Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020 Squad & Match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Denmark 

I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers. 

When i said it first i was half joking but the more i think about it i think they could be. Decent team good goalie why not. They wont be beaten easily thats for sure.

Yah teams like Denmark and Switzerland probably just fall under that dark horse category imo but a favourable draw through the knockouts and anything can happen I suppose. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

What are we allowed call a dark horse?

Would you consider two of the top favourites in Portugal and England as dark horses? 

Sides like Turkey or Croatia would be a more accurate description of dark horses for this tournament imo. 

Portugal are 6th favourites at 9/1, were 8th favourites at 14/1 before all the squad announcements came out.

They are not the top favourites. As explained before it's pretty unlikely they're winning their group therefore having to goto Wembley to play England or potentially Seville to play Belgium, with the bookies giving Germany almost equal odds of 7/1 which basically the bookies are saying if you don't top Group F you're getting a rough ride.

Irrespective of their potential knock out path, It's insane to describe one of the strongest teams in Europe as dark horses to win it, let alone them being the current European champions!! LOL

nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Bellingham is not a defensive midfielder, he’s played as a number 8 and in the attacking positions for Dortmund but usually they like to have a proper defensive midfielder alongside him in Dahoud or Delaney.

If England had any sort of ambition he would start in the midfield alongside one of Rice/Henderson/Phillips.

He's played as a defensive midfielder for England though, I would've thought he was looking for Henderson to not make it to get a spot, albeit the extra three men will probably see him in.

Have money on Foden, Shaw, Saka and Johnstone to make the squad, first two are guaranteed, Johnstone should get in, worried about Saka. 

I done a few bets to make the squad too. Done them about 6 weeks ago prior to the increase in squad numbers from 23 to 26! Bookies prob won’t pay out, couldn’t get a definitive answer from them on it ffs.

They'll have to pay out I'd imagine! Might get a rule 4 type thing were the odds aren't paid out the same, I'd be sick of they just voided them.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 9:58pm

Would you consider two of the top favourites in Portugal and England as dark horses? 

Sides like Turkey or Croatia would be a more accurate description of dark horses for this tournament imo. 

Portugal are 6th favourites at 9/1, were 8th favourites at 14/1 before all the squad announcements came out.

They are not the top favourites. As explained before it's pretty unlikely they're winning their group therefore having to goto Wembley to play England or potentially Seville to play Belgium, with the bookies giving Germany almost equal odds of 7/1 which basically the bookies are saying if you don't top Group F you're getting a rough ride.

Irrespective of their potential knock out path, It's insane to describe one of the strongest teams in Europe as dark horses to win it, let alone them being the current European champions!LOL

And at the time they were being compared to Greece as poor champions now the hype machine is in full effect because of the squad they have since and deservedly so, it's a great squad! :) 

I think it's fair to call them dark horses, it's hard not to see France in the final, then it becomes a case of against who - If Croatia manage to beat England that 2nd spot in group F suddenly becomes alot easier although not as easy as finishing 1st!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 10:05pm

Irrespective of their potential knock out path, It's insane to describe one of the strongest teams in Europe as dark horses to win it, let alone them being the current European champions!LOL

And at the time they were being compared to Greece as poor champions now the hype machine is in full effect because of the squad they have since and deservedly so, it's a great squad! :) 

I think it's fair to call them dark horses, it's hard not to see France in the final, then it becomes a case of against who - If Croatia manage to beat England that 2nd spot in group F suddenly becomes alot easier although not as easy as finishing 1st!

But everybody recognised Greece's achievement as being a one off whereas Portugal have always been a a traditionally stronger side in major tournaments. 

It's simply ridiculous calling them dark horses for a trophy that they currently hold. LOL

If anything their squad is arguably stronger than it was in 2016. 
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Shockingly poor Spain squad.

Havent looked at groups and possible knock pairings but cant see beyond France and Portugal. Belgium bottle it in semis as usual. Germans will do ok. England dark horses.

There’s always a Turkey/Romania/Bulgaria shock team.
England are second favs.
Thats what I mean, theyre usually favourites LOL
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 6:31am
In 2016 Portugal had the best player in the world who had another 50+goal season.
They would have been one of the favs to win it, around top 6-8.

Just checked, Ronnie was the favourite for the top goal scorer.

Portugal were 20-1 to win it.

Greece were 150/1 to win Euro 2004. 

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 25 May 2021 at 7:11am

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 8:09am
And? Your point is exactly? Doesn’t change the fact they were dreadful all tournament long qualifying from the groups with 3 draws ffs.

No wonder Ronnie got injured in the final all that carrying he did, even a mule would of broken down.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 8:37am
Portugal for me. They really have a good crop of talented players at the moment and think they will click it together this summer. They've also won 2 out of the last 3 tournaments with a weaker squad than they have now (though Ronaldo not as good)

Edited by t_rAndy - 25 May 2021 at 8:38am
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 10:15am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Laporte a huge coup for Spain. How the lad never got a French cap is madness. Super player.

Yeah odd one alright especially when you look at his direct competition over the last 6 years

Aymeric Laporte: the Lenny Henry of football.

i.e. he's not f**king French anymore...

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Does Eric Dier still make the England squad?
If so, how?

Not in the provisional squad 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 1:19pm
Goalkeepers:
Dean Henderson, Sam Johnstone, Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale

Defenders :
Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Conor Coady, Ben Godfrey, Reece James, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ben White

Midfielders :
Jude Bellingham, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Mason Mount, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse

Forwards :
Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Mason Greenwood, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Ollie Watkins

33 man squad annouced by England

7 to be dropped?

Either Ramsdale or Johnstone, Godfrey, White, Saka, One of James, Trippier, Walker (unless Walker plays more as CB) or Alexander Arnold, Rashford or Greenwood , the last will depend on fitness of Maguire/Phillips/Henderson you'd imagine

Edited by lassassinblanc - 25 May 2021 at 1:23pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

In 2016 Portugal had the best player in the world who had another 50+goal season.
They would have been one of the favs to win it, around top 6-8.

Just checked, Ronnie was the favourite for the top goal scorer.

Portugal were 20-1 to win it.

Greece were 150/1 to win Euro 2004. 

Were the 20/1? I backed them to win it but think I only got 16/1 for them.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Goalkeepers:
Dean Henderson, Sam Johnstone, Jordan Pickford, Aaron Ramsdale

Defenders :
Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Conor Coady, Ben Godfrey, Reece James, Harry Maguire, Tyrone Mings, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, Ben White

Midfielders :
Jude Bellingham, Jordan Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Mason Mount, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse

Forwards :
Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Mason Greenwood, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Ollie Watkins

33 man squad annouced by England

7 to be dropped?

Either Ramsdale or Johnstone, Godfrey, White, Saka, One of James, Trippier, Walker (unless Walker plays more as CB) or Alexander Arnold, Rashford or Greenwood , the last will depend on fitness of Maguire/Phillips/Henderson you'd imagine
Think Terrence Trent of West Derby will miss out....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 1:39pm
One interesting one is lack of Bamford even though he was the highest scoring English player in PL after Kane this season.

If I was Kenny I'd be picking up the phone 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 1:55pm
Not a chance Greenwood misses out IMO. If I had to go for one between Greenwood and Rashford at this moment I'd go for Greenwood
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Not a chance Greenwood misses out IMO. If I had to go for one between Greenwood and Rashford at this moment I'd go for Greenwood

I reckon Greenwood will miss out but he really shouldn’t, second best option after Sancho for that right wing slot! If I was England manager I wouldn’t bring Grealish, they have plenty of cover on the left with Rashford, Sterling and Foden.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 2:43pm
Ramsdale was the worst keeper in the premier league this season i thought, and that’s not just because he was playing for the worst team 

I’d imagine him, White, Godfrey will miss out plus four others 

One of the right backs will be cut. Be surprised if it wasn’t Trent given how Southgate seems to not rate him 

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 25 May 2021 at 2:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 10>
  Share Topic