Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

European Super League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 41>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

More about their own experience? Ffs lads what do ye think football is? We only follow and watch it because we enjoy it! It's not some massive sacrifice LOL

Yes so everyone should be left to enjoy it as they see fit and shouldn't have to apologize, be ridiculed or be called a sheep because they do it in a certain way. 

Correct but I totally understand why fans of Irish football get annoyed/bothered by their fellow countrymen and women pumping money into foreign football/corporations while Irish football struggles

They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Sponsored Links

MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

More about their own experience? Ffs lads what do ye think football is? We only follow and watch it because we enjoy it! It's not some massive sacrifice LOL

LOLClap  You hear the likes of AidoM say the same about away trips as if they are Martyrs because they spend their holidays watching football.  
LOL

I can't wait to have a few bob again to get a few away games under my belt   
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 1:08pm
@claret Murph, pleanty of regular home and away united supporters had the same attitude as your mate in 2005. Wasn’t easy, but they stayed.

But by doing so, their principals went out the window in my opinion. Not having a go at them, just think you can’t have it both ways - if you keep financially supporting these owners, things will never change. They only care about one things - money, so until it hits them in the pocket.....
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 11:17am
seems like one of the reasons this collapses was the threat of legislation that would mean the ESL would have to be on terrestrial tv which would have made it unviable and basically meant it couldn’t get off the ground.   
AKA pedantic kunt
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 1:44pm
With the 6 English clubs it became a threat to the premier league.
If it was 4 the backlash from the BBC/SKY pundits and fans may not have been so great and politicians etc.  may not have got involved (always a winner for a politician). It may still be a runner if 4 English clubs. We’ll never know.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 5:41pm
Few have questioned whether this Fiasco might changed the fans of these clubs in Ireland highly unlikely. In 1995 there may have been Irish Chelsea fans in Lansdowne Road when there supporters (Small Minority) along with others English fans smashed up our ground and caused havoc in our City on that night that they may turn against British football entirely I know I would have but they didn't.  I don't think something as Trivial to a fan watching at home or in his local on a Saturday afternoon in another country would have really changed there relationship with any of those 6 clubs had they Joined this new Competition.
The Topic amongst Football fans in this country following EPL or Supporting League of Ireland clubs is often tiresome and one which many will never agree on but it comes up when big stories like these are in the media its not unthinkable for fans who care about the state of the national team to question whether the actions of thousands of people affect Irelands position in European Football. We need a proper football culture we need the self proclaimed best fans in the world to just be that. 
At the end of day like a couple of posters have said people can spend there time and resources wherever they want they can either continue to get behind these now ex football clubs with owners that don't even care about the ST holders who pack out Old Trafford or Anfield each week never mind the fan here who has no real connection to the place and very Infrequently will do anything other than watch them on the box. They could however get behind a local side and experience a far less Inferior standard of football but none the less they can call it there's I can proudly say I seen Wes Hoolahan in Shels colours as a very young lad. I Can say in a way I helped his progression in even a Small way to then be in Paris four and half years ago and see his goal and assist that got us out of the group was no better feeling. Following an EPL side a feeling like that couldn't happen now with Brexit. For the future the Majority of the Irish born players will have either played League of Ireland or have at least come through the league underage youth systems. I don't think it's much to ask Supporters here to help them footballers and there clubs if they have a club near them. 

Edited by irelandfan - 24 Apr 2021 at 5:43pm
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Football as a community sport in England has for a while now been confined to L1 L2 and NL. Thankfully we have the LOI here, much derided as it is. Its affordable, enjoyable and a lot of teams have a chance of glory at some stage. I think there have been at least 8 different league winners in the last 20 years.

Only 6 posts into a 38 page mega thread, and the LOI was already been brought up. 

Travelling to Derry from Dublin or Cork for an away day trip, and you're looking at not much change from €100, for one person. An overnighter in Ballybofey and you can start the estimates at that amount and keep counting. Not to mention work time lost in the process. Do it twice a year and it's not affordable at all. Do it regularly, and it's a fair chunk of your annual budget gone. 

The Mother Teresa argument has been debated at great length, but if you want people to choose LOI over English leagues, then you need a bit more marketing than "support your local team". 

Last night's big derby game, should be must see tv. Sadly, that's not the case. No marketing, no crowd noise available, no VAR, no goalline technology, no modern pitchside advertising, a handful of cameras available. Little pre match build up, poor quality analysis. That's the biggest game in the country.  The game had no selling point to the casual fan watching, it was a cold, raw unattractive  viewing experience that won't attract a new audience. Beyond that, there's no highlights show, no repeat showings, no midweek preview/review show, no chance to market the clubs or their staff, or get to know their players beyond the 90 minutes on matchday. All this is routine to those who live on a daily diet of EPL football.

It's true that EPL owners don't care about their club's Irish fanbase, any more than they do about their European fanbase, or their Asian fanbase. The feelings are mutual. The Liverpool Documentary on Sky Documentaries, focused extensively on the club's fanbase across the world, from Wuhan to New York to Doha to New Zealand, and they get up at all hours of the day and night to watch the games. It's not just a few pubs in Ireland where Liverpool have an overseas fanbase. When people support a club, they support them for life, not just because who the owners are.

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

First European Cup game I can remember is the Barca v Sampdoria final in 1992. I remember the ECWC final from the year before when United beat Barca. I’ve no real memory of the old European Cup and I don’t want a return to it. It’ll never happen anyway.

Well you missed some penalty shoot out classics, such as Barcelona v Steaua, PSV v Benfica, and Red Star Belgrade v Marseille. They were the highlights of those cup finals.

I would like to see the 3 European club tournaments merged into 1 big tournament. The image of anything that isn't the European Cup is terrible, so merging them into one competition, would give teams from every association to have their day in the sun.

As for the ESL, it was a totally unrealistic project that was never going to happen. UEFA and FIFA, along with the host FA are responsible for organising official games. No club(s) have the authority to create and run a league by themselves, for themselves. No player is permitted to play games without being registered with the club's host association. No player is willing to sacrifice his international career just to play Arsenal and Juventus every week. No UEFA registered match referee is allowed to referee non UEFA or FIFA or host FA games held in Europe. So practically, the league cannot take place, and won't.

The most that could happen is to develop the existing International Champions Cup, already contested by most of the 12 clubs along with others. That would be allowed, and that's as far as UEFA and FIFA are prepared to go.

But it gave Sky something new to talk about, fans something new to get out in the fresh air about, and owners something new to argue the toss about. Draw a fine line about it and move on. 
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 2:58pm
bar the bit about amalgamating the European competitions, that’s a good post planning.

You’re bang on with your comments on the LOI too (even though there’s no need to bring the LOI into the super league debate)
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 4:33pm
I’d like to see:

Revamp the European super cup (CL and EL winners) and expand it out to 8 teams with the winners of the top 6 leagues included.
Then have a simple knockout competition like the old days.
So only the league winners or CL/EL are in it to make it special.
Have this on separate weeks to the champions league.

Champions league - reduce the number of teams. The bottom club in each group get battered. No league should have more than 4 teams max. Keep with the mini league and then knockout.

EL - reduce the number of teams again. It should be more competitive.

EL2 - same as above but should have it’s own night / mid week for games/ TV. 

Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 1:50pm
This is a good read - would be good to see more premier league supporters to stop financially supporting these owners from making a fortune off them and taking them for mugs

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 10:47pm
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 11:10am
Absolutely pathetic joint statement released by Barca, Juve and Real Madrid.

YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Absolutely pathetic joint statement released by Barca, Juve and Real Madrid.

More pressure on one of the last three holdouts:

Juventus face being kicked out of Serie A if the club do not withdraw from the European Super League, Italian football federation (FIGC) president Gabriele Gravina has said.
"The rules are clear. If Juventus is still part of the Super League when it enters next season, it can't participate in Serie A," Gravina told Naples radio station Kiss Kiss.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12961/12302750/european-super-league-juventus-face-serie-a-expulsion-if-breakaway-plans-persist-italian-fa-president

Make it happen, Gaby baby! LOL

Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 10:46pm
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 10:50pm
I assume (and hope) he's taking the piss. LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 11:14pm
If you follow him on twitter you'd know he is indeed taking the piss
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I assume (and hope) he's taking the piss. LOL
LOL
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:58am
He's very funny on Twitter.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 41>
  Share Topic