You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020 Squad & Match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Surprised with the Spain squad. I’d have Ramos, Saul, Canales and Aspas in the squad.

There is my answer Embarrassed
It would damage this forums' reputation
Sponsored Links

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Spain's squad causing the biggest upset - Calling up Laporte although he recently declared for France, and also they called up 0 Real Madrid players, Sergio Ramos included.

That appears very strange. Other than Ramos who is injured, are there any really obvious Madrid players that were overlooked? 

Unless they're injured would have expected maybe Nacho and Dani Carvajal, Asensio another one who has been in and around the Spain squad last few years when fit
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

How can Portugal be dark horses? They’re one of the favs. They’re the reigning champions and they won the Nations League.

Surprised with the Spain squad. I’d have Ramos, Saul, Canales and Aspas in the squad.

14/1 a month ago!
Me and Brendan backed them, 14/1 isn't exactly favourites. But thanks for pointing out we picked a banger of a price  Cool

Can still get them at 9's so not exactly one of the favourites. They are in a group with Germany and France hence the long odds.

The bookies also suggest they're not getting out the groups with France and Germany being 1/12 and 1/8 with Portugal only 2/7 - Long odds for a team of the description you gave!
A win against Hungary may be enough for the other 3 to get out of the group.

Or 3 draws as shown by Portugal in 2016

Agree though it's a tough group and it's probably a reason why they're lower odds then they should be.

Portugal do have a very good squad though they're not a one man team in Ronaldo.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:52pm

Spain's squad causing the biggest upset - Calling up Laporte although he recently declared for France, and also they called up 0 Real Madrid players, Sergio Ramos included.

That appears very strange. Other than Ramos who is injured, are there any really obvious Madrid players that were overlooked? 

The only player would be Isco in my opinion but he is been over looked by Zidane. Such a waste of a talent though. Should not only be in the Spain squad but he should be a vital player for them. Asensio and Vazquez are the other contenders but Zidane isn't really playing them much either.

Edited by Dugs - 24 May 2021 at 2:56pm
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 3:14pm
Be interesting to see the England squad tomorrow, they do have a good squad and with Kane probably one the best strikers in the World.

I think the Last 16 match been moved to London may have some ramifications for them though, they'd be playing at home against either Germany,France or Portugal , none of which you'd think would be too phased with having to play there and majority of the pressure will be on England which they haven't really coped with over the last couple of tournaments when the going gets tough.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

The only player would be Isco in my opinion but he is been over looked by Zidane. Such a waste of a talent though. Should not only be in the Spain squad but he should be a vital player for them. Asensio and Vazquez are the other contenders but Zidane isn't really playing them much either.

Forgot all about Isco, suppose it just shows how much of bad season he's had a Real Madrid as you say Zidane hasn't played him much this season
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Be interesting to see the England squad tomorrow, they do have a good squad and with Kane probably one the best strikers in the World.

I think the Last 16 match been moved to London may have some ramifications for them though, they'd be playing at home against either Germany,France or Portugal , none of which you'd think would be too phased with having to play there and majority of the pressure will be on England which they haven't really coped with over the last couple of tournaments when the going gets tough.

They have so many options in attack -

Kane , Rashford , Greenwood, Sancho , Sterling, Bellingham, Foden, Grealish , Calvin Lewin , Lingard etc and I’m sure I’m missing a few.

Tough draw tho 

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 3:30pm
England have a fantastic squad. But they also have Gareth Southgate as their manager which rules them out.

A few of us said it in the Euro 2020 Venue's thread in the main ROI section, but they're overdue a massive cockup at the back;

Pickford's had a dreadful 18 months or so
Henderson doesn't play regularly and he was awful against Liverpool 
Pope's out with surgery
Johnstone's had a few howlers recently

Their GK coach will be the most paranoid and anxious man in the country
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Kane , Rashford , Greenwood, Sancho , Sterling, Bellingham, Foden, Grealish , Calvin Lewin , Lingard etc and I’m sure I’m missing a few.

Tough draw tho 

Bellingham not more a central defensive midfielder? Would think that's the role he'd be playing for them, but has a few ahead of him there. 
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 3:56pm
Laporte a huge coup for Spain. How the lad never got a French cap is madness. Super player.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Jose Fonte still going. Only debuted for them at 31. Some career twilight and just won Ligue 1.

HeartHeartHeart
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Tough draw tho 

Bellingham not more a central defensive midfielder? Would think that's the role he'd be playing for them, but has a few ahead of him there. 
Correct
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 4:03pm
Bellingham is not a defensive midfielder, he’s played as a number 8 and in the attacking positions for Dortmund but usually they like to have a proper defensive midfielder alongside him in Dahoud or Delaney.

If England had any sort of ambition he would start in the midfield alongside one of Rice/Henderson/Phillips.

Edited by BrendanD88 - 24 May 2021 at 4:07pm
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 4:17pm

England have a fantastic squad. But they also have Gareth Southgate as their manager which rules them out.

A few of us said it in the Euro 2020 Venue's thread in the main ROI section, but they're overdue a massive cockup at the back;

Pope's out with surgery

Hold up were you not singing Southgate's praises not too long ago ....(Might have been Green Devil tbh)
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 4:21pm
Dictionary
noun
  1. a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds.

That's the previous holders summed up.

Edited by darmack - 24 May 2021 at 4:25pm
The dark side.. And the light
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Laporte a huge coup for Spain. How the lad never got a French cap is madness. Super player.

Yeah odd one alright especially when you look at his direct competition over the last 6 years

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

Never realised how unfit Ramos was
Only featured 5 times this season for Real apparently

You get that info from the Daily Record?

Fake news.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 5:23pm

Pope's out with surgery

Hold up were you not singing Southgate's praises not too long ago ....(Might have been Green Devil tbh)

It definitely wasn't me. I think he's absolutely useless. Imo England are a decent manager and a stable GK away from winning big things.

If Pickford stopped doing eratic things by trying to be the next Lloris or Neuer with his T-rex arms it's a massive difference.

Edited by coyne - 24 May 2021 at 5:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic