You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jamie McGrath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 6:41pm
I assume these are the standard of club that Goodwin was referencing in his comments about the right club and right fee for the player and club. 
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 6:52pm
Wigan ffs. Better off staying put for the moment
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 8:56pm
Not much difference in SPL / League One football wise but shows the sway the EFL teams have in signing players with the wages on offer. Even relegation fodder like Wigan can probably offer him double what hes on up there. Hopefully he is career driven rather than financially. Not that Id begrudge him for that, its a short career and they have to make the most of it but hes a fantastic player with plenty of potential and plenty of time to make it at a higher level.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Wigan have a bid turned down for Jamie McGrath; Rotherham have a bid turned down for Conor McCarthy: https://www.the42.ie/jamie-mcgrath-5503988-Jul2021/.

Wigan finished 20th in League One last season.

Pretty underwhelmed by this TBH.

Probably a reflection of where people view the standard of the SPL

I'd say every one hoped it would be an offer from a club at a higher level, even in L1, but I'd say you're right.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 11:17pm
League One is a decent level and significantly more lucrative if you are a player than St. Mirren in the SPL. Credit to Jim Goodwin for giving McGrath and McCarthy their chance but Wigan and Rotherham would be a step up if those moves materialise. Wigan will be better next season and Rotherham likely to bounce back to the Championship. Aberdeen are obviously a good SPL team but financially unlikely to be able to offer enough for McGrath.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 11:33pm
I cant imagine Wigan who are league 1 for a few years now can offer that much more than St Mirren. Didnt they have money issues recently or almost go into administration. I kinda forget. Either way they not on PL money nowadays. Plus factor in Covid. They would hardly have money to throw around. I assume Mcgrath would be on 1000-1500 at St Mirren. Im assuming around this.
I love beer gardens
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 12:07am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I cant imagine Wigan who are league 1 for a few years now can offer that much more than St Mirren. Didnt they have money issues recently or almost go into administration. I kinda forget. Either way they not on PL money nowadays. Plus factor in Covid. They would hardly have money to throw around. I assume Mcgrath would be on 1000-1500 at St Mirren. Im assuming around this.

According to a number of reliable online sources hes currently on £650 p/w at St Mirren.

The average weekly wage bill at Wigan at present is around £1800. There higher earners are on £3-8k p/w.

A player of his age and after the season hes just had could see him earn £1200-1500 p/w there.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 5:51am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 6:42am

I'd be very surprised if he's earning over 1k a week. Probably closer to £500, the wages at the smaller SPL teams are low but it can be a good place to go to make a name for yourself, small squads and plenty of first team opportunities. Plus the chance to play at great stadiums like Celtic Park, Ibrox, Easter Road and potentially Hampden.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 7:14am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I'd be very surprised if he's earning over 1k a week. Probably closer to £500, the wages at the smaller SPL teams are low but it can be a good place to go to make a name for yourself, small squads and plenty of first team opportunities. Plus the chance to play at great stadiums like Celtic Park, Ibrox, Easter Road and potentially Hampden.
He would’ve been on more than £500 with Dundalk 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 11:25am
Probably, but St Mirren would still have been a worthwhile move for him in terms of putting himself in the shop window.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 11:44am
I would be surprised if there wasn’t higher “ranked” clubs more so pushing up League 1 interested in him. Wigan would be able to offer him more money then St Mirren for all St Mirren are probably a bottom 6-10 League 1 team the standard isn’t too far removed. 

I would also say if McGrath was to back up at a League 1 club what he did at St Mirren he might find himself in line for another transfer after a year or two. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 1:15am

Confused
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 8:53pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

The lads who were hoping for better interest then Wigan will be happy anyways. 

Interesting Watford have been linked with Lewis Ferguson at Aberdeen also a similar type player. Wonder will they sign one of them. I suspect 750k plus a selling on fee would have McGrath sealed and he only a year left on his contract.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 9:21pm
Who knows if there is any real truth in it but realistically he would not see any gametime at Watford. I would say there is zero chance this would happen. 
I love beer gardens
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 7:44am
He'd be better off going to Wigan being honest, at least he'd get game time there. He's not ready for the EPL at this point.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 2:49pm
Starts their first game of the season again Dundee anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>
  Share Topic