Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

European Super League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 41>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:03am
where did you get the idea I was a LOI fan.  I didn’t grow up with a team as the county I grew up in didn’t have a team.  When I lived in Dublin I had a team and due to being away for the last 5 years haven’t been able to go to games.  So not sure where you are getting these ideas from.  I haven’t even mentioned the league here.  

You are missing the point.  If football is just a business which you have argued then the ESL is the logical conclusion of such a thought.  However I and many others believe it’s far more
Than that and that there should be community ownership and
The more clubs become owned by billionaires from
Around the world whose only goal is either profit or sports washing the further it gets away from the community and the fans.  When this happen local fans become irrelevant and it’s all about customers and voila you have the European Super League.  It’s no surprise this has come from the 6 premier league clubs and the duopoly in Spain.  The German clubs with their model wanted nothing to do with it.  

It’s comical to see the Man Utd and Liverpool and other fan boys in Ireland get up in arms about something that they are both the cause of and the victim and then to naively think it’s resolved by stopping the ESL for now😀
AKA pedantic kunt
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:07am
you did say earlier that of course you were going to support a league where the majority of the Irish internationals play.   So I
am guessing you will be supporting Sheff Utd in the Championship next season.  The premier league certainly doesn’t have many of our team in it anymore.  LOL Maybe Preston or Portsmouth might do either. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Im The Gaffer View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Im The Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

where did you get the idea I was a LOI fan.  I didn’t grow up with a team as the county I grew up in didn’t have a team.  When I lived in Dublin I had a team and due to being away for the last 5 years haven’t been able to go to games.  So not sure where you are getting these ideas from.  I haven’t even mentioned the league here.  

You are missing the point.  If football is just a business which you have argued then the ESL is the logical conclusion of such a thought.  However I and many others believe it’s far more
Around the world whose only goal is either profit or sports washing the further it gets away from the community and the fans.  When this happen local fans become irrelevant and it’s all about customers and voila you have the European Super League.  It’s no surprise this has come from the 6 premier league clubs and the duopoly in Spain.  The German clubs with their model wanted nothing to do with it.  

It’s comical to see the Man Utd and Liverpool and other fan boys in Ireland get up in arms about something that they are both the cause of and the victim and then to naively think it’s resolved by stopping the ESL for now😀
I've read what you've had to say. It amounts to little more than sneering at others and ironically acts in favour of the worst sort of ownership of football clubs and is a carte blanche for them to take over the sport entirely. The very same people who got this stopped are the people you are sneering at.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:14am
Originally posted by Im The Gaffer Im The Gaffer wrote:

I've read what you've had to say. It amounts to little more than sneering at others and ironically acts in favour of the worst sort of ownership of football clubs and is a carte blanche for them to take over the sport entirely. The very same people who got this stopped are the people you are sneering at.

The point is good enough for you.  If you become a slave to the premier league and all that goes with well the live with the consequences.  The clubs don’t give a sh*t about you or if you believe in the spirit of Shankly.  They are laughing at you as they count their millions and laugh at the legacy fans.  They will regroup and be ready for the next battle but they are winning the way.  Until the ownership model in England changes things will only get worse.  You even have Carrragher and Neville belatedly calling for this.  But you don’t care as long as Liverpool keep on winning and you can wind your Manc mates up down the pub that’s all that matters.  What got this stopped was the counter bid from UEFA simple as that. 

Edited by Baldrick - 22 Apr 2021 at 9:15am
AKA pedantic kunt
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:15am
I don’t believe for a second the esl was ever a runner, this was just a cynical political move by the big multinationals to get more power over uefa , they will now be modifying the cl and making it the top earners closed shop they want.a esl if you like. Don’t believe we’ll ever see another forest, steua, villa, red star type outside bet get near a final let alone win it.
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Im The Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:16am

you did say earlier that of course you were going to support a league where the majority of the Irish internationals play.   So I
am guessing you will be supporting Sheff Utd in the Championship next season.  The premier league certainly doesn’t have many of our team in it anymore.  LOL Maybe Preston or Portsmouth might do either. 
So your argument is that people should shop around and switch allegiance to football teams like a "rational consumer". Deary me. The ultra-capitalist ethos in a nutshell.
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Im The Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:21am

The point is good enough for you.  If you become a slave to the premier league and all that goes with well the live with the consequences.  The clubs don’t give a sh*t about you or if you believe in the spirit of Shankly.  They are laughing at you as they count their millions and laugh at the legacy fans.  They will regroup and be ready for the next battle but they are winning the way.  Until the ownership model in England changes things will only get worse.  You even have Carrragher and Neville belatedly calling for this.  But you don’t care as long as Liverpool keep on winning and you can wind your Manc mates up down the pub that’s all that matters.  What got this stopped was the counter bid from UEFA simple as that. 
But you haven't made points. Your entire understanding of football and what it means seems to be be framed through cliched caricatures you've come up with.
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Im The Gaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:26am
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

I don’t believe for a second the esl was ever a runner,
You believe wrong. Florentino Perez was back on Spanish television last night going all Trump over its failure. The execution of the plan was thankfully Keystone Cops stuff but it was absolutely serious in its intention.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:41am
Agnelli was second in command in UEFA I think. He gave up that job and he was the head of the ECA. These lads were 100% serious. They’re just a bunch of f**kin idiots.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 10:39am
Glad to see the "All against ESL" love in has ended and we've got back to pedantic arguments. 
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 10:50am
This might be dead in the water now but the bigger issues still exist these 6 clubs were seriously willing to go ahead with this so much so that they signed binding contracts. What's to stop them trying it again in the future 
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 10:54am

So your argument is that people should shop around and switch allegiance to football teams like a "rational consumer". Deary me. The ultra-capitalist ethos in a nutshell.

No I am saying your reasons for why you support Liverpool do not hold up as you said how could you support a team or a league where Irish internationals don’t play.  Extending that logic out, Liverpool haven’t had many Irish players of late.  Ireland is irrelevant to Liverpool Football Club. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 10:59am

Always come across as a dyed in the wool Bozo
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Always come across as a dyed in the wool Bozo

Yeah I support Bohs,  far from dyed in the wool though.  For various geographical reasons haven’t been a regular at Dalymount in a while.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 11:04am

I don’t believe for a second the esl was ever a runner, this was just a cynical political move by the big multinationals to get more power over uefa , they will now be modifying the cl and making it the top earners closed shop they want.a esl if you like. Don’t believe we’ll ever see another forest, steua, villa, red star type outside bet get near a final let alone win it.
Ajax and Spurs came close in recent years but I take your point. The only way an 'outsider' could win if they are heavily bank rolled, someone like Zenit or Spartak. But as soon as they are successful they become part of the cartel. Anyway the FF rulesvhave been constructed to keep it a closed shop.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Glad to see the "All against ESL" love in has ended and we've got back to pedantic arguments. 

When an argument isn’t black & white, the answer won’t be either. Some posters really don’t understand that 

Edited by 9fingers - 22 Apr 2021 at 11:46am
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 11:50am

Ajax and Spurs came close in recent years but I take your point. The only way an 'outsider' could win if they are heavily bank rolled, someone like Zenit or Spartak. But as soon as they are successful they become part of the cartel. Anyway the FF rulesvhave been constructed to keep it a closed shop.

Look what happened to Ajax and Monaco who came close recently, their best players were quickly bought up by the big clubs.

The top clubs have a monopoly now.
The only way to enter the top is having billionaires owners (Man City / Chelsea) who have no problem dumping 1bn into the club for success. 

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Look what happened to Ajax and Monaco who came close recently, their best players were quickly bought up by the big clubs.

The top clubs have a monopoly now.
The only way to enter the top is having billionaires owners (Man City / Chelsea) who have no problem dumping 1bn into the club for success. 

That also happened to Red Star pretty soon after they won the European Cup

for example :
Vladmir Jugovic went to Sampdoria 
Robert Prosinecki went to Real Madrid
Sinisa Mihajlovic went to Roma
Darko Pancev went to Inter
Dejan Savicevic went to AC Milan

Even the Steaua team was picked apart pretty soon after their win in 1989

Same with the Ajax team of 95 in was only another year or two before the likes of Seedorf, Kluivert, Davids, Overmars for example were bought up 

Edited by lassassinblanc - 22 Apr 2021 at 12:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 41>
  Share Topic