Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland u19s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 47>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:11am
Seems to be mostly made up of English born players, a good chance to take a look at them and see if they can be useful I suppose.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:13am
Quite a lot here I hadn’t heard of before, English born most of them. I was aware of O’Neill but likewise didn’t know he was eligible, if indeed he is. If one or two gems should emerge from this group, well done to whoever unearthed them.

Edited by Green Cockade - 29 Jan 2023 at 11:14am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:16am
When the draw was made this seemed like a really good opportunity for the Under 19s to make another Euros finals, and it still is, but I wonder if a lot of the better players at this age group will end up stepping up to the 21s as soon as this March. The likes of Vata, Curtis, Zefi and Ferizaj might all be in Jim Crawford's mind for a call-up, so a good few of these lads could end up being needed to fill the spaces.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:25am
Would be foolish to call up the U19s players this March. It's likely gonna be a training camp with another training camp in early June which will have no impact on the U19s if they make the finals.

You've got whatever 2002 players from the last campaign and last season's U19s that can make up March's squad before adding in the 2004 and whatever 2005 players stand out from this campaign in June.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:54am
Put our best U19 team out for these games in March and don't worry about promotions to the 21's just yet.
This Elite group is winnable, and that should be our aim as a top-10 seed at this age-group.
I'd say Vatta would have been in this but for the fact he's out with a niggle.
Curtis, Ferizaj and Zefi not UK-based so that explains those.

Now, can we get TV coverage of our three matches in March please?!

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:59am
Literally calling up every sh*te English player with an Irish granny who has a pulse. Farsley Celtic. LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Quite a lot here I hadn’t heard of before, English born most of them. I was aware of O’Neill but likewise didn’t know he was eligible, if indeed he is. If one or two gems should emerge from this group, well done to whoever unearthed them.
Going by Taylor Gardner-Hickman and a few other examples, he's probably called up without either party knowing whether he's eligible or not.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Put our best U19 team out for these games in March and don't worry about promotions to the 21's just yet.
This Elite group is winnable, and that should be our aim as a top-10 seed at this age-group.
I'd say Vatta would have been in this but for the fact he's out with a niggle.
Curtis, Ferizaj and Zefi not UK-based so that explains those.

Now, can we get TV coverage of our three matches in March please?!

There surely will as we're hosting the games and if it's on in LOI stadiums they'll have the set up there from streaming their own games.

Edited by J89 - 29 Jan 2023 at 12:04pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 12:06pm
I presume this camp is to look at fringe players and new callups as there are loads of UK based players missing also - Aaron Maguire, Alex Murphy, Sean Grehan, David Okagbue, John Clarke, Ed McJannet, Cian Coleman, Ronnie McGrath, Billy Brooks and Luke Pearce are all UK players who have been involved at this level before but aren't in this group. 

Then there's Vata, Zefi, Curtis and Ferizaj as mentioned, but also the likes of John Ryan, Franco Umeh and James Abankwah at Udinese as well. Should be a competitive squad selection for March even if a couple are lost to the 21s.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Literally calling up every sh*te English player with an Irish granny who has a pulse. Farsley Celtic. LOL

Why wouldn’t you! Think it’s a great idea scorched earth! The rules allow it Tom Mohan didn’t make the rules! 

Plenty other countries do this it with success scorched earth call up anyone with a 26th cousin to the country in question! Jamaica,Ghana and close to home Wales! 

As for this its a training camp not a lifelong commitment! 

Edited by kevin100 - 29 Jan 2023 at 12:08pm
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 12:08pm

Yes. Couldn’t be too financially strapped to be wasting money on some of those boys.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Why wouldn’t you! Think it’s a great idea scorched earth! The rules allow it Tom Mohan didn’t make the rules! 

Plenty other countries do this it with success scorched earth call up anyone with a 26th cousin to the country in question! Jamaica,Ghana and close to home Wales! It’s a training camp not a lifelong commitment! 
Most of these lads will end up not being good enough for the Montserrat national team let alone our senior team. Quality over quantity. Having listened to Gerard Lyttle and others in the NI underage setup, I'd personally be more preoccupied with encouraging three or four very talented young lads who are presently with NI than calling up Farsley Celtic players, but that's just me. The vast majority of the lads called up are never going to be in a position to turn Ireland down so it comes across to me as an utterly pointless exercise.
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 12:12pm
Don’t write anyone off, so what if they on loan to Farsley Celtic at that age, Dara O’Shea had loan to Hereford at similar age and was making of him especially there cup run and higher profile games. Better than playing academy football 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 12:13pm
Dara O'Shea played for Hereford when he was in the Under 19 age group. He was playing one level below where Farsley Celtic are now. Two years later he was in the Premier League. Obviously most players at that level don't make that jump but it does happen.

Edit - Paddy Madden beat me to it with that point!

Edited by You Tell Me - 29 Jan 2023 at 12:14pm
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I presume this camp is to look at fringe players and new callups as there are loads of UK based players missing also - Aaron Maguire, Alex Murphy, Sean Grehan, David Okagbue, John Clarke, Ed McJannet, Cian Coleman, Ronnie McGrath, Billy Brooks and Luke Pearce are all UK players who have been involved at this level before but aren't in this group. 

Then there's Vata, Zefi, Curtis and Ferizaj as mentioned, but also the likes of John Ryan, Franco Umeh and James Abankwah at Udinese as well. Should be a competitive squad selection for March even if a couple are lost to the 21s.

Isn't there normally a couple of friendlies played in February so the camp could be a chance for someone to force their way into the friendly game or called up if players aren't released by their clubs.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 12:22pm

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Plenty other countries do this it with success scorched earth call up anyone with a 26th cousin to the country in question! Jamaica,Ghana and close to home Wales! It’s a training camp not a lifelong commitment! 
Most of these lads will end up not being good enough for the Montserrat national team let alone our senior team. Quality over quantity. Having listened to Gerard Lyttle and others in the NI underage setup, I'd personally be more preoccupied with encouraging three or four very talented young lads who are presently with NI than calling up Farsley Celtic players, but that's just me. The vast majority of the lads called up are never going to be in a position to turn Ireland down so it comes across to me as an utterly pointless exercise.

I’m well aware most won’t be good enough for Farsley Celtic! This is a training camp where you are just introducing them! That’s all not a lifetime commitment! 

Get them introduced to the set up and if one or two of these boys end up being top flight footballers or even Championship footballers that can be called up then it’s a success! 
Most players at underage level never come up to contending for a place in the Irish senior team anyways!

NI thing is interesting! Id be pursueing them too as we see with Conor Bradley you can’t blink and the North have made their move!  

Edited by kevin100 - 29 Jan 2023 at 12:22pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Yeah, it's also not really surprising that so many of the players are English born in a UK based camp seeing as there are far less Irish born lads that age playing in the UK now due to Brexit restrictions. Good chance to unearth a few decent players.
We're decent enough..
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by PaddyMaddenIsCounty! PaddyMaddenIsCounty! wrote:

Don’t write anyone off, so what if they on loan to Farsley Celtic at that age, Dara O’Shea had loan to Hereford at similar age and was making of him especially there cup run and higher profile games. Better than playing academy football 

Owen Mason has been involved in underage squads for the last few years. He's a giant of a keeper for such a young lad and is quite highly rated within both the FAI underage and Mansfield set ups. His call up is the least surprising of any of the goalkeepers.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 47>
  Share Topic