You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

European Super League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 41>
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Like most of top level franchise football it would be for consumers, not fans.

Aren’t all fans costumers in some capacity? Buying sky/BT to watch games, tickets, training gear/jerseys etc etc We’re very much both. What would fans want? To watch Man Utd v the best weekly or v WBA/Fulham. 
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:26pm
It is absolutely hilarious seeing clips from Sky Sports giving out about greed in football! I really hope this is true, the court cases and fallout from all these money-grabbing bastards will be far, far more entertaining than any Super Sunday!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by TigerRoll TigerRoll wrote:

Aren’t all fans costumers in some capacity? Buying sky/BT to watch games, tickets, training gear/jerseys etc etc We’re very much both. What would fans want? To watch Man Utd v the best weekly or v WBA/Fulham. 
I would argue that there aren't too many Fans at any of the big franchises, hence why they are franchises. Anyone giving money to Sky or BT are also part of the problem.
We can agree on the fact we both want it to happen, Tops! You for rampant libertarian globalisation and me for the hilarity that will ensue.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:31pm

Not all fans subsist on a diet of Champions League fixtures as a neutral.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:31pm

I’d rather just keep football as it is tbh, it isn’t perfect but is better than watching 10 or 12 teams from across Europe, some of whom wont finish in their top 6 this season, play each other all season 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

It’s a great idea. Hopefully goes ahead, from a fans perspective being able to travel across Europe for weekends in Europe to watch the best in Europe. 

It’s already been financed by JP Morgan. Curious to see further details on how it would work and in what format.

Wise up Byrne
It’s an awful idea and would end football 
It was already destroyed, people are just clinging on to an illusion. This will put it out of its memory.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:32pm
UEFA is meeting tomorrow to discuss revamping the CL, so this story sounds like a scare tactic from these clubs 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:34pm

UEFA is meeting tomorrow to discuss revamping the CL, so this story sounds like a scare tactic from these clubs 
It's the same old thing on repeat. They push a Super League breakaway and UEFA then bend over backwards to keep them and we get a Champions League that is even more in thrall to the main clubs and franchises and repeat, until the CL is officially a European Super League in all but name. It more or less is now.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:35pm
A European super league has been talked about every couple of years for the last 15-20 years 
Can’t see this one happening either 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:35pm
PM has it correct. 

And I cant help but feel that the motivations of individual clubs are pretty transparent. I suspect this "Six" that is being mentioned will curiously not include Leicester City.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:36pm

It's the same old thing on repeat. They push a Super League breakaway and UEFA then bend over backwards to keep them and we get a Champions League that is even more in thrall to the main clubs and franchises and repeat, until the CL is officially a European Super League in all but name. It more or less is now.

Well when teams who don’t finish in their top 4 start qualifying for it then I’d agree 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:39pm

Well when teams who don’t finish in their top 4 start qualifying for it then I’d agree 

And that is the inevitable next step. There has already been murmurings of 'heritage teams' and the like. I wouldn't be surprised if the outcome of this will be the 12 or 14 richest teams, the only ones that can win the bloody thing in most cases, will qualify automatically and even less entries from teams outside the so-called big 5 leagues.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:39pm

Its staring Arsenal, Spurs and (to an extent) Liverpool in the face right now. There is almost something comical about Arsenal who have been in decline for over 15 years, and Spurs who have won one cup of substance in the past 20 years being involved.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

PM has it correct. 

And I cant help but feel that the motivations of individual clubs are pretty transparent. I suspect this "Six" that is being mentioned will curiously not include Leicester City.
Utd, City, LFC, Arsenal, Spurs and probably Chelsea. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:40pm
They should be meeting tomorrow to reduce the size of the competition not increase it 
TigerRoll View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:41pm

I would argue that there aren't too many Fans at any of the big franchises, hence why they are franchises. Anyone giving money to Sky or BT are also part of the problem.
We can agree on the fact we both want it to happen, Tops! You for rampant libertarian globalisation and me for the hilarity that will ensue.

Why aren’t they fans? I am curious. What makes an individual a fan or customer. Someone living in Stretford who goes to Old Trafford weekly, buys a shirt and has sky isn’t a fan as he takes part in these activities. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:42pm

A lot are clowns alright
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 5:43pm

They should be meeting tomorrow to reduce the size of the competition not increase it 
There will, I suspect, also be pressure from the bigger franchises in the EPL to cut the league to allow for more CL match days. I expect similar pressure to be applied to international football, but FIFA will be a tougher nut to crack on that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 41>
  Share Topic