You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sea swimming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Lakes can get very deep very quickly, and getting out is tricky because the sides tend to be very steep

I get that but if they can swim surely they would be ok?
Blessington Lakes are known to be very dangerous.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 7:17pm
unless it the creature from the black lagoon lakes per see should nt be that dangerous 

Having spent  a bit of time in Minnesota where you are within a stones throw of a lake no matter where you are in the state and that’s not counting the rivers I don’t recall that many drownings though open to correction maybe because boat  safety is taken seriously 

Edited by Newryrep - 25 Jul 2021 at 7:17pm
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 9:07pm
I'd consider myself a decent swimmer but will do some water safety courses in the future. Someone mentioned it before but the lack of knowledge or intentional choice to ignore things like tides is extremely dangerous. Went to go fishing off rocks in Howth yesterday but it was very choppy when I got there. But there were still some people fairly close to the water and waves crashing up around them.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 9:12pm

Lakes can get very deep very quickly, and getting out is tricky because the sides tend to be very steep

I jumped into a lake when we were out fishing in Cavan and it was like being sucked into the water. I literally panicked and couldn't believe what was happening. 

Lakes and rivers both very similar, the high salt content in sea water helps you float.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 9:32pm
Silly question time, but can you go swimming in any body of water?
For example could you swim in the Lagan/Liffey rivers?
What’s safer/cleaner to swim in a lake or the sea?

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 10:15pm
I used to swim in the Liffey near the m50 toll bridge growing up in Palmerstown. Over 15 years ago now but I assume you still can.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Basically yes...although with rivers you’d need more local knowledge as to the best/less dangerous spots.difficult to say about which is cleaner as some lakes are more stagnant than others in parts and some have higher algae numbers than others,whereas the sea has more crap like rubbish and sewage deposits in areas.certain beaches are far better than some so much of a muchness.....although seas,rivers and lakes should never be swam in after heavy rainfalls.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Blessington Lakes are known to be very dangerous.

Which is why swimming is banded there. Due to the undercurrent AFAIK.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Teenager airlifted to hospital and in serious condition after getting into difficulty swimming in a lake in Monaghan

Ffs ☹️

That kid has passed away ☹
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Teenager airlifted to hospital and in serious condition after getting into difficulty swimming in a lake in Monaghan

Ffs ☹️

That kid has passed away ☹

A 14-year-old boy who died after getting into difficulty swimming in a north Monaghan lake has been named locally.

Adam McCormick had been airlifted to Temple Street Children's Hospital following reports of a suspected drowning incident at Hollywood Lake, at around 4pm on Sunday.

He was pronounced dead at the Dublin hospital yesterday.

Cry

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 2:35pm
Absolute disaster Cry
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 3:21pm
Red flag down at Dollymount and people still out swimming on the Poolbeg side. Lifeguards on duty weren't asking people to get out so not sure if the red flag applies to that side but I'd assume it would? 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 4:37am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Basically yes...although with rivers you’d need more local knowledge as to the best/less dangerous spots.difficult to say about which is cleaner as some lakes are more stagnant than others in parts and some have higher algae numbers than others,whereas the sea has more crap like rubbish and sewage deposits in areas.certain beaches are far better than some so much of a muchness.....although seas,rivers and lakes should never be swam in after heavy rainfalls.

Why can't you swim after heavy rain?

I was on a boat trip in the medateranian a few years back and they dropped us off about 200m short of the short. I'd be alright at swimming in a pool but f**k me it was a struggle. Meanwhile the woman just floated in. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 8:47am
There is a deterioration in water quality after heavy rainfall. Possible pollution. I only became aware of this a few months ago.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 10:49am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

There is a deterioration in water quality after heavy rainfall. Possible pollution. I only became aware of this a few months ago.

Because of run off in the fields that the farmer has likely sprayed 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Because of run off in the fields that the farmer has likely sprayed 

That’s exactly it.  Big issue.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 5:41pm

Red flag down at Dollymount and people still out swimming on the Poolbeg side. Lifeguards on duty weren't asking people to get out so not sure if the red flag applies to that side but I'd assume it would? 

I didn't even realise that when I was there. Said hello to the lifeguards and all no bother before hopping in
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic