You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Housing Market

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:10am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I wonder will the greater access to remote working allow
for more people working and living outside Dublin. In addition will
It free up office space in central Dublin for apartments and homes.  

I think so. My own plan is to move permanently back home to Westport once I get the mortgage up in Dublin paid off. 

You mortgage free soon or you talking about 20 years or so? 
AKA pedantic kunt
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:14am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

That's already happening, we are seeing it a good bit. Not massive but noticeable. Broadband is the biggest obstacle but we are seeing a lot of people move home from big urban centres

As for office space being changed into living accommodation - it is not that straight forward apparently. Complete different set of building regs so it's extremely costly. Not even sure how possible it is

If the latter can’t happen there will be major pushback as nobody wants the major cities to turn into ghost towns etc so if they can’t sort out the latter aspect it may delay the former part imo.  I have no doubt it will happen in individual cases but a widespread policy will only happen if they can secure the future of the city centres imo with housing instead of the empty office spaces.  I think over the next 5 years it will probably be evolution rather than revolution and it will be this hybrid model of 2 or 3 days in the office for
many people.  What impact that will have on pubs coffee shops cafes shops etc in the city centre will be interesting to see and I suspect it will see a drop in their sales and maybe a drop in rates and rents also.  
AKA pedantic kunt
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:39am

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I think so. My own plan is to move permanently back home to Westport once I get the mortgage up in Dublin paid off. 

You mortgage free soon or you talking about 20 years or so? 

Hoping to have it fully paid in 7 years.  
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

why the obsession with buying a house, all you do is make the banks even richer

use all that money to start a business, educate yourself, invest etc

renting is not a scam, it's gives people freedom, move whenever, no maintenance or hassle etc

30 year mortgage and then after that they sell the exact same house to some other poor sod for another 30 years, it is not a good investment, the interest you pay over that time could buy another house ffs

more often than not you never even own the house, the bank does Wink

Unless they suddenly allow people to buy houses on hire purchase this is simply 100% untrue.

But I do agree that renting is not a scam. I rented for about 10 years before buying and it was perfect for me at that stage of my life. Although renting when I did was a hell of a lot cheaper than it is now. We had a 3 bed townhouse in Dublin 16 for €1,050 a month.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Last week was the straw that broke the camels back. The vulture funds snapping up housing and then the back slapping about the affordable housing at prices circa 400k...it shows how out of touch they truly are with people.

I'm 32, living at home, have a good job, decent savings and decided it's time to buy a house. I worked all through Covid so plenty of extra money at my disposal. Houses will be almost given away surely??... How wrong I was.

Prices have gone up. Housing estates, certainly down this way have seen increased building and in some cases this has meant nice quiet estates have all been turned into nothing short of a favela, with every extra bit of concrete hijacked to have a house on it.

I applied for a mortgage back in June and got accepted. What I got couldn't get me a fancy shed however, never mind a house. I saved my arse off in the interim 6 months and reapplied. Extra savings plus a raise at work. I'm thinking I'm looking at a decent increase here... I managed to show a projected increase of about an extra 12k for 2021 and my approved mortgage went up by.....4000 euro.

I refuse to rent. Its a scam. Unfortunately it seems the housing market is an ever bigger scam. Its an absolute joke what people get away with. Estate agents have the power to literally make it up as they go along and take full advantage. 
Sham: Surely you'll be voting out the government parties at the next election then!!!
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:52am
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

No doubt this will spell the end for the current government but you cant help but feel that there is now enough noise being made that something might be done.

What a joke of a country Thumbs Down
What's wrong with the housing market now? Are you talking about the funds buying estates?

A myriad of issues. Mainly unaffordability and yes, the vultures. 
Have we ever been happy with the "affordability" of houses? There's clips from the 70's of people arguing about the cost of housing. SF blocking every proposed council development so they can claim "the government is building nothing " is the main blocker from development at the moment as I see it
They really really aren’t. 
What they are blocking is the handing over of public land to private developers in exchange for 20% “public housing” 

Oscar Traynor was 50% affordable and social, that's a good mix. Was a good proposal, should've been voted through.

Haven't come across the 20% thing, have you a link? 

I think it's only a proposal to increase rule 5 from 5% to 20%
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:01am

Hopefully something like this happens, it would be at least 2-3 years before you'd see any impact 
It would damage this forums' reputation
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

No doubt this will spell the end for the current government but you cant help but feel that there is now enough noise being made that something might be done.

What a joke of a country Thumbs Down
What's wrong with the housing market now? Are you talking about the funds buying estates?

A myriad of issues. Mainly unaffordability and yes, the vultures. 
Have we ever been happy with the "affordability" of houses? There's clips from the 70's of people arguing about the cost of housing. SF blocking every proposed council development so they can claim "the government is building nothing " is the main blocker from development at the moment as I see it
They really really aren’t. 
What they are blocking is the handing over of public land to private developers in exchange for 20% “public housing” 

Oscar Traynor was 50% affordable and social, that's a good mix. Was a good proposal, should've been voted through.

Haven't come across the 20% thing, have you a link? 

I think it's only a proposal to increase rule 5 from 5% to 20%

Had heard that alright, I would deal a lot with Part V, an imperfect system but it does deliver homes 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 3:01pm

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Myself and the fiancée plan to move to Donegal in the near future. We both have permanent jobs in Dublin, herself as a vet and me as a teacher. Would we be able to get a mortgage on the proviso that we currently are in permanent  jobs in Dublin or would we have to show that we have permanent jobs lined up closer to home? She'd be ok picking up one but a permanent contract for me right away would be nigh on impossible but I would be able to get a fixed term/temporary one alright. 

You will have issues with the bank.  You will need to be able to show you can work in Donegal otherwise it’s an investment property.  

Cheers Baldrick...I'll have to work on that then so. Saying I am going to stay with a friend midweek and home for the weekend probably won't cut it I'd imagine
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 3:44pm

Myself and the fiancée plan to move to Donegal in the near future. We both have permanent jobs in Dublin, herself as a vet and me as a teacher. Would we be able to get a mortgage on the proviso that we currently are in permanent  jobs in Dublin or would we have to show that we have permanent jobs lined up closer to home? She'd be ok picking up one but a permanent contract for me right away would be nigh on impossible but I would be able to get a fixed term/temporary one alright. 
Not sure why you felt the need to tell us exactly what the two of you do for a living tbh.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 14 May 2021 at 3:44pm
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 3:57pm
Because if he was the owner of Amazon he wouldn't really have anything to worry about.

But i'm not sure if you're taking the p*ss here, beacuse wasn't there another thread where someone said what they did for a living ( for relevence) and someone got high and mighty about the need to tell us.
The dark side.. And the light
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Not sure why you felt the need to tell us exactly what the two of you do for a living tbh.

It might help me as someone that is giving advice might have been in a similar boat or knew someone doing something similar... Sorry if I made you feel vexed....it was a fairly scumbaggy thing to write alright. Except my humblest apologies
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:22pm

It might help me as someone that is giving advice might have been in a similar boat or knew someone doing something similar... Sorry if I made you feel vexed....it was a fairly scumbaggy thing to write alright. Except my humblest apologies

BSM - you need to get over here and hand out some bans for this insane and disgusting behaviour. 

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

BSM - you need to get over here and hand out some bans for this insane and disgusting behaviour. 

Are we even sure this guy is a teacher? Big smile
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:24pm

Why do you care? 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:32pm
The applicants' type of employment is pretty relevant to a discussion about applying for a mortgage I would have thought. Strange thing to get hung up on.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 4:46pm

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Are we even sure this guy is a teacher? Big smile

That is pretty embarrassing alrightLOLEmbarrassed 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 5:23pm
LOL
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic