You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anselmo Garcia McNulty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 7:11pm
Our first-choice centre-half for the upcoming U21 campaign. 

Left-footed with 28 appearances in the Eerste Divisie for NAC Breda this season.  He is on loan from VfL Wolfsburg, whom he joined from Real Betis.

Born in Spain to an Irish mother and Spanish father, and speaking to the sterling work of Irish Mammies throughout the globe, he elected to play for Ireland through his youth career.   

He has appeared for us at U15, memorably at U17 in the undefeated team in the European Championships, U19 and now U21. He hasn't ruled out declaring for Spain "you never knowetc., etc., but seems committed to us. 

Seems a great prospect.

Nice recent article about him here: 

Sponsored Links

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 9:59pm
Moved the post to this thread you already started in May 2021. 

Edited by Sham157 - 31 Mar 2023 at 10:02pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 8:51pm
See Van De Ven of Wolfsburg is attracting proper interest from big clubs after his breakout season this year. He moved after a season playing for Volendam in the Eerste Divisie in 20/21. 

Garcia McNulty goes back after a strong season in the same division this season on loan at Breda. Gonna be very interesting to see what happens to him wouldn’t be remotely shocked to see him playing a few games for Wolfsburg next year. 

Incidentally Volendam finished 6th in 20/21. Breda finished 6th this season in the same League as if their wasn’t enough similarities. 

Edited by kevin100 - 27 Jun 2023 at 8:52pm
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2023 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

See Van De Ven of Wolfsburg is attracting proper interest from big clubs after his breakout season this year. He moved after a season playing for Volendam in the Eerste Divisie in 20/21. 

Garcia McNulty goes back after a strong season in the same division this season on loan at Breda. Gonna be very interesting to see what happens to him wouldn’t be remotely shocked to see him playing a few games for Wolfsburg next year. 

Incidentally Volendam finished 6th in 20/21. Breda finished 6th this season in the same League as if their wasn’t enough similarities. 

Unfortunately, I think he will definitely jump ship if Spain offer him a senior cap in a year or two.

They're not blessed with many centre backs. They've had to bring in French born Laporte and Le Normand.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 6:58am
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Unfortunately, I think he will definitely jump ship if Spain offer him a senior cap in a year or two.

They're not blessed with many centre backs. They've had to bring in French born Laporte and Le Normand.

LOL You won’t have to worry about Spain! Relax yourself.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 9:45am
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

LOL You won’t have to worry about Spain! Relax yourself.

He's on record saying that he wouldn't rule out a switch to Spain. Back in 2021.

He only turned 20 back in February. If he does have a good season at a high level this coming season, he would be in the mix. They might offer him an U21 cap initially.

Their current senior CB options are Nacho (33), Laporte (29), D.García (29), Le Normand (26), Pau Torres (26) and E.García (22).

At U21 level, they have Paredes (23), Gila (23 soon) and Pacheco (22).

There could easily be a senior cap for him at 22/23 depending on how he progresses over the next few years. They're not producing CB talents like Albiol, Ramos and Piqué anymore. E.García was getting caps while barely playing for City. He already has 19 caps.
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 10:48am
It's hard to get excited for dual nationals at this stage of their career. Until he's tied down, we're in the strange position of wanting them to do well but not to the extent where they draw attention from their other nation. 

Given the noise from MacNulty about Spain, I would not be surprised in him switching at some point. I think we'll get this U21 campaing out of him but I do not forsee him being capped at senior level until he's in his mid 20s if he does stick with us.  
Feirenoord View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feirenoord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 11:03am
It'll be interesting to see if he gets much game time this season at Wolfsburg or if they send him out on loan again.

Playing regularly at NAC will have helped no-doubt to get games and experience under his belt, although the Dutch first division is an over 2.5 goal punters dream, with defending not being of the highest quality LOL

Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Pinginí Pinginí wrote:

It's hard to get excited for dual nationals at this stage of their career. Until he's tied down, we're in the strange position of wanting them to do well but not to the extent where they draw attention from their other nation. 

Given the noise from MacNulty about Spain, I would not be surprised in him switching at some point. I think we'll get this U21 campaing out of him but I do not forsee him being capped at senior level until he's in his mid 20s if he does stick with us.  

What noise?
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 12:36pm
He has one Irish parent and one who is Catalan or Basque, strongly opposed anyway to him playing for Spain. Like Liam Delap, his parents’ views may mean less to him as he grows up. Spain, like England, is no doubt more attractive for all the obvious reasons. I hope he stays with Ireland, he has looked one of the best underage talents coming through.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

He has one Irish parent and one who is Catalan or Basque, strongly opposed anyway to him playing for Spain. Like Liam Delap, his parents’ views may mean less to him as he grows up. Spain, like England, is no doubt more attractive for all the obvious reasons. I hope he stays with Ireland, he has looked one of the best underage talents coming through.

He was born in Seville, which is in Andalusia, and played for Real Betis' Academy until 2019.

Other famous Andalusians who played for Spain are Hierro, Sergio Ramos, Joaquín, Jesús Navas, Gavi, Fabían Ruiz, Ceballos, Isco, etc.

NaasSaint View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaasSaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 12:54pm
Genuine question, is it that much of a devastating loss if he does choose Spain?

Don't get me wrong, he's a class act. But the centre of defence is probably the one position where we're quite stacked with young talent - Collins, O'Shea, Omobamidele. Not to mention Sam Curtis who is only 17 can play there, and Sean Roughan at Lincoln.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by NaasSaint NaasSaint wrote:

Genuine question, is it that much of a devastating loss if he does choose Spain?

Don't get me wrong, he's a class act. But the centre of defence is probably the one position where we're quite stacked with young talent - Collins, O'Shea, Omobamidele. Not to mention Sam Curtis who is only 17 can play there, and Sean Roughan at Lincoln.
Not many of them playing at a top league tho, be great to have options playing at a good level
NaasSaint View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaasSaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by NaasSaint NaasSaint wrote:

Not many of them playing at a top league tho, be great to have options playing at a good level

Omobamidele linked with a move to Serie A while O'Shea and Collins are playing Premier League. Surely better than playing lower half of Eerste Divisie?
NaasSaint View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaasSaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 1:36pm
Apologies, meant top half of Eerste Divisie.
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

What noise?
https://www.balls.ie/football/anselmo-garcia-macnulty-ireland-future-548278

Speaking to Goal, Garcia McNulty admitted that while he has thoroughly enjoyed his time with Ireland and would love to be capped at senior level, he has said that 'you never know' when asked about the chances of playing for Spain. He also said that he is very in touch with his Irish roots, even playing hurling with his cousins during visits to his mother's home of Clar
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 3:27pm

What noise?

Speaking to Goal, Garcia McNulty admitted that while he has thoroughly enjoyed his time with Ireland and would love to be capped at senior level, he has said that 'you never know' when asked about the chances of playing for Spain. He also said that he is very in touch with his Irish roots, even playing hurling with his cousins during visits to his mother's home of Clar

That's a Balls.ie article from March. I'm aking where the noise is coming from Spain, i.e Is there any inclination from Spain having any interest in him?

Not having a go, just when you said given the noise from Spain, I presumed there was something from a Spanish point of source.

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 28 Jun 2023 at 3:27pm
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2023 at 4:28pm

What noise?

That's a Balls.ie article from March. I'm aking where the noise is coming from Spain, i.e Is there any inclination from Spain having any interest in him?

Not having a go, just when you said given the noise from Spain, I presumed there was something from a Spanish point of source.
I didn't say there was noise from Spain. I said there was noise from MacNulty about Spain. He's said in a few interviews he's open to Spain. 

If he's good enough and interested, Spain will come knocking sooner rather than later. They've been quite active in poaching dual national CBs recently. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic