You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mark McGuinness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 4:40pm
Cardiff unlucky with the deflections before the goal at the end, but a point at Leeds while they still have Gnonto and Summerville playing for them is a good result that they wouldn't have gotten without McGuinness there. Would be reasonably confident he'll be a Premier League player within two or three years.

O'Dowda was excellent as well to be fair, looked a different player compared to the Greece game. Not unreasonable to ask why some of our players aren't replicating their club form at international level.
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Cardiff unlucky with the deflections before the goal at the end, but a point at Leeds while they still have Gnonto and Summerville playing for them is a good result that they wouldn't have gotten without McGuinness there. Would be reasonably confident he'll be a Premier League player within two or three years.

O'Dowda was excellent as well to be fair, looked a different player compared to the Greece game. Not unreasonable to ask why some of our players aren't replicating their club form at international level.

O'Dowda made some good interventions, but it was clear to see again that he simply isnt a defender, Leeds got in behind him far too easily on several occasions. He's a good player, but he is never a left back.
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2023 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Tis a shame for him that we are so strong in that position. Egan. Collins, O'Shea, Omobamidele and Lenihan probably the top 5 as things stand - Duffy is back playing regularly again, Mc Nally is still uncapped, Cashin was perhaps the best CB in League One last year so competition is so tough for a spot in the squad leaving aside the likes of Dunne and Mc Loughlin who played regularly in the Chship last year also.

Lenihans place in the squad isn’t exactly untouchable. Duffys part in Norwich’s first goal proves why he shouldn’t be in squads going forward bar numerous injuries! 

Should hopefully establish himself in Cardiffs team this year and I could see a potential to be relegated team like Sheffield Utd/Luton going in for him next summer if he can stay right and establish himself. 

Dont agree with this at all, he hit the woodwork soon after. It was also his first full competitive game in yonks. A fully fit Duffy comes in to the reckoning to start games for Ireland imo and certainly makes the squad. Doesnt hit 32yo until next January - his 7 goals in 55 internationals warrant him every consideration if fully fit and starting regularly in the Championship.
Idah Dream!
SeanC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 1:48am

Tis a shame for him that we are so strong in that position. Egan. Collins, O'Shea, Omobamidele and Lenihan probably the top 5 as things stand - Duffy is back playing regularly again, Mc Nally is still uncapped, Cashin was perhaps the best CB in League One last year so competition is so tough for a spot in the squad leaving aside the likes of Dunne and Mc Loughlin who played regularly in the Chship last year also.

Lenihans place in the squad isn’t exactly untouchable. Duffys part in Norwich’s first goal proves why he shouldn’t be in squads going forward bar numerous injuries! 

Should hopefully establish himself in Cardiffs team this year and I could see a potential to be relegated team like Sheffield Utd/Luton going in for him next summer if he can stay right and establish himself. 

Dont agree with this at all, he hit the woodwork soon after. It was also his first full competitive game in yonks. A fully fit Duffy comes in to the reckoning to start games for Ireland imo and certainly makes the squad. Doesnt hit 32yo until next January - his 7 goals in 55 internationals warrant him every consideration if fully fit and starting regularly in the Championship.

Defenders are judged on defending not on hitting the post at other end. If he continues to make mistakes like that Duffy will lose the Norwich fans and have another Celtic year. Can’t continue to have lapses irrespective of how dangerous he is on attacking set pieces.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 2:05am
Do we have any conclusive photographic evidence of him?  

This could be a seismic shift in  the situation lorra lorra lorra
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 10:38am

Egan,Collins,O’Shea,Omobamidele,McGuinness,McNally even young lads like Garcia McNulty,Murphy,O’Brien,Abankwah gradually coming on the scene. 

Just think going forward we have loads of promising ball playing CBs we ought to look to them now.

Edited by kevin100 - 07 Aug 2023 at 10:39am
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 11:47am
 I would not dismiss Duffy from the squad if he is playing regularly and well. Just because he made a mistake on the first day of the season at a new club and hasn't started regularly for over a season and a half now.
Plus using "another Celtic season" as an example for potentially how his season is going to go is not great especially his form was more due to the fact his father died  that season.
Over half of the Ireland squad are under 25yo and two thirds of the squad have 20 caps or less. We have a very youthful and inexperienced team in international standards with a small percentage of experienced leaders in the squad. It is why Coleman and McClean are still important players to the squad at 34yo. You have Egan (our current captain), who else is a leader in that squad Browne, Doherty, Hendrick? No offence  to them but I would not be confident if one of them were leader in and captaining the team out on the pitch.
Duffy is still a good option IMHO if he is fit, playing regularly, on form and sharp. His leadership, experience and influence on the squad is istill mportant.
Some of the younger centre back that have been mentioned still have a lot to do and develooe to be called into the squad IMO. Some of them are stillwaiting for their break out season of regular first team football at a high standard.
McGuinness and McNally have potential to be the next in line for the Irish Squad if they play well regulary again this  season. I agree on the point that Lenihan's players in the squad is not cemented especially, he has have very mixed performances in his limited time he has played. He was very poor against the Greeks I thought. He is a captain for Middlesborough tho.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 5:49pm
New four year contract at Cardiff for McGuinness. That's probably more to protect his value for Cardiff though, I'd be surprised if he sees out half that contract, he'll be moving onto better things. Apparently there has been interest from our "friends" in the north, but hopefully he remains committed to us despite the high level of competition in his position.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 6:11pm
Don't see why he's committed to a new deal so early and hope he's got a decent release clause in the deal. Out of contract next summer I assume and would have gotten a better move especially if he could have walked on a free.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 6:16pm
Would imagine he got a bumper pay rise and a reasonable release clause if his agent is any good at all. He probably won't have been on a big wage before now.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 7:59am
Really think this lad should be in the next Ireland squad, has been standing out for Cardiff all year. For me he has moved ahead of McNally (in and out of the Stoke team), Lenihan (never been overly convincing for Ireland) and Duffy (sorry, but clearly finished at international level after the last two games). He's good in the air, he's good on the ball, I think he can have a career similar to Dara O'Shea and move up a division in the next year or two.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 9:44am

Really think this lad should be in the next Ireland squad, has been standing out for Cardiff all year. For me he has moved ahead of McNally (in and out of the Stoke team), Lenihan (never been overly convincing for Ireland) and Duffy (sorry, but clearly finished at international level after the last two games). He's good in the air, he's good on the ball, I think he can have a career similar to Dara O'Shea and move up a division in the next year or two.

LOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 10:24am
Duffy has a role for Ireland if we are playing deep. However if we play with a high line and want to press you can’t play Duffy.  One thing a manager must be is coherent and consistent in their strategy and their decision making and those things have to match up.  If you want to play from the back you need a keeper with decent feet and so on.  If you want to hoof it long you need a big man.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 11:08am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

LOL

You can laugh all you want Horse, but he's done. He can't hold the line at all which means that if you play him you're giving up 10 or 15 yards on the field every game, or else he's costing you goals like he did this month. Unless we go back to sitting deep the whole time and punting it long up the park you just can't have him there.

Edited by You Tell Me - 23 Sep 2023 at 11:09am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 11:24am
It doesn't really matter what you or I think, I just don't think he's done and there is absolutely no doubt that he will be included in future squads and again under the next manager.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 11:47am
Duffy is a liability. He will cost us a goal every two games at least. 
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 12:25pm
Duffy should never be in an Irish squad again
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2023 at 12:42pm
ah here LOL

Usually when a person doesn't like a player - all the mistakes, goals conceded and losses are usually directed at that particular individual somehow or another. We see this all the time.

Posters love a scapegoat as it makes them feel better.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic