Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is football so boring right now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 11:24pm
I was at the game in 89 against Spain and it was far from a great game.   A terrible match but a great occasion and a great atmosphere.  The Spanish folded that day. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 11:56pm
I don't think it's too many games, I think the TV companies push too much hype. It's a lovely sunny day and they push Burnley V Watford as not to be missed.

Go out, enjoy the sun, come back to the matches in a week or two,  be grand.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 12:06am
One live match and match of the day any MOTD2 per weekend is plenty IMO
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 12:12am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

I was at the game in 89 against Spain and it was far from a great game.   A terrible match but a great occasion and a great atmosphere.  The Spanish folded that day. 

It as a great game.  It was not sophisticated and it was on a sh*te pitch but it was good direct football and there were chances created that had the crowd excited.  Certainly wasn't a boring game.  The old back pass rule I think gets unfairly ridiculed.  It was more entertaining when the keeper picked it up and kicjed it from his hands up the pitch and the ball was bouncing around and could go anywhere creating chances.  Ok wasn't great as far as timewasting was concerened but I liked it the way it was tbh.

The problem with modern football I think is all the physicality has disappeared.  A player will go down if he feels as much as a zephyr of wind touch him.  Its pathetic.  Back in the old days they would kick lumps out of each other and nobody went down unless you were actually badly hurt.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

I don't think it's too many games, I think the TV companies push too much hype. It's a lovely sunny day and they push Burnley V Watford as not to be missed.

I tune on just for the craic and analysis as opposed to the game itself these days. 

Football is far too polished a game nowadays.  Too professional, too manicured, too perfect.  Its very uniform and generic across the board and everyone tries to play Barcelona 2011 football.  The game needs a breath of fresh air.  Something different.  A long ball team that kicks the opposition off the pitch.  Just anything bar boring tippy tappy going nowhere football.  Even if such a ugly long ball team was ridiculed by myself I just want something to watch or hate or make it interesting.

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

It as a great game.  It was not sophisticated and it was on a sh*te pitch but it was good direct football and there were chances created that had the crowd excited.  Certainly wasn't a boring game.  The old back pass rule I think gets unfairly ridiculed.  It was more entertaining when the keeper picked it up and kicjed it from his hands up the pitch and the ball was bouncing around and could go anywhere creating chances.  Ok wasn't great as far as timewasting was concerened but I liked it the way it was tbh.

The grass is always greener, but that is some revisionism of sh*te football. I also watched extended highlights of Liverpool v Man United in the 80s by chance about 6 months ago. The pitch was a mud bath but I was shocked at how terrible the football was, and the players of Dalglish, Robson, McGrath and Lawrenson were playing. 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:24am
What was there on back then, one live game a week?
A lot of people would never have watched a full 90 minutes of football. Match of the Day highlights at night

As someone said earlier, now apart from Christmas Day you can watch at least one premier league match a day on TV, most days. 
Any wonder its getting boring
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

The grass is always greener, but that is some revisionism of sh*te football. I also watched extended highlights of Liverpool v Man United in the 80s by chance about 6 months ago. The pitch was a mud bath but I was shocked at how terrible the football was, and the players of Dalglish, Robson, McGrath and Lawrenson were playing. 

It was more direct but not hoofball.  Good physical entertaining football.  If God had wanted us to keep the ball on the ground he would have made the ball out of iron young man.

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:44am

It was more direct but not hoofball.  Good physical entertaining football.  If God had wanted us to keep the ball on the ground he would have made the ball out of iron young man.

Who do you think you are
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Who do you think you are

Trap Junior.  Trap fooking Junior.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:25am
I just think playing from the back is so in vouge at the moment some team will start with somrthing else soon eoungh , look when you see Luxembourg doing the same then it's time to rethink .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I just think playing from the back is so in vouge at the moment some team will start with somrthing else soon eoungh , look when you see Luxembourg doing the same then it's time to rethink .
From an Irish international team perspective, we should revert to a nuanced version of JCs philosophy, dont play around the ball in our own half and take unnecessary chances. Play percentages, maximize every set play, organized chaos in the opponents box, put in a few hefty challenges, intimidate the opponents, make them hate to come to play in Dublin. Break their will and that'll allow us to play a bit in the opponents half. A bit revisionist but it's simple to implement and gets results.We can only play a possession based game if we have really good technical players and we dont.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

From an Irish international team perspective, we should revert to a nuanced version of JCs philosophy, dont play around the ball in our own half and take unnecessary chances. Play percentages, maximize every set play, organized chaos in the opponents box, put in a few hefty challenges, intimidate the opponents, make them hate to come to play in Dublin. Break their will and that'll allow us to play a bit in the opponents half. A bit revisionist but it's simple to implement and gets results.We can only play a possession based game if we have really good technical players and we dont.

We did that for years and most people wanted the current manager out for playing like that as we apparently had the players to play a better style
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 1:36pm
the rose tinted glasses of the 80s here is hilarious.  

I think some people should take up watching pinball
If they like random bounces of the ball. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

We did that for years and most people wanted the current manager out for playing like that as we apparently had the players to play a better style
Need to mix things up a bit go long at times and keep it short at others , If i was an Arsenal fan it would turn your hair white over night watching them pass it around at the back , how many goals have they given away this season for doing just that ?
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 1:42pm

Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

I tune on just for the craic and analysis as opposed to the game itself these days. 

Football is far too polished a game nowadays.  Too professional, too manicured, too perfect.  Its very uniform and generic across the board and everyone tries to play Barcelona 2011 football.  The game needs a breath of fresh air.  Something different.  A long ball team that kicks the opposition off the pitch.  Just anything bar boring tippy tappy going nowhere football.  Even if such a ugly long ball team was ridiculed by myself I just want something to watch or hate or make it interesting.

It's the reason the lower leagues in England and Scotlans get such big crowds these days.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 1:45pm

Need to mix things up a bit go long at times and keep it short at others , If i was an Arsenal fan it would turn your hair white over night watching them pass it around at the back , how many goals have they given away this season for doing just that ?

How many goals are given away by giving the ball away on purpose time and time again by kicking it up the pitch.  How many teams have won trophies by playing direct Long ball football.  Most trophies are won by those who can keep ball.  This is even more important as the game as become less physical due to rule changes.  If you are turning your possession into 50/50s the chances will tire more quickly and give away more frees.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 2:21pm

How many goals are given away by giving the ball away on purpose time and time again by kicking it up the pitch.  How many teams have won trophies by playing direct Long ball football.  Most trophies are won by those who can keep ball.  This is even more important as the game as become less physical due to rule changes.  If you are turning your possession into 50/50s the chances will tire more quickly and give away more frees.  
Was talking about Arsenal and the question still stands .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic