You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jamie McGrath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 25>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 2:31pm
Some players handle the step up to the SPL and the national team better than others though. McEneff went to Hearts with high hopes and can't get in the team. Horgan was average at best overall at Hibs. Byrne already has had a poor stint in Scotland and didn't particularly stand out for the national team when he got his chance.

McGrath looks a cut above all these players, even if he didn't really show it in the LoI, he has gone to Scotland and done really well, come in to the Ireland team and done really well, he just seems to have a much higher ceiling than the others, including Byrne. Probably more willing to put the effort in that's needed to succeed also if we're being honest.
Sponsored Links

50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Los Aros Los Aros wrote:

Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

Fine performances and looks like he will kick on from this hopefully.  
All the JAck Byrne bedwetters have gone very quiet I see.  
Jack Byrne was levels ahead of him when they were both in the loi.

Nobodys calling for Byrne to be in the squad right now sure he doesn't even have a club. It shows that he should have been given a better chance and could bring something to the team in the future if he gets the right move.

Difference is that McGrath has kicked on massively since his LOI days (as Jim Goodwin had informed SK and was proven right). 

Fair enough that he wasn't given the opportunity in Cyprus and need the right move now. 

B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Some players handle the step up to the SPL and the national team better than others though. McEneff went to Hearts with high hopes and can't get in the team. Horgan was average at best overall at Hibs. Byrne already has had a poor stint in Scotland and didn't particularly stand out for the national team when he got his chance.

McGrath looks a cut above all these players, even if he didn't really show it in the LoI, he has gone to Scotland and done really well, come in to the Ireland team and done really well, he just seems to have a much higher ceiling than the others, including Byrne. Probably more willing to put the effort in that's needed to succeed also if we're being honest.

Yeah. Very hard to predict.

Richie Towell and Seanie Maguire were superstars in LOI and did little in England.

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by B6 6HE B6 6HE wrote:

Richie Towell and Seanie Maguire were superstars in LOI and did little in England.

Tbf to Maguire, he's made a decent living for himself in the Championship and has started 6 of PNE's last 7.
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Tbf to Maguire, he's made a decent living for himself in the Championship and has started 6 of PNE's last 7.

I genuinely think Maguire would have been our next PL attacker after Shane Long and before Robinson/Connolly Idah if he wasn't decimated with injuries. Injuries have set him back so much even still hes a solid Championship player.  He scored 10 in 26 in his first season. They are decent numbers.

Hopefully Scales can go the way of McGrath now as it would be a good advertisement for the League if he could.

Edited by kevin100 - 14 Oct 2021 at 3:01pm
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 3:04pm

Maguire hasn't been the same since a couple of bad hamstring injuries. At one point, he looked like he could have a higher ceiling. Anyways, he's not even the focal point up front. So that mitigates his lack of goals, but he does need to do better if he's to keep his place in the team.

Not sure he's up to Intl level.

savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 3:08pm

Fine performances and looks like he will kick on from this hopefully.  
All the JAck Byrne bedwetters have gone very quiet I see.  
Jack Byrne was levels ahead of him when they were both in the loi.

Nobodys calling for Byrne to be in the squad right now sure he doesn't even have a club. It shows that he should have been given a better chance and could bring something to the team in the future if he gets the right move.

Byrne was not levels ahead of McGrath in the LOI, the Rovers fans and Dublin media had a hard on for him and couldn't see beyond him.  McGrath was brilliant at Dundalk, criminally underrated in the media.  Byrne is a decent player but he's failed again yet people just make excuses for him, again.  There seems to be a common denominator in all these failures and it is not the clubs.....  
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Maguire hasn't been the same since a couple of bad hamstring injuries. At one point, he looked like he could have a higher ceiling. Anyways, he's not even the focal point up front. So that mitigates his lack of goals, but he does need to do better if he's to keep his place in the team.

Not sure he's up to Intl level.

Agreed, he isn't, maybe if he had got a clear run with injuries he could have been. Still only 27, but he's not the type of striker that generally improves with age, so that ship may have sailed, but who knows, maybe he'll enjoy a purple patch, however unlikely that appears right now. He is playing regularly at Championship level.

Still he got himself 10 odd caps plus an international goal and he's earned himself a decent living from the game, not many get that far, so it's not all bad.
Idah Dream!
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 3:32pm
Maguire's biggest problem is those eyebrows!  LOL
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 6:03pm
Jamie McGrath at just 25 years old looks like he could be an excellent player for us in the years to come. Kenny deserves a lot of credit here for being brave enough to stick him in and go with him. If McGrath can get a good transfer in Jan, he could be playing at a decent level for the next 5-7 years and be a key player for us.
In that 5-2-3 formation, he can play as part of the attacking 3 or can drop into midfield and shore up the 2 and make it 5-3-2.
Thats a key part of making a formation like that work.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Jamie McGrath at just 25 years old looks like he could be an excellent player for us in the years to come. Kenny deserves a lot of credit here for being brave enough to stick him in and go with him. If McGrath can get a good transfer in Jan, he could be playing at a decent level for the next 5-7 years and be a key player for us.
In that 5-2-3 formation, he can play as part of the attacking 3 or can drop into midfield and shore up the 2 and make it 5-3-2.

Agreed, his emergence as a genuine first team option in a tricky position for us is great news. It's early days of course, but the good news is that Knight is another that looks like he could be well suited to that role in this Chelsea inspired 3-4-2-1. It will allow us to use Robinson in that free role behind the striker where I think Connolly could be a decent back up also. We just need Idah and/or Parrott to kick on and nail down that central striker role ahead of them.
Idah Dream!
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

I honestly wouldn't be desperate for him to leave St Mirren in January. He is already playing at a good enough level for us, while playing in Scotland. Also think the teams in Scotland have went up a level from last year. Why even the glasgow clubs are dropping more points. So the level isn't that bad. His focus will be on us more than st mirren. 

I just think he could get better offers in the summer and its just a far better time to integrate into a team. However, he moved tp st mirren in a january window and i wouldn't rule him out hitting the ground running at another team. 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 8:20pm
He's basically on 32k a year + add ons.

I'd say the majority playing in the Championship are on that a month, and some earn that a week.

Hopefully the rumours are true and he will join Celtic LOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 8:46pm

Byrne was not levels ahead of McGrath in the LOI, the Rovers fans and Dublin media had a hard on for him and couldn't see beyond him.  McGrath was brilliant at Dundalk, criminally underrated in the media.  Byrne is a decent player but he's failed again yet people just make excuses for him, again.  There seems to be a common denominator in all these failures and it is not the clubs.....  

Have to agree. He was obviously a top player but the Shamrock fans and the media had a hard on for him and the hype became a wee bit ridiculous. Good player but he wasnt that far ahead of McGrath or few Dundalk lads imo. 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He's basically on 32k a year + add ons.

I'd say the majority playing in the Championship are on that a month, and some earn that a week.

Hopefully the rumours are true and he will join Celtic LOL

It would certainly make you hungrier to succeed if that's the correct salary 
It would damage this forums' reputation
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

Have to agree. He was obviously a top player but the Shamrock fans and the media had a hard on for him and the hype became a wee bit ridiculous. Good player but he wasnt that far ahead of McGrath or few Dundalk lads imo. 

What about Duffy? Hes always looked a real player 
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 9:36am
This lad looks a tidy player, would like him to stay where he is at least til the summer. Him and big Andy are defo real finds and although I've been critical of our manager he deserves credit for sticking with these lads coz it's  improving us immensely 
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2021 at 1:17pm
As a Celtic fan I hope he comes nowhere near us, we've done nothing but ruin Irish lads careers in recent times and we're doing it to Connell, O'Connor and Afolabi right now.  
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 25>
  Share Topic