You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sea swimming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

How can you tell a sea swimmer , easy they will tell you they are when you say hello .

What if they are also Vegans?  What would they say first 
"Have you seen the special offer in the Happy Pear?"

I'm from and grew up in Greystones, the difference in it recently is unbelievable, and not in an overly good way, that shop and the yuppies that go to it are half the reason, I reckon. 
Went in once. Queue to get in, rude staff who overcharged us, full of gimps taking selfies on their food and the food looked lovely but was horribly bland

Clap

Edited by theheff1989 - 27 May 2021 at 5:26pm
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 6:29pm
Love an oul sea dip. Gives you a new lease of life and a great man for a hangover Clap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

How can you tell a sea swimmer , easy they will tell you they are when you say hello .

What if they are also Vegans?  What would they say first 
"Have you seen the special offer in the Happy Pear?"

I'm from and grew up in Greystones, the difference in it recently is unbelievable, and not in an overly good way, that shop and the yuppies that go to it are half the reason, I reckon. 
Went in once. Queue to get in, rude staff who overcharged us, full of gimps taking selfies on their food and the food looked lovely but was horribly bland

We used to get smoothies there as a bribe for going to mass - back when they were a big fad, never went after they changed it into a hippy dippy restaurant 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 6:41pm
totally agree with Murph.  Whatever happened to just going for a swim.  Now people have to tell the whole world how they went sea swimming and wear a dry robe.  

Grew up going in and out of the sea myself and just take it for granted.  The recent converts are the worst for going on about sea swimming.  

Edited by Baldrick - 27 May 2021 at 7:45pm
AKA pedantic kunt
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

totally agree with Murph.  Whatever happened to just going for a swim.  Now people have to tell the whole world how they went sea swimming and wear a dry robe.  

Grew up in the sea myself and just take it for granted.  The recent converts are the worst for going on about sea swimming.  
Explains why you’re a wet blanket so 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Baldrick<b> Baldrick wrote:

totally agree with Murph.
 Whatever happened to just going for a swim.  Now people have to tell the whole world how they went sea swimming and wear a dry robe.  

Grew up in the sea myself and just take it for granted.  The recent converts are the worst for going on about sea swimming.  

Now that's something you don't see very often Heart
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Explains why you’re a wet blanket so 

Thumbs Up
AKA pedantic kunt
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

Anyone on here do it? Mate of mine dragged me down a few weeks ago and I can't get enough of it now. Getting in the sea for 20-30 mins most days since. I just paddle around as oppose to any serious swimming mainly to get the cold shock to the body - it's meant to be excellent for your immune system Clap

Well your certainly starting at a nice time sea temperature wise.it’s become an all year thing now instead of the swimming season (June -September I think it is) although some of the nicer swims I’ve had have been in the winter mths when there’s nobody around.as has been posted on here it’s now become the in thing to do.it ranges from the dry robe,yuppie hippy gangs who dip/swim then stand around drinking a glass of wine or coco to the absolute dregs who bring radios with them and blast “some tunes” and say “let’s do this!” before they get in....where you meet either depends on what place you swim from.

hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 12:29am
I usually go in a few times a month between June and September, and on New Year's Day, but I haven't been in yet this year since the New Year's swim.
I barely lasted five minutes on New Year's Day - as soon as I got in, it was so cold, I was getting pains in my arm and I couldn't move my fingers!
If the weather improves I'll probably go in this weekend.
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 10:30am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

I usually go in a few times a month between June and September, and on New Year's Day, but I haven't been in yet this year since the New Year's swim.
I barely lasted five minutes on New Year's Day - as soon as I got in, it was so cold, I was getting pains in my arm and I couldn't move my fingers!

I definitely would have gotten out after 2 minutes the first day if it wasn't for my mate telling me to control my breathing and to relax. After 3 mins or so my body relaxed and I could have stayed in all day. I'm up to about 30 mins each dip now and feel fine in the water, takes a while for the body to warm back up though when I get out.

I'm not a 'Dry Rober' myself but if it gets people out in nature and being happy then so be it. People having problems with other people wearing dry robes and turning a sea swim in to a social event need to have a look at themselves
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 10:41am

I definitely would have gotten out after 2 minutes the first day if it wasn't for my mate telling me to control my breathing and to relax. After 3 mins or so my body relaxed and I could have stayed in all day. I'm up to about 30 mins each dip now and feel fine in the water, takes a while for the body to warm back up though when I get out.

I'm not a 'Dry Rober' myself but if it gets people out in nature and being happy then so be it. People having problems with other people wearing dry robes and turning a sea swim in to a social event need to have a look at themselves

Did somebody kick over your glass of prosecco or something Gaz???!!!
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 10:45am
LOL goys just wanna have fun chum

I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 10:47am

But what if you grew up in the sea Gaz, like Zoidberg above, do you then get to comment on people?? 
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 10:50am

But what if you grew up in the sea Gaz, like Zoidberg above, do you then get to comment on people?? 

LOL

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 11:01am

Of course you do, anyone can comment on anyone, it’s a free world 👍

As I said whatever happened to just going for a swim, rather than trying to bask in some sort of virtuous glory by labeling it sea swimming and telling the whole world how it changed your life. Far too much of a big deal made about normal sh*t nowadays that people have been doing for generations. Usually millennials and younger who are guilty of it too. 

Swimming is great we get it, the way the recent converts go on you would swear they have discovered this secret key to happiness.  Many are just followers and it will be some other trend in 12 months time that they are all over.  

Edited by Baldrick - 28 May 2021 at 11:04am
AKA pedantic kunt
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 11:08am
Folks,we have ourselves a new rivalry Clap
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 11:17am

Of course you do, anyone can comment on anyone, it’s a free world 👍

As I said whatever happened to just going for a swim, rather than trying to bask in some sort of virtuous glory by labeling it sea swimming and telling the whole world how it changed your life. Far too much of a big deal made about normal sh*t nowadays that people have been doing for generations. Usually millennials and younger who are guilty of it too. 

Swimming is great we get it, the way the recent converts go on you would swear they have discovered this secret key to happiness.  Many are just followers and it will be some other trend in 12 months time that they are all over.  

It’s literally what’s social media is about. 

Personally I grew up under the moon & was outraged by the amount of people on clontarf seafront the other night posting on Instagram, growing up under the moon I really didn’t see the fuss 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 11:17am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Folks,we have ourselves a new rivalry Clap

9fingers Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic