You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Booing our players for taking a knee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Any fans booing inside the ground should be dealt with by the fans around them. I’ll be extremely embarrassed if there’s any booing, some posters here trying to excuse their own racism is unreal
Yeah that’s a great idea so you’ll basically just end up with scraps in the stands. If someone is booing beside you just mind your own business and say nothing.

Jesus Christ. 
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 1:37pm
I can't see this being an issue for us. There isn't going to be any booing. We aren't English
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 1:38pm
I think the things we can all agree on are that we all want racism out of football, sport in general and life in general.

Also I think its fair to say that If players continue with the gesture to take the knee will this alleviate racism? Well no. 

Will Rashford receive 65 hate messages instead of 70 as a sign of progress? No.

At best taking the knee raises awareness, but awareness is not really the issue.

The sad truth is that there will be racism in football next season and taking the knee is simply a banal gesture.

Sadly tackling racism is not simply down to identifying racists and kicking them out of football.

One black footballer was racially abused on social media after a game, the police were involved and it was a 12 year old boy. I'm not sure what we do about that... the virtue signalling soft thinkers on here would say name and shame him and potentially ruin his life. I guess we could do that.

Shall we fine the parents? Imprison them? Who can we blame and what punishment shall we deliver? Shall we extend the pushishment to antisemitism and the sort of abuse aimed at mcclean? 

Who decides what's racist exactly so we can punish them? People that boo are racist according to this forum now. 
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

It is black and white though - England players are telling you exactly why they are taking the knee. If you boo them then you are standing against what they are standing for which means you are against highlighting racial inequality. 

You don't need to take a knee to highlight racial inequality. Unless you live in Mars, everyone knows it exists. We know why it started, and it has nothing to do with football. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 1:59pm
Im not sure how anybody reads more into the taking of the knee than a demonstration of solidarity, and a show of coordination. The fact that one of its initial appearances was at a major spring event should make it clear why it has become relevant in sport across the world.

Politics and football are closer than people think. Not only do many football clubs have political ideology, football, in various ways has a nexus with government, especially in the UK where there is bespoke regulation related to supporters, the standards stadiums must be up to etc.

This will run its course, but in the meantime, I'm not sure why people feel so concerned about it. It is a fleeting moment in advance of a game. Also, those who boo it, what does that achieve?
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 2:23pm
There’s a lot of confusion over the meaning of this knee gesture. I think that indicates a lack of clarity but also a concerted effort to discredit the idea and movement in the US and elsewhere.

Mods or some of our podcast folks: off the wall idea, but would it be possible to hold an Ask Me Anything type Q&A on the forum/podcast and invite along somebody who could speak to BLM in the Irish football context? 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

It is black and white though - England players are telling you exactly why they are taking the knee. If you boo them then you are standing against what they are standing for which means you are against highlighting racial inequality. 

You don't need to take a knee to highlight racial inequality. Unless you live in Mars, everyone knows it exists. We know why it started, and it has nothing to do with football. 
Correct but these footballers are telling you they are taking a knee to highlight it. They could not have been more clear about that fact.
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 2:59pm
there is a far larger degree of racism in Ireland than people think. Some of the posters on here don’t even try to hide their racism while others try to disguise it.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

there is a far larger degree of racism in Ireland than people think. Some of the posters on here don’t even try to hide their racism while others try to disguise it.

How much racism do people think there is in Ireland?

What amount or percentage quantifies a far larger degree of it than people think?

You seem to be the racism expert, surely you'll be along fast to fill us in.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

If you dont agree with the Knee, just keep your mouth shut. If you cant say any good about a man then say nothing....

It's a free country so people can do whatever they want. I wouldn't take the knee myself and I wouldn't protest against it. I'd prob just stand an observe it. If fans want to support it by clapping or taking a knee they can and if they want to protest it they can.

Personally I'm against persecution of all races and racism against every creed including my own white colour/ Irish identity and as you know still to this day Irish racism is commonplace. You won't see me singling out a movement for blacks in America, whites in South Africa, Jews, Muslims in China or any other countless examples. 1 single movement for ALL racism is what we need. 

Edited by eireland - 14 Jun 2021 at 6:46pm
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 9:26am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

100% correct. I think some folks saying they can't see it happening at an Ireland game are naive to say the least.

Love the usual arguments about keeping politics out of football and all that nonsense as well. Shut up and dribble type idiocy. 

You're also not allowed have an opinion or express anything about injustices outside of your own context, of course. American anti-racism has nothing to do with Europe, therefore we also shouldn't show any support to Palestine, sure isn't that happening in another place miles away as well.

The fact is taking the knee is just a small demonstration against racism and people who are against the gesture, are uncomfortable about being reminded of what they are kneeling about. Whether they are racists or not isn't really the point, you don't have to be a full blown member of the Irish National Party or KKK to be part of the problem. If you are unhappy with the gesture and starting to get het up about this being an American problem or whatever just shows that you're not listening to the English players or Irish black folks over the last year (minimum). 
Jicked View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jicked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I think the things we can all agree on are that we all want racism out of football, sport in general and life in general.

Also I think its fair to say that If players continue with the gesture to take the knee will this alleviate racism? Well no. 

At best taking the knee raises awareness, but awareness is not really the issue.

The sad truth is that there will be racism in football next season and taking the knee is simply a banal gesture.

Sadly tackling racism is not simply down to identifying racists and kicking them out of football.

One black footballer was racially abused on social media after a game, the police were involved and it was a 12 year old boy. I'm not sure what we do about that... the virtue signalling soft thinkers on here would say name and shame him and potentially ruin his life. I guess we could do that.

Shall we fine the parents? Imprison them? Who can we blame and what punishment shall we deliver? Shall we extend the pushishment to antisemitism and the sort of abuse aimed at mcclean? 

Who decides what's racist exactly so we can punish them? People that boo are racist according to this forum now. 

Real bang of "you get thrown in jail just for being English these days" off this and all your absolutely embarrassing posts in this thread.

Young black sportsmen showing some solidarity by taking five seconds to carry out a gesture which in no way impacts the game and your reaction is this freak-out because it should be the middle aged white audience who are to tell them if they feel discriminated against and how & when they may try to shine light on that.  Were you this vexed when UEFA started dragging out the pre-game by several minutes to have the players shake hands? I bet you find this one a little more threatening for some reason...

You're absolutely desperate for someone to call you racist, champing at the bit. I won't do so, but I bet you've found yourself nodding along to Gemma O'Doherty's insane ramblings from time to time.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 2:34pm
Really hate the "if you can't solve everything, why do anything?" argument too. A small reduction in the messages Rashford gets doesn't solve racism, and nobody is saying it will, but it's a start
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 2:55pm

I think its fair to say that the majority of people who boo taking the knee are racists. Mostly of the type..."I'm not racist...but....."!
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Really hate the "if you can't solve everything, why do anything?" argument too. A small reduction in the messages Rashford gets doesn't solve racism, and nobody is saying it will, but it's a start

If an action even makes the tiniest amount of progress then its very much worthwhile.

But to be fair the 'taking a knee' campaign seems to be counter productive and divisive. I suspect this is due to the fact that its too heavily associated with blm who are openly Marxist, promote rioting and instead of reforming police action seek to defund it. Not everyone (black or white) support those values.

I appreciate players have made it clear as to their reasons, but at this point the 'taking a knee' is too heavily associated with them and has clearly lost its intended message.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 4:13pm

If an action even makes the tiniest amount of progress then its very much worthwhile.

But to be fair the 'taking a knee' campaign seems to be counter productive and divisive. I suspect this is due to the fact that its too heavily associated with blm who are openly Marxist, promote rioting and instead of reforming police action seek to defund it. Not everyone (black or white) support those values.

I appreciate players have made it clear as to their reasons, but at this point the 'taking a knee' is too heavily associated with them and has clearly lost its intended message.
Jaysus, how many times does somebody need to explain that taking the knee was happening long before the BLM movement happened. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 4:32pm

Jaysus, how many times does somebody need to explain that taking the knee was happening long before the BLM movement happened. 

If I have to define the word 'associated' to you, it would just be embarrassing at this point.

Edited by Left foot - 15 Jun 2021 at 4:38pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 4:45pm

If I have to define the word 'associated' to you, it would just be embarrassing at this point.

So, if I understand you correctly you think that because people don't listen to what the players say and chose to incorrectly "associate" the gesture with something else then it should stop?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic