You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Housing Market

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Myself and the fiancée plan to move to Donegal in the near future. We both have permanent jobs in Dublin, herself as a vet and me as a teacher. Would we be able to get a mortgage on the proviso that we currently are in permanent  jobs in Dublin or would we have to show that we have permanent jobs lined up closer to home? She'd be ok picking up one but a permanent contract for me right away would be nigh on impossible but I would be able to get a fixed term/temporary one alright. 
Not sure why you felt the need to tell us exactly what the two of you do for a living tbh.

It might help me as someone that is giving advice might have been in a similar boat or knew someone doing something similar... Sorry if I made you feel vexed....it was a fairly scumbaggy thing to write alright. Except my humblest apologies

Your job couldn't be any more relevant to the question you asked LOL

Teachers and firemen have long been on Trig's hitlist. We can add vets to the list too now I suppose.
A vet must have euthanised his beloved ferret or something
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 12:32am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

The last census showed that there were approximately 250,000 vacant dwellings in Ireland. Many of these will be in a dilapidated state and I can't understand why the government aren't CPO'ing all of these and redeveloping them for social housing.

Banning airbnb will address the lack of rental properties, as Covid has shown. 

Where are the vacant properties though.  No much good if they are stuck up a mountain or in a very remote area.  

Some people want to live in remote areas or up a mountain, but there are plenty of derelict buildings between the canals in Dublin. A lot of work has been carried our in Summerhill in the last couple of years to bring these back up to spec but walk around any residential street around Dublin City centre and you will see it.

I saw a TV show, many moons ago, where a wealthy builder was taking over such properties and using local youth to work on them and learn a trade. It was making housing available, creating employment and giving locals an education. I never understood how more councils didn't pick up on this initiative.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:47am
Every major city in the world has a housing problem.
More than 50% of adults are priced out of the market and property developers are buying more than ever.

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:48am

The last census showed that there were approximately 250,000 vacant dwellings in Ireland. Many of these will be in a dilapidated state and I can't understand why the government aren't CPO'ing all of these and redeveloping them for social housing.

Banning airbnb will address the lack of rental properties, as Covid has shown. 

Where are the vacant properties though.  No much good if they are stuck up a mountain or in a very remote area.  

Some people want to live in remote areas or up a mountain, but there are plenty of derelict buildings between the canals in Dublin. A lot of work has been carried our in Summerhill in the last couple of years to bring these back up to spec but walk around any residential street around Dublin City centre and you will see it.

I saw a TV show, many moons ago, where a wealthy builder was taking over such properties and using local youth to work on them and learn a trade. It was making housing available, creating employment and giving locals an education. I never understood how more councils didn't pick up on this initiative.

The amount of houses that the Dublin councils own is minuscule.  Any of the ones that are vacant are almost certainly privately owned and as a result not the councils responsibility.  

You said 250k are vacant.  I would be interested to know the geographic spread and how many are in service areas etc.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:31am

Myself and the fiancée plan to move to Donegal in the near future. We both have permanent jobs in Dublin, herself as a vet and me as a teacher. Would we be able to get a mortgage on the proviso that we currently are in permanent  jobs in Dublin or would we have to show that we have permanent jobs lined up closer to home? She'd be ok picking up one but a permanent contract for me right away would be nigh on impossible but I would be able to get a fixed term/temporary one alright. 
Not sure why you felt the need to tell us exactly what the two of you do for a living tbh.

It might help me as someone that is giving advice might have been in a similar boat or knew someone doing something similar... Sorry if I made you feel vexed....it was a fairly scumbaggy thing to write alright. Except my humblest apologies

Your job couldn't be any more relevant to the question you asked LOL

Teachers and firemen have long been on Trig's hitlist. We can add vets to the list too now I suppose.
Well nobody else on the thread felt the need to tell us what they do! I’ve no problem with teachers they have a very hard and responsible job.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 16 May 2021 at 9:31am
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:34am
nobody else on the thread had an issue with him mentioning his job so what’s your point? .  Why does it bother you that he mentioned his job in the context of a debate about housing and how unaffordable it is for those with a decent job .  
AKA pedantic kunt
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:31am
There are plenty of empty houses around but it depends what the definition is. Is it a kip that needs 200k spent on it to make it livable with no broadband in the area? I would wager a huge amount of them are.

The housing market is ****ish in Dublin. I would absolutely hate to be trying to buy there. Its nowhere near the same down here but it is starting to show signs that it is about to get very difficult. The market isn't normal at them moment. I'd say perspective buyers are gone up by about 30% with the amount of people who have saved deposits and been approved for a mortgage over the last year. But stock has gone down by about 15% as well. That's a hell of a swing 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 11:47am

nobody else on the thread had an issue with him mentioning his job so what’s your point? .  Why does it bother you that he mentioned his job in the context of a debate about housing and how unaffordable it is for those with a decent job .  
It was a debate about housing alright yet he could have just said we have two jobs no need whatsoever to say the exact type of jobs! Think it’s just the way Irish fans have gone in general and it’s very noticeable on this forum and on away trips especially that the fans have become very middle class and not so many working class fans anymore.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 16 May 2021 at 11:47am
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 11:51am

It was a debate about housing alright yet he could have just said we have two jobs no need whatsoever to say the exact type of jobs! Think it’s just the way Irish fans have gone in general and it’s very noticeable on this forum and on away trips especially that the fans have become very middle class and not so many working class fans anymore.

Wtf😀😀😀. Who bloody cares if a person is a teacher or a bricklayer or a ceo, a bib man or unemployed on an Ireland trip.   Part of the fun of a trip is meeting people from all walks of life and not giving a sh*t about any of that.  You seem to have a hang up about what you call middle class people.  

Teachers are on roughly the median wages esp in their 30s.  How does someone making 30 to 40k a year in their 30s and can’t afford to buy a house in anyway middle class ffs. Many bricklayers would earn a good lot more than a teacher too.  

I think your out of date views of the world are redundant to be honest. 

Edited by Baldrick - 16 May 2021 at 11:52am
AKA pedantic kunt
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 12:04pm

This is a bonkers post LOL

Forget the chip, there’s a Boulder on your shoulder lad. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 12:09pm
There is a serious over-simplification of the term "middle-class" and how it applies to Irish households.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 12:13pm

There is a serious over-simplification of the term "middle-class" and how it applies to Irish households.

Big time and in many senses it’s out of date and it is meaningless.  In some instances traditional working class jobs can earn much more than traditionally middle class jobs.  Anyway who gives a sh*t, when I meet someone on an Ireland trip whether they run their own business or are a ceo or they are unemployed or a public sector worker or a solicitor, I don’t care.  Will they buy me a drink is my only question 😀😀😀
AKA pedantic kunt
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:34pm

LOLLOLLOL I wasn't debating about housing ya mad thing, I had a very specific question about a mortgage that occupations would play a part. Anyway, thanks to the couple of lads that gave me useful answers. And thank you Trigboy for giving me a good laugh!! You'll probably recognise me from 114 and you'll realise I'm upper class, not middle classThumbs Down
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:50pm
The oddest oddball on a forum full of oddballs.

Edited by Trigboy.

Edited by FrankosHereNow - 16 May 2021 at 10:51pm
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:26am

LOLLOLLOL I wasn't debating about housing ya mad thing, I had a very specific question about a mortgage that occupations would play a part. Anyway, thanks to the couple of lads that gave me useful answers. And thank you Trigboy for giving me a good laugh!! You'll probably recognise me from 114 and you'll realise I'm upper class, not middle classThumbs Down

He'll recognise you from your monocle and top hat.
The dark side.. And the light
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:58am

It was Baldrick who first mentioned the word debate i was only referencing it back to him. No hassle happy to help when i can.

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 17 May 2021 at 9:59am
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 10:14am
LOL you’re a strange one Trig. 
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 5:27pm
Posh boy Bronze 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic