You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Team Ireland Olympics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

thought it was a rather forgettable affair and a complete disaster on the ratings front. the least watched olympics in recent memory.

I thoroughly enjoyed it tbh! Helped that I'm on holidays so was able to get up for the gold medal events and was able to watch some morning and evening sessions. Really enjoyed the marathons and 50k walks
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 7:16pm
Worst Olympics I remember from being able to catch anything live.

Hate when big tournaments are in the Far East and Aus/NZ region.

At least we have a nice little run now for the next several years:

Qatar World Cup 2022
Paris Rugby World Cup 2023
Germany euros 2024
Paris Olympics 2024
US/Mex/Can World Cup 2026
Los Angeles Olympics 2028

Likely a Rugby World Cup in 2027 in Australia but otherwise all decent timezones for watching live. Would Cup in Spain in 2030 likely also. Hopefully be there in person for a few of them!

Edited by t_rAndy - 10 Aug 2021 at 7:18pm
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2021 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Worst Olympics I remember from being able to catch anything live.

Hate when big tournaments are in the Far East and Aus/NZ region.

At least we have a nice little run now for the next several years:

Qatar World Cup 2022
Paris Rugby World Cup 2023
Germany euros 2024
Paris Olympics 2024
US/Mex/Can World Cup 2026
Los Angeles Olympics 2028

Likely a Rugby World Cup in 2027 in Australia but otherwise all decent timezones for watching live. Would Cup in Spain in 2030 likely also. Hopefully be there in person for a few of them!

In that case, you won't have much time to worry about them.

LA is the same as Tokyo in reverse, 8 hour difference. So is San Francisco and Vancouver in Canada for the WC. Mexico isn't much different. You could have Ireland games on at 2am here then. I've watched Ireland friendlies in America, in pubs in Dublin at 2am, amidst the all singing all dancing devils buttermilk guzzlers. I'm a 24h person, if I really have to watch a sports event live at 4am or 4pm, it's not an issue. 

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

All in all, our most successful Olympics since 1932 Clap (96 doesn't count, obviously) The medalists will rightly get all the headlines, but there was some fantastic individual performances throughout. Lots of reasons to be optimistic that Paris 2024 will be even more successful for Team Ireland 

96 very much does count. The 3 gold medals won all stand, and put us ahead of the brits in the medal table. Given that the first Olympics I saw was in Seoul, where we won no medals at all, I'm not going to turn my nose up at the few that we do win. At least our medallists get the works though. Their own personal homecomings, the first guests on the Late Late Show every season, their own spots on Reeling in the Years, all the sports awards cleaned up. In contrast to the brits where they win their medal and you never hear from 90% of them until the next Olympics. 

As regards the spectacle itself, it was unquestionably the worst games ever. There was no sense of occasion about any of it. No fans, no heart, no soul, no colour, no celebrations, where the Pentathlon descended into farce and the biggest story was of a rebel Belarusian athlete refusing to go home. 30 years on from Mike Powell breaking the long jump record and Carl Lewis leading home an American clean sweep of the 100m in the same stadium, every track and field winner tried to celebrate in a silent soulless bowl. Every single medal ceremony was ruined by facemasks, many were ignored by broadcasters because of it, they just showed the post ceremony photo where the colour and emotion that goes with winning a medal could finally albeit briefly, be seen. At least the masks should be long in the skips by the time Paris comes around, and the colour and sense of occasion that is part and parcel of the Olympics should be back for everyone to see. 
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 9:58pm
Paris Olympics now coming into focus. Ireland so far has qualified over 60 athletes. As usual our best hopes of a medal is boxing and rowing although  we may have joy in gymnastics, swimming and golf. Both hockey teams have made into the semi finals of this week's qualification tournaments were three make it to Paris. However both are seriously up against it from here as they will have to pull off a massive shock each to qualify. 

Another interesting point is that a lot of our best medal hopes come from over the border. Rory, Ciara, Rhys, Daniel and a couple of boxers.

Edited by ripbomb - 17 Jan 2024 at 10:09pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Paris Olympics now coming into focus. Ireland so far has qualified over 60 athletes. As usual our best hopes of a medal is boxing and rowing although  we may have joy in gymnastics, swimming and golf. Both hockey teams have made into the semi finals of this week's qualification tournaments were three make it to Paris. However both are seriously up against it from here as they will have to pull off a massive shock each to qualify. 

Another interesting point is that a lot of our best medal hopes come from over the border. Roey, Ciara, Rhys, Daniel and a couple of boxers.

Aye that’s really interesting interesting.
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 10:50pm
Good few from the ybig parish heading over to Paris. As spectators, not athletes 😂

Can't wait. Accommodation is extortionate but long time til there will be another games on our doorstep. 
Touts Out!
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 7:54am
is it harder now for the hockey teams to make the Olympics? They are usually there aren't they, mind you don't go too far
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 9:17am
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

is it harder now for the hockey teams to make the Olympics? They are usually there aren't they, mind you don't go too far
The men have only played in the Olympics twice: 1908 and 2016.
The ladies qualified in 2020 for the first time. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 9:23am
Adeleke might sneak a medal, but it will depends on the fitness of the other athletes and her own form.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

The men have only played in the Olympics twice: 1908 and 2016.
The ladies qualified in 2020 for the first time. 

Don't know why I thought that then!
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 1:06pm
Women in a shootout now for an a Olympic spot. Live RTE news. Finished 0-0.   More than held their own 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by ripbomb ripbomb wrote:

Women in a shootout now for an a Olympic spot. Live RTE news. Finished 0-0.   More than held their own 
Should have won the game in normal time. Will kick themselves now.
At least they still have another chance.
ripbomb View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ripbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 11:17pm
As expected both hockey teams lost their semi finals. The women did well but really will not be good enough to take out the Brits in last chance saloon tomorrow. The men were never going to defeat Spain but have a decent opportunity v South Korea to qualify. 
Both sides remind of the football team as in they can't score against top opposition but unlike our lads are able to defend and don't give up cheap scores.
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2024 at 4:40pm
Great Britain 2 -1 Ireland in Olympic Qualification play off 😪
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2024 at 11:51pm
Adeleke out the gate this year lowering her national record in the 60 indoors StarClapClap
Touts Out!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 8:46am
Originally posted by cliffrichard cliffrichard wrote:

Adeleke out the gate this year lowering her national record in the 60 indoors StarClapClap

And 200.

Considering it's only January and her 1st races of the year, you can expect her to go faster.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2024 at 4:23pm
Great win for the Men’s Hockey team. In 2012 they missed out with a defeat to South Korea in UCD. Amazing to qualify . David Harte still playing away after almost 20 years as an international.
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2024 at 2:32am
Good on them for qualifying but as a sport I just can't get past the team of 'rich boys' ethos to the sport 

Edited by Healy52003 - 22 Jan 2024 at 2:32am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
  Share Topic