You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Back to Barrytown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back to Barrytown
    Posted: 17 May 2021 at 12:52am
Enjoyed that slice of nostalgia earlier..get the sense that Roddy was a little pissed off that the  film didnt fully represent his way of thinking. He more or less admitted that he had issues with a number of the scenes where his co screenwriters went a bit too far on the auld oirishness...

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 17 May 2021 at 12:52am
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:54am
Yeah good show alright. The pints in Cleary's had me lickin my lips. 

I am sure i am not alone on this but Robert Arkins cuts a sad figure. I always felt he was destined for more.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:00am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Yeah good show alright. The pints in Cleary's had me lickin my lips. 

I am sure i am not alone on this but Robert Arkins cuts a sad figure. I always felt he was destined for more.

Yeah agree McG.  I think Glen Hansard was one of the few who knew this was just a temporary thing and did put all his hopes into it.  It didn’t go into it but I think he cut short the touring in the US to work with the Frames.  Wise move. 
AKA pedantic kunt
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 10:52am
The Commitments is one of the best things to ever come out of this country, when you consider a lot of the main cast wernt even actors, it still stands up today. You did get a bit of a sense from Roddy that he wasn't 100% happy with how the film turned out. 

In other news, your one who plays Imelda must be pushing her 60s at this stage, but still 😍 Has a bit of a Debbie Harry vibe off her 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:06am
Mad to think Andrew Strong was only 16 making it
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:08am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

The Commitments is one of the best things to ever come out of this country, when you consider a lot of the main cast wernt even actors, it still stands up today. You did get a bit of a sense from Roddy that he wasn't 100% happy with how the film turned out. 

In other news, your one who plays Imelda must be pushing her 60s at this stage, but still 😍 Has a bit of a Debbie Harry vibe off her 
She was in the same class in school as my sister, so would put her about 52/53.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 12:22pm
52 according to wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angeline_Ball

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 12:47pm
I actually thought that she didnt look great at all. Ermm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 1:41pm
It always surprises me that The Commitments is the oldest of the trilogy, I suppose given The Van is set in 1990 and The Snapper just looks older.

Colm Meaney had some cracking lines in it; "I'd say U2 are sh*tting themselves" LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Mad to think Andrew Strong was only 16 making it

Mental isnt it LOL

Always felt your one Natalie was a bit underrated compared to Imelda Quirke.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

It always surprises me that The Commitments is the oldest of the trilogy, I suppose given The Van is set in 1990 and The Snapper just looks older.

Colm Meaney had some cracking lines in it; "I'd say U2 are sh*tting themselves" LOL

That's f**kin blasphemy Elvis wasn't a cajun LOL

Edited by Denis Irwin - 17 May 2021 at 2:08pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 11:39pm
On RTE again now 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 2:12pm
Saw it last night thought it was class. Nice to see Jimmy Rabbitt again. Did his acting career never take off or did he just not want to continue it. He seems so timid in real life. Was he suggesting that Angeline Ball didnt want to have anything to do with a sequel at the end?! I always assumed Roddy wrote the script. Didnt realise the two comedy writers from the UK had a large input. Roddy wasn't completely happy as we seen. He was very honest. So much goes into making a movie...im always amazed how they pull ot all togethet. Looking forwatd to the other episodes.
I love beer gardens
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic