Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sammie Szmodics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 47>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 10:42pm
Young Szmodics has been recommended for an EIRE call up by Martin O'Neill
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Shermanator1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shermanator1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:03am
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Originally posted by Shermanator1 Shermanator1 wrote:

An interesting prospect. One to keep an eye on.

He's 28 in a few months. 
At 27, is he past his expiration date?  Over the years we've had a number of players who've made their debuts in their mid-twenties and have gone on to have productive international careers. My point was, that he offers something different.
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:19am

He's 28 in a few months. 
At 27, is he past his expiration date?  Over the years we've had a number of players who've made their debuts in their mid-twenties and have gone on to have productive international careers. My point was, that he offers something different.

Haven't said that at all. He may bloom late or he may continue to be inconsistent & regularly miss chances that have to go in. But at 27, what he is not, is a prospect any longer. 

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:35am

He's 28 in a few months. 

Haven't said that at all. He may bloom late or he may continue to be inconsistent & regularly miss chances that have to go in. But at 27, what he is not, is a prospect any longer. 

Whether he is or not, prospect has absolutely zero to do with age.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 8:00am

He's 28 in a few months. 

I would say it's the amount of attacking talent coming through that is more relevant that Szmodics age. At 27, he still has plenty of years left - but the likes of Ferguson, Obafemi, Connolly, Idah etc will probably put paid to his chances of playing much for us anyway.
We're decent enough..
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 9:40am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He's 28 in a few months. 

I would say it's the amount of attacking talent coming through that is more relevant that Szmodics age. At 27, he still has plenty of years left - but the likes of Ferguson, Obafemi, Connolly, Idah etc will probably put paid to his chances of playing much for us anyway.

To be fair to Szmodics, he is an attacking midfielder (#10) rather than a forward. I'm not sure he is good enough for a call up tbh (he struggles to consistently hold down a first team place at Blackburn), but his age absolutely shouldnt be a barrier. We have had plenty of players whose best performances for Ireland have come in their late 20s/30s.
Idah Dream!
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 12:53pm
Jonathan Walters made his senior Ireland debut at 27yo.
Enda Stevens made his debut at 27yo.
Keith Andrews made his debut a 28yo.
They are just a few examples of players who made their senior debuts later in their career and there are plenty of others down through the decades. All of them did a job for Ireland, some more than others no matter how people rated them.
The three above made their way up through the lower leagues and got playing in the Premier League and with Ireland. Ireland has a history of late developers from the mid twenties on.
You just never know how a players careers can go, either up or down. Some players get lucky or unlucky with injuries, joining the right team at the right time or thing click for them late in their career.
I don't bother righting off players anymore, just wait and see how their career pans out. There are always surprise and players that come out of left field layer in the careers to be an option for us.
Szmodics  could will find himself in the Premier league  with Blackburn in the next season or two, or he could go on a goal scoring run in the Championship, then we would all be calling for his inclusion into the Irish Squad. Or he might not. 
Other than Cullen, who will be in the Premier League next season,  I don't think most of our midfield options are knocking it out of the park in the Championship or are playing in League One. All have shown bits of form like Molumby lately. So I wouldn't right off Szmodics just yet.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

They are just a few examples of players who made their senior debuts later in their career and there are plenty of others down through the decades. All of them did a job for Ireland, some more than others no matter how people rated them.
The three above made their way up through the lower leagues and got playing in the Premier League and with Ireland. Ireland has a history of late developers from the mid twenties on.
You just never know how a players careers can go, either up or down. Some players get lucky or unlucky with injuries, joining the right team at the right time or thing click for them late in their career.
I don't bother righting off players anymore, just wait and see how their career pans out. There are always surprise and players that come out of left field layer in the careers to be an option for us.
Szmodics  could will find himself in the Premier league  with Blackburn in the next season or two, or he could go on a goal scoring run in the Championship, then we would all be calling for his inclusion into the Irish Squad. Or he might not. 
Other than Cullen, who will be in the Premier League next season,  I don't think most of our midfield options are knocking it out of the park in the Championship or are playing in League One. All have shown bits of form like Molumby lately. So I wouldn't right off Szmodics just yet.

Agree with all of this, Wes, Didzy and Daryl Murphy are other lads who really only got going in their mid to late 20s. I think we all tend to look at the young lads in the hope they develop quickly and become PL quality in their early 20s, but there's plenty of evidence of players really only emerging on to the international stage much later and not just for Ireland either.
Idah Dream!
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 2:26pm
Says Goulash is his favourite dish and went to a stag in Budapest once, Kenny better get capping him before it ends in heartbreak. 
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Agree with all of this, Wes, Didzy and Daryl Murphy are other lads who really only got going in their mid to late 20s. I think we all tend to look at the young lads in the hope they develop quickly and become PL quality in their early 20s, but there's plenty of evidence of players really only emerging on to the international stage much later and not just for Ireland either.

Wes was playing Champions League football in his early 20s in fairness Wink
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 12:59pm
Good counter attack from Szmodics leads to a goal after John Egan was dispossessed up in the Blackburn box. He seems to be on a good run of form at the moment, not sure if it will be enough to get him a call up though.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 1:08pm
We dont need Szmodics when we have Conor Hourihane

Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Good counter attack from Szmodics leads to a goal after John Egan was dispossessed up in the Blackburn box. He seems to be on a good run of form at the moment, not sure if it will be enough to get him a call up though.
good game

should have had a goal, hit the bar

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 2:27pm
he was szenszational today

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 2:48pm
There is no excuse for Conor Hourihane and Jamie McGrath to be in the Irish squad ahead of him anyway
The only way is up
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 2:57pm
Played well, hit the crossbar and looked lively up against a top Championship defence.
Is hitting form at the right time so will be in Kenny's thoughts anyway.
I'd say he's an outsider for the squad but I agree he's ahead of Hourihane and McGrath.

Edited by Fozz - 04 Mar 2023 at 2:58pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Played well, hit the crossbar and looked lively up against a top Championship defence.
Is hitting form at the right time so will be in Kenny's thoughts anyway.
I'd say he's an outsider for the squad but I agree he's ahead of Hourihane and McGrath.
In good form, played well, still think he's a long shot, but he's making a case!
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2023 at 12:05pm
According to Lancashire Telegraph Szmodics had issues with getting his passport but that's been resolved and has finally received his passport.

Edited by J89 - 08 Mar 2023 at 12:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 47>
  Share Topic