Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020: Group D CRO, CZP, ENG, SCO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 10:15am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Scotland really needed to get at least one goal back there. Hard to see where they go from here in the tournament other than yet another first round exit. England at Wembley on Friday, even a 1 goal defeat there leaves them with a mountain to climb. It's possible to get out of a group in a 24 team tournament with 3 points, but your goal difference has to be decent to do it and Scotland's is already in trouble after that loss. England will almost certainly pile on more agony for them.

11 major finals tournaments now for Scotland, looking like 11 first round exits. An incredible record.

That's mental! We're 4/6 in getting over the first hurdle, which puts things in perspective! 

And one of the ones we missed was after a win and a draw. We actually would have gone out of that tournament even if we'd beaten Russia and had 4 points.
Don't mean to be pedantic but it was the Soviet Union. They had a far bigger pool of players to draw on compared to the pool Russia has to draw from today. At euro 88 their squad only had 4 Russians in it. 

Wasn't it bascially Dynamo Kyiv squad with a couple of others added 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

When you think of the players Scotland have produced down through the years, thats a terrible stat

Tbf the world cups they qualified for in the 70 & 80’s was a massive achievement as so few teams qualified. 

I think they beat Holland in 78 which was a massive win and just missed out on GD.

But yeah it odd they didn’t at least make one knock out round. 

They missed out in '78 because they were the only team in the group not able to beat Iran. The other two sides beat them by three goals. That's kind of the thing with Scotland at major tournaments - no matter how good or bad their team is they just find a way not to get through.

Also don't think Marshall warrants much criticism in terms of positioning for the goal. His team had possession - shot blocked and Czech striker hits it perfectly first time from miles out. All happened very quickly when you watch it back. His positioning was where you would expect your keeper to be when your team has possession near the opposition box.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Jeez think some are being very harsh on the Scots here, that was a real 50/50 game decided by the Czechs being clinical for that first goal (bad defending but also a perfect cross and header) and a worldie. That 2nd goal would knock the wind out of any team's sails but Scotland still had chances after, if they had nicked one back in that wee 10/15 minute spell I'd have fancied them to go on to get the equaliser.

Marshall's positioning was atrocious but you have to say he gets away with it 99 times out of 100. Not often you see a lob so perfectly executed, it was unbelievable.

I would blame Hendry more than the keeper.  Absolute madness taken on that shot when so many had pushed up. 

There was a free player to his right and McTominay was free in his inside too - he should have made either pass and return to his centre back position.

Edited by horsebox - 15 Jun 2021 at 11:27am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 11:25am
I thought Czech Republic were atrocious for the first half hour but improved a good bit after that. Scotland still shaded it and probably should've scored a couple but the Czechs took their chances and that's the difference. Dykes and Adams are useless finishers but, to be fair, when Scotland went more direct they gobbled up everything in the air. We could do with one of them ATM.

I'll echo that Stephen O'Donnell is abysmal at this level.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 11:38am

Scotland really needed to get at least one goal back there. Hard to see where they go from here in the tournament other than yet another first round exit. England at Wembley on Friday, even a 1 goal defeat there leaves them with a mountain to climb. It's possible to get out of a group in a 24 team tournament with 3 points, but your goal difference has to be decent to do it and Scotland's is already in trouble after that loss. England will almost certainly pile on more agony for them.

11 major finals tournaments now for Scotland, looking like 11 first round exits. An incredible record.

That's mental! We're 4/6 in getting over the first hurdle, which puts things in perspective! 

I knew their record was bad but that's unbelievable. Still not out of this group...yet
It would damage this forums' reputation
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 11:46am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Jeez think some are being very harsh on the Scots here, that was a real 50/50 game decided by the Czechs being clinical for that first goal (bad defending but also a perfect cross and header) and a worldie. That 2nd goal would knock the wind out of any team's sails but Scotland still had chances after, if they had nicked one back in that wee 10/15 minute spell I'd have fancied them to go on to get the equaliser.

Marshall's positioning was atrocious but you have to say he gets away with it 99 times out of 100. Not often you see a lob so perfectly executed, it was unbelievable.

I would blame Hendry more than the keeper.  Absolute madness taken on that shot when so many had pushed up. 

There was a free player to his right and McTominay was free in his inside too - he should have made either pass and return to his centre back position.

Hendry got carried away maybe after hitting the bar from distance a few minutes before
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Hendry got carried away maybe after hitting the bar from distance a few minutes before

That and scoring a long ranger against the Dutch last week, must have thought he was a player for a minute.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Wasn't it bascially Dynamo Kyiv squad with a couple of others added 
Yes the 86 and 88 starting XI was pretty much ten Kiev players and Dasaev (Spartak Moscow).

Lobanovski was the coach, Kiev obviously.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 12:22pm

the way the first round of results have gone I think 4 points will be needed … maybe 3 with a +ve gd.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

And one of the ones we missed was after a win and a draw. We actually would have gone out of that tournament even if we'd beaten Russia and had 4 points.
Don't mean to be pedantic but it was the Soviet Union. They had a far bigger pool of players to draw on compared to the pool Russia has to draw from today. At euro 88 their squad only had 4 Russians in it. 

That's one for the "What I learned today" thread.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 10:09am

It is just before Scotland v England in the Euro’s Group game.

Kane goes into the English changing room to find all his team mates looking a bit glum.

"What's up?" he asks.

"Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's important but it's only Scotland. They're sh*te and we can't be bothered".

Kane looks at them and says "Well, I reckon I can beat these by myself, you lads go down the pub."

So Kane goes out to play Scotland by himself and the rest of the English team go off for a few pints. After a few jars they wonder how the game is going, so they get the landlord to put the teletext on. A big cheer goes up as the screen reads "England 1 - Scotland 0 (Kane 10minutes)". He is beating Scotland all by himself!

Anyway, a few more pints later and the game is forgotten until someone remembers "It must be full time now, let's see how he got on". They put the teletext on.

"Result from the Stadium "England 1 (Kane 10 minutes) - Scotland 1"(Angus McShagnasty 89 minutes)".

They can't believe it, he has single handedly got a draw against Scotland!!

They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate him. They find him in the dressing room, still in his gear, sat with his head in his hands. He refuses to look at them.

"I've let you down, I've let you down."

"Don't be daft, you got a draw against Scotland , all by yourself. And they only scored at the very very end"

"No, No, I have, I've let you down...

I got sent off after 12 minutes"

Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Kane goes into the English changing room to find all his team mates looking a bit glum.

"What's up?" he asks.

"Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's important but it's only Scotland. They're sh*te and we can't be bothered".

Kane looks at them and says "Well, I reckon I can beat these by myself, you lads go down the pub."

So Kane goes out to play Scotland by himself and the rest of the English team go off for a few pints. After a few jars they wonder how the game is going, so they get the landlord to put the teletext on. A big cheer goes up as the screen reads "England 1 - Scotland 0 (Kane 10minutes)". He is beating Scotland all by himself!

Anyway, a few more pints later and the game is forgotten until someone remembers "It must be full time now, let's see how he got on". They put the teletext on.

"Result from the Stadium "England 1 (Kane 10 minutes) - Scotland 1"(Angus McShagnasty 89 minutes)".

They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate him. They find him in the dressing room, still in his gear, sat with his head in his hands. He refuses to look at them.

"Don't be daft, you got a draw against Scotland , all by yourself. And they only scored at the very very end"

That joke is older than Aido’s jocks.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 11:14am

"What's up?" he asks.

But not quite as old as as that €10 in your wallet what you carry around for the last number of years .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 11:23am

"What's up?" he asks.

I like it Clap
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 11:49am
That joke is facking brutal LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

That joke is facking brutal LOL

It's so bad it gets a laugh Thumbs Up
It would damage this forums' reputation
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:27pm

"What's up?" he asks.

But not quite as old as as that €10 in your wallet what you carry around for the last number of years .

Or the unused condom beside it 😀
AKA pedantic kunt
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:51pm
Hoping England absolutely hammer the Jocks tonight. 

3/4-0 please.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>
  Share Topic