Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

European Super League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:00am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He's very funny on Twitter.

Yeah he is worth following for the laughs 

Sponsored Links

eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 7:09pm
I see a proposal for a world Cup every 2 years. Is this brought on as a result of the talks for the ESL and then the big changes uefa proposed?

Personally I'd go for a world cup every 3 years and euros every 3. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

I see a proposal for a world Cup every 2 years. Is this brought on as a result of the talks for the ESL and then the big changes uefa proposed?

It's brought on by every FA realising they have double the chance of hosting a WC if it happens
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 9:24pm
Ugh. Why can’t these people just f**k off and leave things as they are. 32 team World Cup every 4 years is perfect.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Ugh. Why can’t these people just f**k off and leave things as they are. 32 team World Cup every 4 years is perfect.
+1 million!!! It's the 4 year gap between tournaments that makes it special, even in these days of having football on tap. 

Otherwise, it's going to feel a bit like having Christmas on the 25th of every month. 

The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 10:34pm
Saudi Arabia have proposed it, Infantino is seriously fond of dictatorial countries. He spends a lot of time in Rwanda, a previous member of government there became FIFA ethics chief today, that Govt is known for its human rights abuses.

The more things change, the more things stay the same. 
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

+1 million!!! It's the 4 year gap between tournaments that makes it special, even in these days of having football on tap. 

Otherwise, it's going to feel a bit like having Christmas on the 25th of every month. 

I know they'd probably go for 2 years but do you not think 3 year gap would be good. 3 years still feels like a very long time. 
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2021 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

This sort of proposal comes along every couple of years and  nothing comes of it. Can't see UEFA and CONMEBOL agreeing to it
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 5:06pm

European Super League: Uefa and Fifa backed in battle to stop league's creation

Uefa and Fifa have received significant backing in their battle to block the creation of a European Super League.

In a report released by the European Court of Justice, its advocate general said the rules of football's European and world governing bodies were "compatible with EU competition law".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63984477

Bit of a boot in the balls for Agnelli, Laporta and Perez.

And if I could get near enough with my big boots on, I'd add a few more!

Meanwhile, the Dirty Half Dozen in the EPL may be feeling relieved right now. For never mind that their supporters are still all dead set against it, it is claimed by Real, Barca and Juve that all the original 12 members bar one* had signed contracts obliging them to pay big compensation if they wanted to pull out.

It may be that they are now free from that obligation, should the whole thing be ruled unlawful?

* - Iirc, one of the Milan clubs negotiated an opt-out clause unless certain conditions were met.

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 3:33pm
FIFA pushing forward with a 32 team club World Cup for 2025 LOL

No worse than the European Super League.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

FIFA pushing forward with a 32 team club World Cup for 2025 LOL

No worse than the European Super League.
It's a bad idea in lots of ways, but it would be quite different from the ESL, most notably in that all participating clubs would remain within their own Confederation.

Whereas the ESL is supposed to be a breakaway league from UEFA i.e. in direct competition.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 6:10pm
I have news for you Terri UEFA and FIFA are not the good guys.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2022 at 7:15pm
Loads of brand new stadia in Qatar with nothing to do after the World Cup. A precedent now set of all major European leagues having a winter break.

If a European Super League / World Club Cup is to be imposed, now is the time. To begin with, play it over a month in Qatar and call it the Winter Cup.

Just get it off the ground and expand it from there in the future.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Loads of brand new stadia in Qatar with nothing to do after the World Cup. A precedent now set of all major European leagues having a winter break.

If a European Super League / World Club Cup is to be imposed, now is the time. To begin with, play it over a month in Qatar and call it the Winter Cup.

Is that sarcasm or have you totally misread the mood
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2022 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

I have news for you Terri UEFA and FIFA are not the good guys.

Thank you for your "news", but I've never said they were.

There are a lot of bad things about UEFA and even more about FIFA.

But the ESL is inherently  ALL bad, there is NOTHING good about it.

On the btight side, and assuming the European Court accepts the Opinion of the AG, then this could even be the end of the last chance for Juve and/or Barca to avoid going bust (or at least undergoing 10 years without silverware while they get their finances in order.)

And who knows, it might even prove to be one more step towards the EPL becoming the de facto ESL? It will certainly be interesting to see where the new stars from Qatar end up after the January window.

Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Is that sarcasm or have you totally misread the mood

More wild internet speculation than anything else. Based on the belief that football is now, more than ever, the play thing of the rich. And they usually get what they want, eventually.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2022 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

The ESL is just about dead, fingers crossed.

As for the WCC, Infantino's expansion plans still have to get past UEFA/CONMEBOL and the European Clubs' Association, who won't want this concoction clogging up an already congested calendar. Nor will they want it played in the northern hemisphere winter any more than they did the 2022 World Cup, where Qatar bumped everyone into it after it was too late to take it elsewhere.

And even if Infantino does manage it, do you imagine that the 50 (100?) other countries who could host a beano like this would happily accept Qatar getting it permanently?

Not a hope - which is why Infantino is already promising the next one to USA.

P.S. No-one gives a stuff about all these unused stadia in Qatar, not even the Qataris, I should think.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 4:54pm
The Super League will probably never die. 

The concept has been around for ages and, as an idea, it makes more sense to create one now than in the past, as certain teams have become so dominant domestically and some of them are owned by people with no regard to tradition.

Playing it in the Middle East wouldn't necessarily be a permanent thing. It would be about getting it off the ground and avoiding any fan boycotts.

With all the problems associated with Qatar before the World Cup, the tournament itself will be remembered favourably.

That's exactly what Super League proponents would want - you'll hate it now, but once it's underway, you'll love it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041>
  Share Topic