You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Housing Market

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Housing Market
    Posted: 13 May 2021 at 3:08pm
No doubt this will spell the end for the current government but you cant help but feel that there is now enough noise being made that something might be done.

What a joke of a country Thumbs Down

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

No doubt this will spell the end for the current government but you cant help but feel that there is now enough noise being made that something might be done.

What's wrong with the housing market now? Are you talking about the funds buying estates?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

What's wrong with the housing market now? Are you talking about the funds buying estates?

A myriad of issues. Mainly unaffordability and yes, the vultures. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 3:55pm
The lads some it up. 

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 4:44pm

Have we ever been happy with the "affordability" of houses? There's clips from the 70's of people arguing about the cost of housing. SF blocking every proposed council development so they can claim "the government is building nothing " is the main blocker from development at the moment as I see it
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:02pm

Have we ever been happy with the "affordability" of houses? There's clips from the 70's of people arguing about the cost of housing. SF blocking every proposed council development so they can claim "the government is building nothing " is the main blocker from development at the moment as I see it

All 1st hand, 2nd hand and apartments are being hoovered up by Vulture funds with heavy tax incentives.

People aren't getting an opportunity to buy.

The video clips above sums it up to be fair.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:04pm
In my own experience in the council its the FG members that block most things, talking out both sides of their mouth.

I used to work at the housing policy meetings, same councillors blocking things over and over on nimbyism grounds. Mainly elderly long serving councillors. 
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:20pm
Last week was the straw that broke the camels back. The vulture funds snapping up housing and then the back slapping about the affordable housing at prices circa 400k...it shows how out of touch they truly are with people.

I'm 32, living at home, have a good job, decent savings and decided it's time to buy a house. I worked all through Covid so plenty of extra money at my disposal. Houses will be almost given away surely??... How wrong I was.

Prices have gone up. Housing estates, certainly down this way have seen increased building and in some cases this has meant nice quiet estates have all been turned into nothing short of a favela, with every extra bit of concrete hijacked to have a house on it.

I applied for a mortgage back in June and got accepted. What I got couldn't get me a fancy shed however, never mind a house. I saved my arse off in the interim 6 months and reapplied. Extra savings plus a raise at work. I'm thinking I'm looking at a decent increase here... I managed to show a projected increase of about an extra 12k for 2021 and my approved mortgage went up by.....4000 euro.

I refuse to rent. Its a scam. Unfortunately it seems the housing market is an ever bigger scam. Its an absolute joke what people get away with. Estate agents have the power to literally make it up as they go along and take full advantage. 

Edited by ShamtheRam - 13 May 2021 at 7:50pm
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:33pm
Yeah the past year has been a disaster for people house hunting. Construction slowdown reduced supply, and people saving more boosted demand. 

I know it’s tough to do but if ya can sit it out another year this temporary spike should resolve a bit
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:36pm
Why will everything be fine in a year?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Il Principe View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Il Principe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:39pm
why the obsession with buying a house, all you do is make the banks even richer

use all that money to start a business, educate yourself, invest etc

renting is not a scam, it's gives people freedom, move whenever, no maintenance or hassle etc

30 year mortgage and then after that they sell the exact same house to some other poor sod for another 30 years, it is not a good investment, the interest you pay over that time could buy another house ffs

more often than not you never even own the house, the bank does Wink
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:41pm

They really really aren’t. 
What they are blocking is the handing over of public land to private developers in exchange for 20% “public housing” 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Il Principe Il Principe wrote:

renting is not a scam, it's gives people freedom, move whenever, no maintenance or hassle etc

30 year mortgage and then after that they sell the exact same house to some other poor sod for another 30 years, it is not a good investment, the interest you pay over that time could buy another house ffs

I’ll sell my house tomorrow and rent it back for 3x times my mortgage Clap
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:45pm

Let’s tease this out a little.  For arguments sake you are living in Dublin and you have rented all your life spending more money per month on rent than you would on your mortgage.  In addition your rent goes up every year or two whereas your mortgage payment generally stays the same or May go down.  Then when you retire you still have to pay rent even though your income may have halved if you are lucky.   What would you propose
For a 67 year old who has never bought.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Why will everything be fine in a year?

Of course it won’t but how do you break it to a lad he will be living with his parents for a lot longer.

You have to give him some hope and tell him it will be okay next year. 

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 6:09pm

That doesn't really make sense sure rent is far higher then mortgage and you are at the mercy of landlords and increasing prices for the next 30-odd years and then what happens when you retire. 

Houses beside me are renting for 2.5 times what I'm paying per month for my home loan 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Last week was the straw that broke the camels back. The vulture funds snapping up housing and then the back slapping about the affordable housing at prices circa 400k...it shows how out of touch they truly are with people.

I'm 32, living at home, have a good job, decent savings and decided it's time to buy a house. I worked all through Covid so plenty of extra money at my disposal. Houses will be almost given away surely??... How wrong I was.

Prices have gone up. Housing estates, certainly down this way have seen increased building and in some cases this has meant nice quite estates have all been turned into nothing short of a favela, with every extra bit of concrete hijacked to have a house on it.

I applied for a mortgage back in June and got accepted. What I got couldn't get me a fancy shed however, never mind a house. I saved my arse off in the interim 6 months and reapplied. Extra savings plus a raise at work. I'm thinking I'm looking at a decent increase here... I managed to show a projected increase of about an extra 12k for 2021 and my approved mortgage went up by.....4000 euro.

I refuse to rent. Its a scam. Unfortunately it seems the housing market is an ever bigger scam. Its an absolute joke what people get away with. Estate agents have the power to literally make it up as they go along and take full advantage. 
That's a result of a lack of competition for ya. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 7:24pm
It all depends where in the country you live, but from my perspective it's a simple case of supply and demand. Like sham said above, he's saved a pile in the last 12 months. Unfortunately for sham he wasn't the only one, so the short supply is under even more pressure because loads of people now have enough of a deposit to get a mortgage. We are seeing crazy numbers here. Im talking 15% in the space of 6 weeks. 3 bed semis going for close to boom prices. Poxy 3 bed semis in a small village going for more than a nice 3 bed semi was going in a town less than 12 months ago.
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic