You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's 2006. It's the Celtic Tiger...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's 2006. It's the Celtic Tiger...
    Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 9:44pm
...what are we up to?

1. Buying breakfast rolls from Centra
2. Working part time for 10 euro an hour and buying properties and creating a portfolio
3. Getting haircuts in Toni & Guy
4. Planning on buying a yacht even though you have 2000 euro in you bank account
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 10:29pm
finished 5th year in school. 

Part time job in Supervalu. And working with the father plastering in the summer. Well labouring. So was actually good money as a 17 year old. 

First proper girl friend as well. And a bit of freedom going out drinking. 

Good times to say the least. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 10:31pm
Buying a yacht while working part time is pretty impressive. 

The boom, much like the bust thankfully, passed me by. 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 10:48pm
graduated from college and got a job paying graduates 17k. Had a 10 year old fiesta which was bomb proof. used to booze friday and saturday and wake up with stinking hangovers....would feel 100% by lunchtime. good times.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 11:15pm
Got my now wife up the duff. Was 23 at the time. The end.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 12:19am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I was ripping the pissLOL

There was one lad on here after the boom circa 2010 (think it was Vivakenbarlow or SirAlex) boasting about their property portfolioLOL

For 95% of my purchases my mindset has always been if you dont have the money to pay for it in your account you can't buy it. 

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 12:31am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

There was one lad on here after the boom circa 2010 (think it was Vivakenbarlow or SirAlex) boasting about their property portfolioLOL

For 95% of my purchases my mindset has always been if you dont have the money to pay for it in your account you can't buy it. 

Using that logic you would never buy a house or start a business or for some buy a car.  It depends on what you are buying and what the interest rate is. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Using that logic you would never buy a house or start a business or for some buy a car.  It depends on what you are buying and what the interest rate is. 

Why do you think I said 95%?Confused

Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 6:24am
Drinking over priced pints 7 nights a week. Partied hard!

Bought an overpriced apartment at 24 with a tracker mortgage! Still have it and rent out to my mother in law.

Thankfully I bought my current gaf right at the bottom in 2012 so you win some, you lose some.

Remember builders on sites in 2006 were saying the arse was going to fall out of the market, credit drying up, etc.

Nobody listened.

Was talking to a builder the other day and he reckons they'll have a boom 12/18 months then is expecting a crash in their field.

Forget your financial experts on newstalk or rte. One thing I did learn is that the labourers and taxi men were first to see signs of the crash Thumbs Up
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Was talking to a builder the other day and he reckons they'll have a boom 12/18 months then is expecting a crash in their field.

Forget your financial experts on newstalk or rte. One thing I did learn is that the labourers and taxi men were first to see signs of the crash Thumbs Up
The problem with people like David McWilliams getting credit for calling the alst crash, is that every Tom, Dick and Harry are constantly saying "there'll be another crash soon", thinking they'll look smart if it ever does happen again. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

The problem with people like David McWilliams getting credit for calling the alst crash, is that every Tom, Dick and Harry are constantly saying "there'll be another crash soon", thinking they'll look smart if it ever does happen again. 

There is no skill in saying there is a crash,  the skill is to say the extent of it and the timing although that’s more luck too. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 12:09pm
The skill is making $2.6 Billion on the market crash.
I give you Bill Ackman.

Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

There is no skill in saying there is a crash,  the skill is to say the extent of it and the timing although that’s more luck too. 

Tbh I'm more talking about lads "on the grounds" experience. I remember at the peak in 06 a carpenter telling me the work has started to dry up, that there seemed to be an issue with getting paid, etc - everyone else was saying there be no crash. 

A number of months later, bang!!!
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 2:11pm

Bought an overpriced apartment at 24 with a tracker mortgage! Still have it and rent out to my mother in law.

Thankfully I bought my current gaf right at the bottom in 2012 so you win some, you lose some.

Remember builders on sites in 2006 were saying the arse was going to fall out of the market, credit drying up, etc.

Nobody listened.

I don't think housing will cause any downturn for a long time. There's such a big shortage I'd be surprised if in 5 years they're freely available. 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 4:06pm

Nobody listened.

Remember having the same conversations with chippies when I flew home every few months. Slowly bit by bit you could see during 2006 things were slowing.

Charlie pulled a stroke with stamp duty in a budget around 2004 which gave the sector a 24 month boost but then the arse fell out of things. Luckily for Charlie he had high tailed long before the collapse. It wasn't a coincidence either I suspect. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 01 May 2021 at 4:08pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 4:20pm
My business went bang at the start in 2006 as contractors went bust. Saw it coming a mile away.

I was ‘painting houses’ for a year as I couldnt draw the scratch as I was ‘self-employed’.

Good times all the same although it spawned some amount of kunts.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 4:27pm
http://m.independent.ie/business/irish/minister-makes-u-turn-as-tax-relief-schemes-extended-25917269.html

This stroke kept things going for awhile. Remember it well. A few months later he headed to Brussels knowing full well what was coming. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 01 May 2021 at 4:28pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 4:37pm
...and there was one I had bent over here, one up here I was fingering and I was just toe f**king the other one on the floor

Edited by t_rAndy - 01 May 2021 at 4:38pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic