You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Azerbaijan Away - Saturday 9th October 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 23>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 3:28pm
€200 ATM limit on Revolut for those of us on the free account anyway.
Sponsored Links

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by davereilly davereilly wrote:

For people already there, can you pay by card in most places or do we need to bring cash?
Got this from someone there already, cards are generally accepted but cash is king. One hotel, so id imagine others are too, are adding 18% to the room total if you pay by card.

Personally, ive brought a few € to exchange.
There's 18% Vat, perhaps the VAT wasn't included in the price people were quoted?
From what I was told, those that were on the receiving end, the vat was included on their total on booking.com.
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

first of three flights about to commence.. long day ahead but feck it choo choo

So jealous - enjoy.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 11:34pm
I heard this 24 hour bad isn’t open 24hours. It’s open until 24hours(12) insteadDeadLOLLOL
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 4:07am
Baku will accept cash or card from what I recall.

Whereabouts is everyone based...Old Town?
Any specific pubs or local watering hole?
Arriving in today after a 2.5hr flight so will be thirsty!!
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 5:33am
Here less than 3 hours… Have done all the sightseeing I need. The taxi man has brought me around city and again looking for open bars. He did find one and then didn’t fancy it after I finished me pint and now we’re on the road againConfused
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 7:33am
Flying out tomorrow morning. Nothing beats the excitement of an away trip Cool
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:46pm
Safe journey to everyone going. 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 2:12pm
Anyone get their tickets emailed yet? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

No nothing yet here, not like them to leave things to last min... 
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

No nothing yet here, not like them to leave things to last min... 

Was wondering that myself. They said they'd email digital one to me for free
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 2:54pm
#walking tour of Baku!

It's free, but you have to book a spot in advance.  Saturday 11:00am is the one.

Edited by newrynyuk - 07 Oct 2021 at 2:58pm
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 6:34pm
Azerbaijan is relatively safe to visit but you should watch out for both petty and violent crime.

In Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan, you should expect crime like in many cities around the world, but the problem here is that petty crime made way for more violent types of crime, some of them involving foreigners.

Surprisingly, male tourists are more targeted than female ones and these attacks occur with groups of men just approaching and attacking unsuspecting tourists.

These crimes happen more during the winter months.

So avoid drinking and roaming around the tourist frequented areas such as Fountain Square and the Maiden’s Tower, and know that in case something happens, you can’t really rely on the police.

Expect corruption in this country – the police will expect you to pay if you want anything from them. Avoid giving them any bribe.

If you are traveling outside of the city, do it during the daytime.

The roads are filled with potholes and bumps and driving at night is advised against.

Apart from the potholes, drivers in Azerbaijan often drive with dimly lit cars, so accidents are common.

Keep in mind that you might easily get scammed or attacked in this country, especially if you go drinking to a tourist bar.

One of the scams involves a woman approaching you for a drink and leaving you an astronomically high tab.

If you refuse to pay, a group of men approach you and demand you do, threatening to beat you up.

Azerbaijan is filled with scammers so be very careful.LOLLOLLOL

FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
Finn67 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finn67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

Azerbaijan is relatively safe to visit but you should watch out for both petty and violent crime.

In Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan, you should expect crime like in many cities around the world, but the problem here is that petty crime made way for more violent types of crime, some of them involving foreigners.

Surprisingly, male tourists are more targeted than female ones and these attacks occur with groups of men just approaching and attacking unsuspecting tourists.

These crimes happen more during the winter months.

So avoid drinking and roaming around the tourist frequented areas such as Fountain Square and the Maiden’s Tower, and know that in case something happens, you can’t really rely on the police.

Expect corruption in this country – the police will expect you to pay if you want anything from them. Avoid giving them any bribe.

If you are traveling outside of the city, do it during the daytime.

The roads are filled with potholes and bumps and driving at night is advised against.

Apart from the potholes, drivers in Azerbaijan often drive with dimly lit cars, so accidents are common.

Keep in mind that you might easily get scammed or attacked in this country, especially if you go drinking to a tourist bar.

One of the scams involves a woman approaching you for a drink and leaving you an astronomically high tab.

If you refuse to pay, a group of men approach you and demand you do, threatening to beat you up.

Azerbaijan is filled with scammers so be very careful.LOLLOLLOL

That sounds like a 15-20 year old take tbh. Generally safe, especially in the city centre. Like any other city, don't go wandering down dark streets/lanes alone at 2 in the morning. Been a long time since I last heard of some expat being targeted for nothing. 
Main tips would be to avoid 'downstairs' bars, unless it's an expat targeted pub like O'Malleys.
And agree your taxi fares before you get in. Many a pirate behind a steering wheel. 

Be wary of hot girls wanting a drink in any city!! LOL If you do head home with one though, keep an eye on your phone, passport and wallet...
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 9:49am
Is everyone  bringing their passports to the match for photo I.D? I wonder would they accept the  PPS card instead? 

Edited by irishmufc - 09 Oct 2021 at 9:50am
Jack City View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:12am
I'm going to bring my Drivingi License, any photo ID should do.Leave the passport in the hotel, don't like carrying it around when I'm on the piss.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:26am
Yah I don't want to be bring mine round. 

Dont have a drivers license so might just chance the PPS card. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 11:03am
Enjoy the trip folks Clap
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122 23>
  Share Topic