It wouldn't have been my preferred destination for him being honest, given their recent record with Irish players. All I'm saying is that their struggles at left back is what's giving him a potential opportunity as much as anything. If they were as well stocked there as they are in some other positions he'd probably never get a sniff. But he has a potential window between now and the January window to make his case and hopefully he can do it.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 2:20pm
 I actually really like Montgomery think he will be a talented player in time! He has looked hopelessly out of his depth in recent weeks and as for Ralston don't get me started. 

Surely after last night Scales will be given a run almost by default? 

Edited by kevin100 - 01 Oct 2021 at 2:21pm
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:06pm
Called into the squad to replace Manning.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Called into the squid to replace Manning.

Fixed
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Called into the squid to replace Man o'war.

Fixed

Fixed again
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Called into the squid to replaice Man o'war.

Fixed

Fixed again

And again.. This is great craic.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:28pm

Called into the squid to replace Man o'war.

Fixed

Fixed again
LOL

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:29pm

Called into the squid to replaice Man o'war.

Fixed

Fixed again

And again.. This is great craic.

What do you marine?

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:56pm
Jelly good choice.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:10pm
I might get accused of having the green titled specs on but I find it baffling he's not started a game for Celtic yet. Montgomery looks totally out of his depth for now a kid. 

Ange has referenced a "patient" approach with him but he's 23 and he can't be any worse then Celtics other full backs. Looked okay in the cameo against Raith Rovers too. 10 men Raith Rovers context needed I know but he impressed a lot for Celtic fans going off the bird app also. 

Edited by kevin100 - 07 Oct 2021 at 1:10pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:11pm
There were trouts over Manning's squidness so it only made sense to replaice him with Scales. It would've been shellfish of Manning to play through the coxswain barrier.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

There were trouts over Manning's squidness so it only made sense to replaice him with Scales. It would've been shellfish of Manning to play through the coxswain barrier.

The whiting was on the wall for Manning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
  Share Topic