You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020 Squad & Match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Euro 2020 Squad & Match thread
    Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:26pm
Personally have Portugal as the dark horses to win the tournament if they get out their group, their squad is 1 CB and 1 holding midfielder short of a world class squad.

Think Belgium surprised everyone by calling up absolutely zero full backs in their squad

Spain's squad causing the biggest upset - Calling up Laporte although he recently declared for France, and also they called up 0 Real Madrid players, Sergio Ramos included.

I don't think the Scotland squad is terrible at all, Billy Gilmour and Turnbull in centre midfield could be a surprise.

Who's everyone's favourites to win this?
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:33pm
Portugal

Not sure what any manager sees in Eric Garcia 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:36pm
Hard to see past Portugal and France (Same group so likely to meet again in the final). Germans will sneak into the last 16 as one of the 3rd place teams. Which possibly means playing England in Wembley 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 24 May 2021 at 12:37pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:37pm
Jose Fonte still going. Only debuted for them at 31. Some career twilight and just won Ligue 1.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:46pm
France will be looking to avenge that 2016 final defeat.
After winning the World Cup they will be full of confidence. 

For me they will be the ones to beat.

Portugal and England have good squads with players in form. 

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 12:54pm
Sergio Ramos left out of Spanish squad. Has been struggling with injuries. Not the greatest looking squad they have ever had.
I love beer gardens
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:07pm
Billy Gilmour won’t start for Scotland. 
Portugal look very strong
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:18pm
I think the dark horses for me will be Italy, a fairly straightforward group with Turkey,Wales and Switzerland, would expect them to finish top of that especially since they'll play all their games in Rome. A Good mix of experience and youth in their squad too.

Spain squad is very surprising would have expected at least 1 Real Madrid player must be a first?

In terms of Belgium, I don't think it was much of a surprise they have no fullbacks (though I'd argue Meunier and Castagne can play further back if required ) as they've pretty much played a 3-4-3 for the last few years.

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:24pm
How can Portugal be dark horses? They’re one of the favs. They’re the reigning champions and they won the Nations League.

Surprised with the Spain squad. I’d have Ramos, Saul, Canales and Aspas in the squad.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:29pm
Ya i like the look of Italy. Have a good crop of players there. Immobile Belotti Insigne all very capable up top wjo can create and score. I can see them doing well.
I love beer gardens
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

How can Portugal be dark horses? They’re one of the favs. They’re the reigning champions and they won the Nations League.

Surprised with the Spain squad. I’d have Ramos, Saul, Canales and Aspas in the squad.

Portugal dark horses another Coyner special LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:40pm

14/1 a month ago!
Me and Brendan backed them, 14/1 isn't exactly favourites. But thanks for pointing out we picked a banger of a price  Cool

Can still get them at 9's so not exactly one of the favourites. They are in a group with Germany and France hence the long odds.

The bookies also suggest they're not getting out the groups with France and Germany being 1/12 and 1/8 with Portugal only 2/7 - Long odds for a team of the description you gave!

Edited by coyne - 24 May 2021 at 1:51pm
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:41pm
Never realised how unfit Ramos was
Only featured 5 times this season for Real apparently

Edited by tonyjaa - 24 May 2021 at 1:41pm
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

14/1 a month ago!
Me and Brendan backed them, 14/1 isn't exactly favourites. But thanks for pointing out we picked a banger of a price  Cool

Can still get them at 9's so not exactly one of the favourites. They are in a group with Germany and France hence the long odds.

The bookies also suggest they're not getting out the groups with France and Germany being 1/12 and 1/8 with Portugal only 2/7 - Long odds for a team of the description you gave!

That implies a 77.8% chance they'll get out of the group. 
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:01pm
Its a very open tournament with any from 6 to 7 teams (Bel, Por, Ger, Fra, Spa, Ita, Eng) with semis as a realistic target and another group of 4 or 5 (Cro, Den, Tur, Swi) who would fancy themselves to get to the quarters. I've probably forgotten a couple of teams there... yeah Poland and Netherlands..

It could be a cracker of a tournament if the players aren't too knackered from the condensed season.

An outsider for a semi bet...Turkey.. but they could also loose all 3 games.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

14/1 a month ago!

That implies a 77.8% chance they'll get out of the group. 

Then you look at the RO16 then the 14/1 price tag makes sense - Finishing 2nd puts you against England at Wembley, finishing best of the 3rd's potentially puts you against Belgium.
It's a horrible route to the final I must say LOL

Whoever finishes top of the group (likely France) will get a much easier ride through the knockouts so the odds  for the overall winners are accurate I'd say.

Edited by coyne - 24 May 2021 at 2:10pm
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:01pm

Spain's squad causing the biggest upset - Calling up Laporte although he recently declared for France, and also they called up 0 Real Madrid players, Sergio Ramos included.

That appears very strange. Other than Ramos who is injured, are there any really obvious Madrid players that were overlooked? 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2021 at 2:02pm

14/1 a month ago!

A win against Hungary may be enough for the other 3 to get out of the group.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic