You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jamie McGrath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 4:27pm
Scored a pen.
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 8:23am
Sounds like there's a reasonable chance he'll be moving club today - linked to Aberdeen and Middlesbrough. Presumably he's in Portugal at the moment, hopefully any move doesn't require him to leave the Ireland camp.

As a general point it's bad enough that they've squashed the international window into these three game blocks with no real preparation time, without having the transfer deadline right in the middle of the international break as well.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 8:58am
Would rather he went to Aberdeen than Boro Dead
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 3:57pm
Decent compilation on YouTube:

Looks bigger than 5’ 9”. Quite physical for a creative player
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 4:09pm
A move to Middlesbrough would be a massive opportunity for him if it does come off. A club that is being rebuilt this season and a manager with a terrific record of getting teams promoted to the PL. A life changer financially too compared with what Aberdeen could offer.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

A move to Middlesbrough would be a massive opportunity for him if it does come off. A club that is being rebuilt this season and a manager with a terrific record of getting teams promoted to the PL. A life changer financially too compared with what Aberdeen could offer.

If you had to pick what I'd call a top 10 Championship club for Mcgrath you would go Middleborough arguably! They are not exactly littered with midfielders and creative ones in particular so hopefully will be playing regularly.

Edited by kevin100 - 31 Aug 2021 at 4:17pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 7:13am
The Middlesbrough deal fell through around 11pm. There was then a late deal agreed with Hibs involving cash and two players going the other way just before the Scottish transfer window closed at midnight but it seems the paperwork didn't go through in time and he remains a St Mirren player. 

Will have been a strange night for him out in Portugal with all that going on.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 9:36am
Tough luck on McGrath but his contract is up next summer so he could move for nothing then or for something in the January window, provided he keeps delivering the way he has been.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 10:44am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The Middlesbrough deal fell through around 11pm. There was then a late deal agreed with Hibs involving cash and two players going the other way just before the Scottish transfer window closed at midnight but it seems the paperwork didn't go through in time and he remains a St Mirren player. 

Better off holding on where he is and being the main man for half a season than moving to Hibs and having to re-establish himself and he still would need another move to get to a level equivalent of the Championship. 

A real pity he didn't get to Boro but onus on him to put in a good shift for the first half of the season and get a good move. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Better off holding on where he is and being the main man for half a season than moving to Hibs and having to re-establish himself and he still would need another move to get to a level equivalent of the Championship. 

A real pity he didn't get to Boro but onus on him to put in a good shift for the first half of the season and get a good move. 

It's also good for Ronan. If he's still viewed as a starter it should be a midfield three of him, Power, and McGrath.

Rather than coming in and replacing Jamie McGrath, he'll probably be playing deeper alongside Alan Power whose vastly experienced.

If McGrath moves on in Jan then they can either move Ronan higher up the pitch and bring in someone to play deeper, or try bring someone in to replace McGrath if Ronan is playing well deeper.
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

It's also good for Ronan. If he's still viewed as a starter it should be a midfield three of him, Power, and McGrath.

Rather than coming in and replacing Jamie McGrath, he'll probably be playing deeper alongside Alan Power whose vastly experienced.

If McGrath moves on in Jan then they can either move Ronan higher up the pitch and bring in someone to play deeper, or try bring someone in to replace McGrath if Ronan is playing well deeper.

Nicely put. I think Ronan's arrival might help him. McGrath receives a fair bit of attention from the opposition and the presence of another creative player might remove some of that.
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 11:41pm
Didn't look overawed at all. Pity he didn't get a move to Middlesbrough. Though it might be a saving grace the move to Hibernian fell through.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 11:48pm
He played very well, I've seen nothing of him so far and for a guy starting for the first time, he was excellent. Normal consensus is that it takes 10 games or so to adapt to international football. He's a very welcome addition to our midfield options from now on. Be great to see him get a move to a bigger club off the back of some good international performances over the next few months.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:07am
I think we might have found the #10 we've been crying out for.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 12:17am
I liked Mcgrath tonight played well kept the ball efficiently. Be very interesting to see can he back it up against Azerbaijan now I'm guessing he will start. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 8:41am
Hope he's fit to start Tuesday. Looked good Thumbs Up
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:13am
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

He played very well, I've seen nothing of him so far and for a guy starting for the first time, he was excellent. Normal consensus is that it takes 10 games or so to adapt to international football. He's a very welcome addition to our midfield options from now on. Be great to see him get a move to a bigger club off the back of some good international performances over the next few months.
Out of contract at end of the season and will move then. Was due to go to Boro  and then Hibs on deadline day but both deals fell through. Boro a better option than Hibs no doubt.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 9:23am
Was very impressed with him, seemed to always pick the right pass on the break to set Idah or Connolly free.

He also appears to be quite athletic and energetic which compliments Josh Cullen nicely in the middle.

Last night was a huge step up in standard compared to what he is used to, but if he can adapt to Championship football (when he moves) as easily then there's no reason why he can't impress at that level and beyond.

Fair play to Kenny for selecting him, O'Neill, Mick, Trap etc would never opt for such a wildcard selection.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>
  Share Topic