Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

European Super League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 41>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Normal working class people don't follow these clubs anymore. They are for tourists and dopes that like salads at half time. The lower leagues are the place to be.

Correct.  The Premier League is a global league with global players and global managers and owners. Certainly not English Football.

The Championship is ok.
The Championship is f**ked as well. It is only a matter of time before you end up with about 16 or so teams who swap between the two divisions. The unpredictable nature of the division has been coming more and more untrue as time passes. Many of the owners are as dodgy and worrisome as the league above, most clubs are run at massive debt chasing the dream of getting to the promise land. About half the league are owned by owners with no interest, love or connection to the places the teams are based and that is only going to get worse, unless this ESL actually were to take off and that would lead to a return to a more natural level of competition in the English leagues.
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Celtic, Rangers (even the zombie incarnation) and Ajax are all much bigger clubs than Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea. It's not even a Super League with the biggest clubs in Europe they want, just the richest owners.

And have all been in talks over the years and probably would leave their own domestic leagues if a more lucrative alternative was possible
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 7:56pm

Irish fans complaining about the potential damage done to the English league by this proposal Big smile

The Super League is aimed at barstoolers, you should be delighted. 
El Puto Amo
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Irish fans complaining about the potential damage done to the English league by this proposal Big smile

The Super League is aimed at barstoolers, you should be delighted. 

Do find it funny people giving out about it who wouldn't step foot in their local ground.

Game at the top level is long gone, hopefully more people realise that and do start coming to the league on their doorstep. 
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:05pm
 Once Americans get involved in sport its like injecting cancer cells into your bloodstream

They destroy everything they touch.

Edited by Ibaraki - 18 Apr 2021 at 8:06pm
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:07pm

The Premier League bosses were too busy stuffing cash into their pockets to care about who they were letting run their big clubs/ products. Now it turns out that the oligarchs/ hedge funds/ petro states don’t have the best interests of English football at heart Shocked
El Puto Amo
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Spurs a European powerhouse? is it April 1st ...

and Arsenal just as laughable
Based on geographical location and turnover they are. That's all that matters.
It's hard not to like Neville and his rant has gone viral, but he is happy to take money from Sky, who have stole English football's soul, while simultaneously helping to pump money into a hobby club that themselves would fall foul of any proper regulation in English football.

I think it's hard to like the cxxt tbh. 

Every football fan agrees with his point on the super league but he has to give a hollywood performance in comparison to Keane who summed it up in a few words (i.e. the greed) and left it at that. It was a safe subject to have a rant about when you know you'll have overwhelming support. 
I think Keane was cringing in his seat while Gary's you tube clip  was playing out in real time. 

He's an absolute cuck when he's appearing with Keane whether it was their appearance on off the ball a couple of years back or during United games on sky. He's too conciliatory when Keane was rubbishing Ferguson or if Keane is challenging his opinion when they're on the sky panel. He clearly disagrees with Keane at times but he just goes back into his shell. 

I find him an absolute bore of a pundit but one thing I will say for Jamie Redknapp, he might have a bit of bias towards Spurs (and Keane's overall point is correct about them) but at least he takes Keane on a bit more when he disagrees with him.   

Anyway back on topic. Boooouuuuurrnnns to the Super League proposal.  

Edited by irishmufc - 18 Apr 2021 at 8:17pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:22pm
I don't watch Sky apart from dodgy streaming Celtic games, so have know idea about what he is like and with who, but I read his autobiography and it was surprisingly enjoyable and he comes across on Twitter as someone who has some semblance of a moral perspective, even if he undermines it by being a property developer type pumping money into a hobby club and having that rant on Sky Sports is tinged with irony as they are the f**king problem!
I'm not overly bothered what he says on there though. Punditry died in football years ago anyway!
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

It's hard not to like Neville and his rant has gone viral, but he is happy to take money from Sky, who have stole English football's soul, while simultaneously helping to pump money into a hobby club that themselves would fall foul of any proper regulation in English football.

Every football fan agrees with his point on the super league but he has to give a hollywood performance in comparison to Keane who summed it up in a few words (i.e. the greed) and left it at that. It was a safe subject to have a rant about when you know you'll have overwhelming support. 
I think Keane was cringing in his seat while Gary's you tube clip  was playing out in real time. 

He's an absolute cuck when he's appearing with Keane whether it was their appearance on off the ball a couple of years back or during United games on sky. He's too conciliatory when Keane was rubbishing Ferguson or if Keane is challenging his opinion when they're on the sky panel. He clearly disagrees with Keane at times but he just goes back into his shell. 

I find him an absolute bore of a pundit but one thing I will say for Jamie Redknapp, he might have a bit of bias towards Spurs (and Keane's overall point is correct about them) but at least he takes Keane on a bit more when he disagrees with him.   

What a weird take.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:27pm

You on the sauce? Are we actually complementing Jamie Redknapp on his punditry, is this where this forum has gone to!? 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

You on the sauce? Are we actually complementing Jamie Redknapp on his punditry, is this where this forum has gone to!? 

Did you actually read my post? 

I called him a bore of a pundit.

At least he seems to stand up for himself a bit when he disagrees with Keane unlike Neville. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Nax View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:44pm
I hate this  but this is the future of sport . Boxing promoters sat on their hands and destroyed the sport for their own personal gain only to be overtaken by celebrity fights. UEFA have done something similar. The Champions League and Top tier football have been ruined by financial doping and the favoring of the clubs with money. The average consumer is changing too kids with short attention spans want to watch Man United against Barcelona they don't want to see United and Burnley. They haven't the patience to stick with a team or support them through thick and thin. I do enjoy the irony of pundits on SKY Sports being against it when SKY have contributed to this and did something similar with the rebranding of the Premier League.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 8:56pm
I dont see it happening.  Its just a power play, happens every now and again when the big teams want more money. 

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:14pm
The "leak" came out the day before UEFA are due to announce the revamp - clearly a scare tactic.

And the way that it was a "leak" rather than a press release, makes me think teams will distance themselves from it eventually.

That said, it's the route it'll go eventually, these americans that bought these clubs are used to no relegation with their US teams and want the same setup.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:18pm
Call their bluff, let them f**k off. Nobody is interested in this sh*te. UEFA shouldn’t make any changes to the Champions League either.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Sky will be sh*tting themselves.  The Premier League is their golden child and having the big 6 leave will spell the end of that.

This explains why they're happy to have their pundits slate this idea.

Do the breakaway clubs want it sanctioned under UEFA or run by their owners? 
Im The Gaffer View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Im The Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Normal working class people don't follow these clubs anymore. They are for tourists and dopes that like salads at half time. The lower leagues are the place to be.
Yes they do.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

The "leak" came out the day before UEFA are due to announce the revamp - clearly a scare tactic.

And the way that it was a "leak" rather than a press release, makes me think teams will distance themselves from it eventually.

That said, it's the route it'll go eventually, these americans that bought these clubs are used to no relegation with their US teams and want the same setup.

What does strike me is that there is at least some degree of coordination about it. I have yet to read a single team whose name has been mentioned do a cut and run, and flatly deny that there is any substance in this. If at 9:30 there is some sort of unified response, I feel that will suggest that clubs are undoubtedly discussing this, and that while it may be used as leverage now, it may become a reality down the line if finances deteriorate, or competition jeopardises the cartel that has sprung up in European football. also, if UEFA factor it in, in finalising the new CL plans, this will embolden these teams to try this again in the future.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 41>
  Share Topic