You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland u19s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 47>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 2:12pm
Seems the Elite Round Qualifier games will be played at Ferrycarrig Park which suits me perfectly, although scheduling the first game for 330 in Wexford when there's a senior international @ 745 in Dublin is a bit short sighted (I'd have gone to both). As it is, I'll still catch the other 2 games (Saturday 25th & Tuesday 28th March). Looking forward to it. To anyone familiar with attending U19 games, do ye think there will be a need to book in advance or are you safe enough to just turn up and pay on the day!
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 2:17pm
Ah I'd say yer good to just pay at the gate.
Never seems to be a crowd at these matches on the few occasions we see them televised.

Now, will they be televised for us who can't get there?!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2023 at 2:53pm
If they're played at a LOI ground they've no excuse not to stream it.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 10:21am
First match is next Wednesday, so we may get a squad announcement today or tomorrow.
Will keep an eye on the socials!
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:22am
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:23am
Vata, Zefi, Moore and one of O'Mahony or Umeh makes for a very strong front 4 at that level. In fact there's no position that stands out as being a bit weak, other than maybe GK?
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:24am

Very strong squad.
Should get streams for these, seeing as we're hosts.

Get to Wexford for the matches if you can!
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Very strong squad.

Available on LOITV
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:42am
Looking at our CB options at this age group I wouldn’t envy the manager trying to pick CBs for the senior squad in 5/6 years time. Heffernan not in that squad alone and tbh that’s completely on merit if you look who’s ahead of him. 

Loads of small countries are really going to struggle for good CBs down the line. Hard to produce them with the way football has gone. We won’t be in that situation. 

Edited by kevin100 - 15 Mar 2023 at 11:45am
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:48am
Wonder why we name such a small squad?
20 players for three matches with every chance of suspensions and injuries.
I assume there's a standby list (a keeper, for a start!) but you would think bringing 23+ would make more sense...getting more lads involved.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:51am
Think you can only name 20 players and once the games start not sure if you can call up replacements. Last season the U19s were hit hard with injuries and not sure we called anyone up as replacements.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:53am
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:56am
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Very strong squad.

Available on LOITV

Looks a strong squad - lot of firepower. 
6 players based in Ireland, 1 in Scotland, 9 in England & 4 in Italy.
13 played LOI academy football.
Make it 15 born in Ireland, 5 outside.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:56am
That’s a strong squad with a good mix of home-based and players playing abroad.

You’d imagine those playing at home will move to another league over the next 3 or 4 years too.

Edited by The Huntacha - 15 Mar 2023 at 11:57am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 11:58am
Good squad, interesting that half of them will be underage again next year. Possibly we might struggle a bit physically because of this, but home advantage and the absence of a big hitter in the group (are we the big hitter at Under 17 and Under 19 these days?!) means we should still have a fighting chance of qualification.

And great to see Sean Moore in of course - I think it was fairly clear after his gesture to the Glentoran fans which way that one was going but good to have it confirmed all the same.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

... (are we the big hitter at Under 17 and Under 19 these days?!) 

I think we are!
Both the 17's and 19's in the UEFA top-10 seedings.
17's may even rise a spot or two after their recent exploits.

This is a winnable group.  Very excited for the games and the attacking talent on show should bring the folks out to Wexford to see them.

Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 3:26pm

Very strong squad.

Best XI is probably:

O'Mahoney

Vata-----Zefi-----Umeh

McJannet---Ferizaj

Ryan----Grehan---Curtis---Abankwah

Byrne

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 3:41pm
Switch Vata and Zefi around. Never liked when Vata plays out wide and always looked better when playing as the ten. Wouldn't be surprised if Moore goes straight in at RW and having himself and Zefi as the wide players who like to cut inside on their stronger foot.

Similar it's probably gonna be Abankwah at CB with Curtis playing RB.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 47>
  Share Topic