You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Booing our players for taking a knee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Booing our players for taking a knee
    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 3:42pm
Listening to Newstalk earlier and they were speculating that a minority of our fans could boo our players for taking a knee in September.

I was livid and hadn't even considered the possibility.  Just seen though that even more Scottish fans (42% v 39%) are opposed to their team doing it than England fans.  

Bad enough as it is to listen to opposing fans booing our players it would be a thousand times worse if any of our own did it.  Anyone think it is going to happen?  My own thoughts are no way and really hope I'm right.        
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 3:56pm
You'll unfortunately get a few idiots 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 4:00pm
I can't see any of our fans booing our players for it. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 4:07pm
You will get a few idiots no doubt. They should just be drowned out by everyone else clapping 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I can't see any of our fans booing our players for it. 

Oh I can absolute see it happening. Not on the scale of England but there's defo a few idiots at our games who'll do it

Edited by Denis Irwin - 12 Jun 2021 at 4:28pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 4:32pm
I was thinking about this the other day, what would be the proper response if there was booing?
Clapping just doesn't seem enough but can't really think of anything else! Singing Stand up for the Boys in Green could send a confusing messageLOL
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 4:42pm
Personally, I would never boo our players. A lot of them are millionaires and don't have to be there but turn up for the love of ireland.

We also need to remove any racism from football as it has no place. There are foundations like 'kick it out' setup to combat such things plus clubs are fined for such things by the federatioms and rightly so.

However this taking the knee stuff is pointless and doesn't seem to do anything but cause devision.. I believe Zaha has said he's not prepared to do it anymore.

Politics has no place in sports and taking a knee is an American political campaign making itself popular again with BLM. Additionally BLM is an organisation that wants to defund police. Which is as completely stupid an idea as I've ever heard. By the way, not restructure the police but defund them. 

The whole taking the knee this is a shambles that isn't working. Keep politics out of football and support functions like 'kick it out' instead. 

Non black players are now compelled to take a knee as not doing so results in potential backlash. It should be voluntary but its clearly.not anymore. That's not a good place to be

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 5:09pm
Sport is and always has been in politics. To ignore that is farcical.

If people boo, cheer and clap and drown them out
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 5:14pm
Why did we do this vs Hungary but not vs Andorra? 

Arguments that it isnt a political statement fall flat on its face when you take that into account. 

We already have laws to protect against racism and racism is socially unacceptable. Our players have always been supported whether black, white, yellow or orange.

Ogbene saying that Hungary should be punished for booing is laughable stuff. 

Who decided that Andorra werent worthy of the knee but Hungary were?

Though it's getting to the point now where anybody who thinks this kneeling stuff isnt worth a thing is labelled a racist for daring to go against the groupthink.

There seems to be a desire among many to import American social problems - the George Nkencho protests clear evidence of that.

I would live to know where this supposed systemic racism takes place in Irish society, given immigrants are offered free housing, healthcare, welfare and education.

Why is racism a more worthwhile cause for protest than any of the other causes? If our lot were any good we would be off to Qatar where homosexuality is illegal. Bazunu gets his wages paid by owners who have committed horrific human rights abuses including child slavery. It's all optics for the social media generation.

James98 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 6:52pm
I support the battle against racism but I dont support a terrorist organisation like BLM so I will be booing the players if they continue to the take the knee and sincerely hope they do their research like the Hungarian and Polish players have done a realise what they are really standing for and stop doing so by September.
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by E2016It's all optics for the social media generation.<div><br></div>[/QUOTE E2016It's all optics for the social media generation.

[/QUOTE wrote:

In a nutshell, the look at me generation. The latest

In a nutshell, the look at me generation. The latest hip thing. What about the poor people in Palestine, or the whites in South Africa getting burned out of their homes because they’re white, etc. No knee for these?

It’s pure bullsh*t.

I’m anti racism - but I’m also also anti anything really when human rights are being abused, such as in Palestine, in South Africa, or where ever.

The blacklivesmatter movement, total bullsh*t - and even pleanty of blacks think so too. 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 8:15pm
The good old what about.

YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 8:59pm
Hadn't considered it to be honest, I can't imagine anyone would boo it. Is it happening in England? The Irish fanbase doesn't really attract many scumbags does it? I've never heard monkey chants or anything.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

Why did we do this vs Hungary but not vs Andorra? 

Arguments that it isnt a political statement fall flat on its face when you take that into account. 

We already have laws to protect against racism and racism is socially unacceptable. Our players have always been supported whether black, white, yellow or orange.

Ogbene saying that Hungary should be punished for booing is laughable stuff. 

Who decided that Andorra werent worthy of the knee but Hungary were?

Though it's getting to the point now where anybody who thinks this kneeling stuff isnt worth a thing is labelled a racist for daring to go against the groupthink.

There seems to be a desire among many to import American social problems - the George Nkencho protests clear evidence of that.

I would live to know where this supposed systemic racism takes place in Irish society, given immigrants are offered free housing, healthcare, welfare and education.

Why is racism a more worthwhile cause for protest than any of the other causes? If our lot were any good we would be off to Qatar where homosexuality is illegal. Bazunu gets his wages paid by owners who have committed horrific human rights abuses including child slavery. It's all optics for the social media generation.

I’m truly shocked this is your opinion LOL
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 9:17pm
If you dont agree with the Knee, just keep your mouth shut. If you cant say any good about a man then say nothing....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

If you dont agree with the Knee, just keep your mouth shut. If you cant say any good about a man then say nothing....

I wouldn’t boo myself as it’s a delicate issue but I have zero issues with supporters booing the knee - they’re not booing because they’re racist (well vast majority) - they’re booing this pathetic blacklivesmatter movement. It was powerful for the first match or two. Since then it’s been diluted to look at me crap. I don’t agree with it - to speak out against it doesn’t make you racist despite the spin trying to be put on it.

I also have no issues with supporters booing those that boo the knee!

All about opinions and if people want to bring this into the game, we’ll then be prepared for those that have an issue with it to give their spoke too. 

Personally, I think it should be all kept out of football! 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 9:38pm
I was starting to think there was no need for the knee as it was diluted and black lives matter movement was becoming a bit anti-white in my opinion which is then just as bad. But now that people are booing the players I think its more important that they the players continue to show their solidarity for each other. Let's catch the people booing and make them feel ashamed of themselves. Maybe start punishing them with stadium bans, etc. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 12 Jun 2021 at 9:39pm
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I wouldn’t boo myself as it’s a delicate issue but I have zero issues with supporters booing the knee - they’re not booing because they’re racist (well vast majority) - they’re booing this pathetic blacklivesmatter movement. It was powerful for the first match or two. Since then it’s been diluted to look at me crap. I don’t agree with it - to speak out against it doesn’t make you racist despite the spin trying to be put on it.

I also have no issues with supporters booing those that boo the knee!

All about opinions and if people want to bring this into the game, we’ll then be prepared for those that have an issue with it to give their spoke too. 

Personally, I think it should be all kept out of football! 

Absolutely should be kept out.....taking the knee has a long history, but it's most recent history involved 'taking the knee' to the American national anthem, it thus became political (in a country thousands of miles away) ......then you have the Sky with it's words when the knee gets taken like it some solemn ceremony with 'black lives matter' splashed upon the screen ............noticed there was no knee with the Italians to no furore but then again the Western Woke culture can't help itself with it's ringleaders in chief the US and UK.....course we have follow suit like good puppy dogs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic