You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jamie McGrath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 25>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 6:18pm
It's more just the sheer number of players at Celtic that makes things difficult and that they seem to sign at least half a dozen new ones every transfer window. I've seen too many good SPL players go there and get frozen out over the years because they've gone and signed a player from further afield for a few million and feel they need to pick that player to justify the transfer fee.

My view on Celtic is by all means go there if they're willing to shell out 2 million plus for you, because you can be sure they'll play you then. But if you're a free transfer or a cheap signing from St Mirren it's too easy for them to buy someone else as well and give them the first team opportunities instead.
Sponsored Links

Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 7:04pm
Yeah, it's a step up from St. Mirren, but as others said - underwhelming. Maybe he'd be better off holding out until the summer, better offers could pop up off the back of playing a few more Ireland games in June.
turbo10 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 7:19pm

My view on Celtic is by all means go there if they're willing to shell out 2 million plus for you, because you can be sure they'll play you then. But if you're a free transfer or a cheap signing from St Mirren it's too easy for them to buy someone else as well and give them the first team opportunities instead.
[/QUOTE You Tell Me

I get your point alright. Its all hypothetical anyways as there's no links with Celtic, and he possibly wouldn't fit their high tempo attacking style anyways. If they did come in for him, it would be key that Ange genuinely wanted him and rated him. In Lennons time Celtic signed hoardes of youngsters in the hope one or two might come good, like Frimpong did. 

It's still early in the window. I'd say there's a good chance better offers will come along. St Mirren will be keen to sell, but if I was him I wouldn't be jumping at Aberdeen. He can always hold off till the summer and go somewhere on a free.

Edited by turbo10 - 10 Jan 2022 at 7:20pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 7:26pm
Listen im sure there are lots of Aberdeen fans who might be just as underwhelmed as we might be him going there. Think about that. Its better for us if hes playing weekly no matter where that is. 

Edited by doherty - 10 Jan 2022 at 7:26pm
I love beer gardens
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Listen im sure there are lots of Aberdeen fans who might be just as underwhelmed as we might be him going there. Think about that. Its better for us if hes playing weekly no matter where that is. 
Okay so, he should stay at St Mirren. Or he might get a move back to Dundalk. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:40pm
Jamie McGrath? Never heard of him. Sounds sh*te.

https://www.afc-chat.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/45864-jamie-mcgrath/page/2/#comments

LOL

12 pages of discussing the topic of McGrath with very little comments about McGrath!

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Okay so, he should stay at St Mirren. Or he might get a move back to Dundalk. 

did you even read what i said
I love beer gardens
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 11:55pm
not a bad next step
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 9:16am
Aberdeen move reported to be off after he stalled on signing a pre-contract due to interest from England. Wigan and Birmingham apparently interested now.
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Sounds sensible.by him. By all accounts he looks like he could be a good player. 
If he flops in Championship/League One you'd imagine Aberdeen (or similar) would still be in for him. It's a no brainer to take a chance in England really.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:41am
https://twitter.com/PLZSoccer/status/1483106846583840770

"There's a pressure to being an Aberdeen player that's not for everyone".

Someone's a bit upset McGrath turned them down.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 10:52am
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

https://twitter.com/PLZSoccer/status/1483106846583840770

"There's a pressure to being an Aberdeen player that's not for everyone".

Someone's a bit upset McGrath turned them down.

To be fair Jamie probably had more pressure in games he played with Dundalk than he would ever have playing for Aberdeen. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:55pm
Not in the match day squad tonight, would the transfer be that far ahead for him not to be included?
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:04pm
Injured apparently. Unfortunate timing as the Wigan head scout is reported to have travelled up to watch him tonight.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Injured apparently. Unfortunate timing as the Wigan head scout is reported to have travelled up to watch him tonight.

Luck of the Irish.
turbo10 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

He can do a lot better than Wigan
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

Not in the match day squad tonight, would the transfer be that far ahead for him not to be included?

As mentioned hes injured, but he wont be going anywhere this window. Hes into the final 6 months of his contract and clubs are negotiating pre contract agreements for him to sign on a free in the summer when he contacts runs out.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by darman28 darman28 wrote:

As mentioned hes injured, but he wont be going anywhere this window. Hes into the final 6 months of his contract and clubs are negotiating pre contract agreements for him to sign on a free in the summer when he contacts runs out.

Oh right, I thought St Mirren might try to sell him on the cheap in this window to try and get something for him?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 25>
  Share Topic