You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Azerbaijan Away - Saturday 9th October 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by Jack City Jack City wrote:

Just got in the door here in Cork after a long drive from Dublin Airport, nearly fell asleep twice on the Motorway.Had to stop and rest the eye's, great trip.Thought the Azerbaijan people were sound, congratulations from alot of them after we won the match.
You met them all?

LOL
Chips don't bounce
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 6:29am
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Any stories from this trip?
Was there 1 main bar that people went to or was it spread over the city?
Who got scammed at the local titty bar? There's usually someone.

Any mental taxi drivers?

We hopped in a taxi to go out to the stadium. "Taxi" man didn't have a clue where the stadium was (it's on the main road out to the airport so it's impossible to miss). We had to jump out and run for about 15 minutes to get there. Missed the first 15 minutes of the match.

Spent most of the 2 days in O'Malley's. Special mention for the barmaid who had the full moon party top on Heart

Ridiculously cheap city, 2e for a Xirdalan in O'Malley's. All Azeri men must be mandated to wear the same clothes; black bomber jackets and denim jeans. They all dressed like they were extras from a movie about the troubles.

Great trip.

Edited by The Huntacha - 12 Oct 2021 at 6:30am
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 9:45am
Used bolt app for any taxi journeys and it was mad cheap. One journey took a whopping 26 cent from my revolut. Drank a lot in the tequila bar just off fountain Square and it was 5 mannats for a pint bottle. She was so happy with our custom that she gave us 2 bottles of vodka and a bottle of Azerbaijan red wine coming home. 

Edited by kevincronin2000 - 12 Oct 2021 at 9:48am
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 10:15am
Great few days, lovely city and all the locals we encountered were very nice.

Brilliant atmosphere among those that travelled over
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 11:18am
As everyone has said excellent trip, bit of a mad place but that added to it. Locals bit shy but sound. Did the walking tour sat morning, was sh*te and did a runner half way through. 

The football makes a trip and good result was cherry on top for a very enjoyable away. 

gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 3:51pm
brilliant trip , locals sound , beautiful city and wonderful support.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Any stories from this trip?
Was there 1 main bar that people went to or was it spread over the city?
Who got scammed at the local titty bar? There's usually someone.

Any mental taxi drivers?

The night before my departure, asked hotel to book me a taxi to the airport at 6am. The following morning the car was there waiting for me. It had no seatbelts in the back and a juddering sounding engine as or sped along (and I do mean speed). The fact the the driver had no taxi registration on display, or a meter, or even a taxi sign on the car leads me to suspect the hotel receptionist didn't so much as book me a taxi as ask a mate to drive me to the airport for a nice little earner. When we arrived at the airport, instead of dropping me off at departures, my ‘taxi’ stopped in the short stay car park. Possibly because as an illegal taxi, it wasn’t entitled to use the drop off points. All this for an extortionate 50 menat (about €25) 😡
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 9:05pm
We needed PCR tests for the flight back to Dubai. The fella who was looking after our Air BnB organises it over the phone. Gives the person specific instructions; "only negative results" LOL
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 9:05am
Cracking trip Clap

Baku is absolutely class, one of the cleanest cities I have ever been in. The locals were sound. In fact they hadn't a clue the football was on which meant there was no interest or rivalry as such. 

I could list 100 mad stories but I will leave it at 3.

When I was leaving the hotel I dropped my credit card when I was going to the ATM (actually another lad did but we won't play the blame game Wink) - Once I got to the ATM I realised it was gone and headed back. Half the lads were out having breakfast - I had the mobile data off so in the time it took me to get back - suppose about 5 mins, the lad at the hotel had picked up my card and send text messages to the lad in our group who was sorting the hotel. When I got back he was buzzing that he had it and handed it over. You just don't see that in many places.

When we arrived in the hotel on the 1st night - there was an offie next door. We asked the hotel staff if we could bring in cans to the hotel. Not only did they say yes, they came in with me and picked out the nicest local beers for us. Once we got back in, they gave us glasses to pour the beer in to and then went ahead and ordered us loads of pizzas & kebabs LOL. No joke we could / did stay up drinking every night at the hotel until whenever we wanted. They just sat across from us and were delighted with the entertainment. Every once in a while they would ask if we were ok.

We had issues with getting a bolt to the airport on the last night. We couldn't get a 6 seater. Well that's not true as such. We had gotten a 6 seater a night previous and when the lad arrived he didn't want to do bolt and wanted cash so was straight on the scam. So when the 6 seater turned up the next night it was the same scam artist so we had to tell him to jog on. Anyways we said we would order a standard car as time was ticking by. Taxi man showed up and said taking the extra person was no hassle. Lads were squashed alright but the trip still cost us less than €2 LOL

Lunatics & a great bunch of lads

Saying that - outside Baku city is one of the biggest dives I have ever seen. The poverty outside the city is actually scary.

Edited by kearney304 - 13 Oct 2021 at 9:08am
ScaryEire View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScaryEire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 3:24pm
Great trip as the match performance and result crowned it! Only down side was the chap who had his tricolour ripped by one of the many guards at the turnstile! Unbeknown to the flags owner, our hosts are “at war” with their neighbours Armenia. The chap adds a new country’s badge to his tricolour once visited with an Armenian badge among his collection.Don’t think he’ll be adding an Azerbaijan badge! Bit over the top mr policeman but maybe also a lesson to us all?! All the Azerbaijan flags on the Baku building balconies were in a mark of respect to their war falling. Fair enough but the Irish flag owner meant no disrespect yet the guard took offence. Still, excellent trip.

Edited by ScaryEire - 13 Oct 2021 at 3:27pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by ScaryEire ScaryEire wrote:

Great trip as the match performance and result crowned it! Only down side was the chap who had his tricolour ripped by one of the many guards at the turnstile! Unbeknown to the flags owner, our hosts are “at war” with their neighbours Armenia. The chap adds a new country’s badge to his tricolour once visited with an Armenian badge among his collection.Don’t think he’ll be adding an Azerbaijan badge! Bit over the top mr policeman but maybe also a lesson to us all?! All the Azerbaijan flags on the Baku building balconies were in a mark of respect to their war falling. Fair enough but the Irish flag owner meant no disrespect yet the guard took offence. Still, excellent trip.

The flags are in relation to 30 years of freedom
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 2:44pm

It was excessive by the Azerbaijanis but the war/conflict made international news last year so Its surprising someone wouldn't have at least some ounce of awareness of it or their ongoing issues with Armenia. 

It does no harm in future to read up on any of these out of the way destinations should we draw their teams again like Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Armenia etc as you could inadvertently cause offence without realising it. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 3:34pm
Did they stamp your passports on the way in?
Might make things interesting if we draw Armenia in the Nations League.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 3:38pm
Yup 
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Yeah they did but appearently that's not an issue 
wicklowrunner View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicklowrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

It was excessive by the Azerbaijanis but the war/conflict made international news last year so Its surprising someone wouldn't have at least some ounce of awareness of it or their ongoing issues with Armenia. 

It does no harm in future to read up on any of these out of the way destinations should we draw their teams again like Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Armenia etc as you could inadvertently cause offence without realising it. 

They hate the Armenians.
Was on a tour on the Sunday. Our guide was talking about Turkey and the EU. I said one issue is the refusal to apologise for the Armenian Genocide. He hardly acknowledged my comment.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 5:33pm
They are Turkish lackey's. The turks armed them in the war against Armenia. 

Armenians f**ked over enough down the years. 

I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Yeah they did but appearently that's not an issue 

Mate of mine had no issues with the Armenian stamp in his passport. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 20212223>
  Share Topic