Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Realistic expectations for the next window

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 4:50pm
Being realistic 4 points would be a good haul but if I let my overly optimistic self take over.

If Portugal have any kind of Euros Hangover then why couldn't we at least pick up a draw there

Azerbaijan will be difficult but I still think we should have enough to pick up a win.

Serbia at home I think we could beat them, bar goalkeeping errors in Serbia we could have won or least drew that game.

I definitely think we'll bring the confidence from the Training camp into these fixtures whether it will be enough I'm not sure
Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

first time poster so I am gonna come out all positive!! Smile

We'll catch Portugal cold after their exertions in the summer at the Euros and hang on for a nil all draw. We have Azerbaijan up next and we should be expecting ourselves to beat them. That brings a very postive team attitude into the final game of the series at home to Serbia. We showed away from home that we could compete with them. A few goalkeeping errros cost us. I fancy us to go into that game on a huge high and turn them over.

Leaving us with 7 points out of 9, and somehow, miraculously, our chances of getting 2nd place in the group are in our own hands.... I'm not ruling out a World Cup yet!!

I'll go further. We'll get all 9!
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

We have been largely dire under Kenny and while last night was a little bit more positive, pre tournament friendlies are fairly meaningless for the teams involved. We stunk the place out vs Belarus before going on to produce 3 of our best performances in a decade over the following weeks. I wouldnt put much stock in us managing a draw with Hungary, despite it being a positive at least in the context of Kenny's reign.

1 point from 9, coming in a draw v Azerbaijan, and the final nail in the coffin for Kenny I expect.

Completely agree with you. Normally, I'd expect a win over Azerbaijan and fancy getting something out of the Serbia match. However, all I expect under Kenny is a draw with Azerbaijan and nothing from the rest which should mean the end for him. 
You expect or hope?

In a thread with 'realistic expectations' in the title, considering we have no competitive victory under Stephen Kenny and our only win of his reign of 12 games came in a friendly against a joke outfit who have 6 wins in their history - surely this is the most realistic response. Christ even the Andorra game we tried our best to avoid winning it. 

The other responses are pie in the sky stuff, if we are actually bring realistic.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 5:30pm
We will get 2 3 or 4 points with 3 points our most likely haul. 

Edited by Baldrick - 09 Jun 2021 at 5:30pm
AKA pedantic kunt
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 8:35pm
I don't expect us to get anything from Portugal but I didn't expect us to get anything from the Dutch, France, Italy or Germany in the past and we pulled a draw out of the bag.

I do expect us to beat Azerbaijan, most likely a close affair and a 1-0 or 2-1.

Serbia are no world beaters, as we have seen recently. Good results and performances in the 1st 2 games would have us filled with confidence going in to that and we have a better chance of beating them, than they do of us.

Obviously we need to avoid another injury crisis, a bit of luck or ruthlessness in front of goal, and fingers crossed, Ronaldo announces his International retirement after the Euros!
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:17pm
beg steal or borrow a point in faro would likely be a game changer 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:40pm
Not getting hammered and cut apart. If we can show some sort of progression against Portigal and create some chances that would be good. A draw would be brilliant but probably unlikely. An early goal for them would be a disaster. If we could get to half time withoutvtjem scoring we might start getting notions.
I love beer gardens
Jimmy Raggatip View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Raggatip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Portgual will be too good but Serbia, if you took Tadic out of the team for example, I dont think are absolutely above our level.

not this again. They are absolutely a rung above us at the moment.
Landsdowne90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landsdowne90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Portgual will be too good but Serbia, if you took Tadic out of the team for example, I dont think are absolutely above our level.

Yeah sadly true, I do fancy us getting something out of the game in Dublin though. More to them than just Tadic, Vlahovic in Serie A was superb if I remember correctly and that’s just one example.

Edited by Landsdowne90 - 09 Jun 2021 at 11:55pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Landsdowne90 Landsdowne90 wrote:

Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Yeah sadly true, I do fancy us getting something out of the game in Dublin though. More to them than just Tadic, Vlahovic in Serie A was superb if I remember correctly and that’s just one example.

Milinkovic-Savic was linked with Man Utd.
geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 12:04am
Depends which Serbia turn up, you never know what you are going to get with them. If they turn up playing to their potential we don't have a chance, if they turn in a half arsed performance like they are capable of doing then anything could happen! 

They used to say playing a big country coming off a summer with an international tournament was an opportunity to spring a surprise- don't think that will be a factor against Portugal unfortunatelyLOL 

3 points against Azerbaijan and 2 performances that are competent/good in the other two games would be par for the games. Anything more is a bonus, anything less....well no need to go into that after the decent week we had!

Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 12:24am
Were not beating Portugal 

The Thought of us playing them is scaring me but id go to the home match in November just to see the quality they have 

Edited by Healy52003 - 20 Jun 2021 at 12:28am
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 9:49pm
Can see us being badly turned over by Portugal. 4-0 maybe if things go against us. Ronaldo, Jota, Fernandes, Cancelo, Bernardo Silva, Dias. They look really formidable. Azerbaijan are no mugs and I would like to think we beat them but it honestly depends on what Ireland shows up. The Luxembourg one and we will beat again. The Serbia or Hungary team and we should have enough. Serbia have know how and are very experienced. If they play well they should beat us. Maybe we will get a point on a good night.

We are a team in transition so I hope to see some green shoots and see some younger players pushing on in the next window. Maybe see a few cement their place in the team.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
howieb View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 12:09am
Not a hope of us getting anything away to Portugal. The problem with going away to Portugal next game is we couod get a hiding and confidence would be really low going into the Azerbaijan game. 
I'll go for a win against Azerbaijan and a draw against the Serbs but wouldn't be surprised if we draw with Azerbaijan and lost to Serbia. 

Edited by howieb - 22 Jun 2021 at 12:11am
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 9:05am
There's not many teams in the world that would get any sort of result against Portugal in Portugal.

Ot would be a test for us.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic